MMM or RFM

/ MMM or RFM #1  

Omnipotent

Bronze Member
Ok...another newbie question....assuming "quality" of the cut isn't the most important thing, which is faster at getting the job done? I don't think the tractor would make a difference here, but consider it a 30-40HP CUT.

I'm not talking about the putting on and taking off aspect, although that will influence my decision, but more curious as to which would cut ~4 acres with very little (like 3 or 4) trees and very little landscape quicker?

Also, I'm thinking I will buy my implements used, and I would think it's much easier to fit a 3PT RFM vs getting a MMM used..thoughts?

Thanks

Omni

/ MMM or RFM #2  
The Mid-Mount would be a bit quicker mowing around obstacles...that's about it though.
So, if only a few trees, then both MMM and RFM speed would be limited to the tractor's speed.
If you're concerned about quick, you might be better off with a lawn tractor or zero-turn mower.
It's definitely easier to buy a used RFM then a mid-mount type mower. Craigslist has 5 and 6 foot RFM's posted frequently. I'll see Deere MMM's (again, mostly 5 and 6 footers) on occasion.

/ MMM or RFM #3  
I can"t answer for anyone else but I have a 60" mid mount to go on my Kubota B7100HST-E and it hasn"t been put back on since the day I brought it home. I should sell it. I have mowers for cutting grass. zman

/ MMM or RFM #4  
went through the same decision 3 months ago.

Started out looking at models with mid pto. EVERY dealer (at least the ones who semed to know anything) thought it not a good idea to get mmm unless it would be mostly dedicated to landscape work.

Based on cost alone, the rfm is half as much as mmm, and it is very easy to change out.

as to the tractor, on the low end of your HP scale, i looked at NH t1510, JD 3032e, and Kub L2800, all with hydrostat drive and loader. They all looked good but wound up with Kubota and 5' TaylorWay rfm (very heavy build).

Takes about half of the time a 42" rider takes to mow (3 acres in about 5 hrs) and the ride is much smoother. you don't get as dusty with the rfm either. Got the industrial tires and they do not mar the ground when mowing.

Have been using tractor a lot more than old one! HST, FEL and RFM are all great!

/ MMM or RFM #5  
RFM, for many reasons. Easier on and off, heavier duty construction (components don't have to be down sized to fit it under the tractor), you don't have much trimming arround trees and things (trimming is where the MMM shines over the RFM), and rear finishing mowers are usually less expensive.

/ MMM or RFM #6  
Foot for foot, both mowers would be equal in terms of speed. If you don't have obstacles, the cost of the RFM is less, and others have pointed out, they seem to be available in the used market-and a RFM can stay with you if you change tractors.

Will

/ MMM or RFM #7  
You could not give me a MMM. Main reason is they are generally tough to get on and off and I am lazy. Second is I am in the woods nearly daily. It would get hung up in about 20' and I would either tear the thing all up or just be plain stuck. It would also be a big pain in the rear plowing snow unless I got unlazy and took it off in the fall.

I love my Caroni RFM that is 6' wide and rear discharge. I had a King Kutter 5' side discharge and it was junk and would clump the grass easy if I waited a little too long to cut the lawn.

Chris

/ MMM or RFM #8  
You could not give me a MMM. Main reason is they are generally tough to get on and off and I am lazy. Second is I am in the woods nearly daily. It would get hung up in about 20' and I would either tear the thing all up or just be plain stuck. It would also be a big pain in the rear plowing snow unless I got unlazy and took it off in the fall.

I love my Caroni RFM that is 6' wide and rear discharge. I had a King Kutter 5' side discharge and it was junk and would clump the grass easy if I waited a little too long to cut the lawn.

Chris

I with Diamondpilot on this one. I'm lazy too and the RFM is simple and easy to take on and off. The RFM is easier to service because it is out in the open and not buried underneath the tractor. If you leave your mower on all summer during the mowing season then I think the MMM may be the best choice. But if you have to take the mower on and off several times during mowing season like I do the RFM is a better choice. Even with out frequent mower changes I would prefer greasing and cleaning a RFM over a MMM mower. And I love my Woods PRD7200 6' wide rear discharge. I consider it the Cadillac of RFM mowers.

/ MMM or RFM #9  
Never owned a big FM, but are you not limited in size width on a MM where as a RM can get up to 'monster' wide size ?

/ MMM or RFM #10  
From what I have read in both of your recent threads I would go for a good RFM. Once you have the pastures cut down you may get by with using a good quality RFM for all of it. Would depend on how smooth your pastures are.