BX2200Limitations?

/ BX2200Limitations? #1  

Anonymous Poster

I was just about sold on the BX2200 (thanks to this forum) but was disturbed to see information from the Carver site that indicated that use of backhoe and posthole digger was not available or recommended. Is this true and does anyone else have any experience using these on the BX2200?? Thanks in advance.

/ BX2200Limitations? #2  
You just need to remember that while the BX is a strong small tractor, its still a small tractor. I would think you just don't have the weight to do a safe job digging. You want to be bigger then what you are digging. I belive the saying is" The tail wagging the dog"/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ BX2200Limitations? #3  
The BX2200 will work fine with a post hole digger.........you just need to search to find one with the auger short enough to fit or u will need to have it shortened. If you plan on using a backhoe at all on the BX u need to get the BX22..the same machine as the 2200 with a stronger frame that is design for a backhoe. In fact I think the 22 comes as a unit with backhoe and FEL included.

/ BX2200Limitations? #4  
Don't be disturbed. Several of the smaller compacts specifically state that you cannot use a backhoe with them. The castings or casings or frames simply cannot stand up to the incredible forces exerted by a backhoe. Do some searches here on TBN and you'll find many threads/posts on this subject. The BX is a great tractor. As someone mentioned, they make one that will handle the backhoe, BX22 maybe? Do a little more research and you'll find it /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ BX2200Limitations? #5  
I don't have, and am not planning on either a post hole digger or backhoe. I do have various 3PH stuff, and prefer a RFM. The BX2200 was under consideration for a while. It was more tractor than I really need. When it was time to buy, I went with a B7500HST just to be sure. I'm glad I did...................chim

/ BX2200Limitations? #6  
I think you will be surprised by the performance of the bx. Innitially I went with the bx2200 because most of the time I will mow a 2 acre lawn and per the posts it is a better mower than the 7500. However after getting about 7 hours in the saddle I have used it extensively for digging/land clearing. It has performed admirably. I am sure that a bigger tractor may accomplsh more but am amazed at what this little tractor can do. See the posts by trecrows who states he has found little difference in most performance between the bx and his larger tractor. I also anguished over the decision but know realize the limiting performance of the bx is probably my limited tractor experience. goodluck

/ BX2200Limitations? #7  
As mentioned, you can use a PHD, but it will be necessary to find the right size auger. I have not purchased one to give a specific brand or size, but have done some reading on this.
Also, as previously stated, you MUST buy the BX22 rather than BX2200 in order to get a backhoe. If you need to do serious backhoe work, get a larger tractor. If you have time to take it slower and/or you are not doing 'serious' backhoe work, the BX22 will do a fantastic job. It is very easy to get in a hurry and drag or lift the tractor with the backhoe. The tractor is simply too light to keep this from happening. I expect this is true of most compact tractors - if you look at weight comparisons. You have to get to a 2710 before the tractor weight is more than the BX22 (BX22 = 1520, B7500 = 1367, B2410 = 1477, B2710 = 1760). I realize the respective loaders for each weigh more, you can add more ballast to larger tires, and the backhoes themselves are heavier as you get larger tractor. The bottom line is you have to go slow compared to larger backhoe/tractor units, but you go very FAST compared to a shovel!!
This backhoe will only cost you about $2500 if you compare the BX2200 + FEL to the BX22TLB. That is much, much less than adding a backhoe to larger tractors. For me, I could justify the $2500, but otherwise would been without a BH. It's really pretty amazing how much work this unit will do; more than most would think if they haven't used one!

Terry

/ BX2200Limitations? #8  
i am probably going to stir up a hornets nest here, but in mho, if u need to do any serious BH work, u need a larger tractor. i havea b2400 and would not want to subject it to the stress, caused by using a BH for heavy work. . if u need to do just a few things then the cost is not worth the bh, either rent one or , or hire it out.

/ BX2200Limitations?
Great replies, thanks all for you well thought out responses. I have 5 acres in Alaska(MatSu Valley) which needs clearing. I want to put a rail fence around it and do a lot of landscaping. The posthole digger will be invaluable for the fence job and I guess I can get along without the backhoe. Will think about a larger tractor if my needs for a backhoe persist. I am looking into a dealer in Washington who will ship to Anchorage or buying locally which will add another 2-3K to the cost. Thanks again for the invaluable information.

/ BX2200Limitations? #10  
If you need a backhoe you must purchase the BX22 which comes with one (which can be removed etc). The BX2200 is not designed for a backhoe. Posthole diggers, again about a 1,000 threads here on TBN concerning that, typically the statement is made that the BX2200 cannot handle a postole digger and then a couple of dozen BX owners post pics of their BX tractors doing just fine with posthole diggers. You might also notice the BX brochure shows the BX working a post hole digger as does the operatrors manual provide guidelines for their selection (such as it is). Properly selected, posthole diggers are fine with the BX2200. J