Buying Advice Should A Front Loader Be 4WD?

/ Should A Front Loader Be 4WD? #21  
There's no doubt 4WD w/fel loader your going to do more also better chance getting unstuck,but if 2WD heavy w/good tread also enough rear weight you'd be surprise 2WD can do.

/ Should A Front Loader Be 4WD? #22  
Don't forget to have AG tires on your tractor also. Uh Oh........Back to the ole debate......:)

/ Should A Front Loader Be 4WD? #23  
There's no debate...R4's is where it's at:D:laughing::thumbsup:

/ Should A Front Loader Be 4WD? #24  
There is no single answer to the 2WD vs. 4WD debate because so much depends on circumstances. Does 4WD give an advantage for FEL work? Most of the time, yes. Is 4WD necessary with a FEL? Not in every instance. Beyond that, every situation is so different, you have to decide case by case what is necessary to get the job done, at what cost, and in what time frame. Maybe the only general rules are, a) the heavier the use and b) the smaller the tractor, the more benefit is gained from 4WD.

So, to genusCastor, can you get a little more specific with your needs? You said it's sandy ground and I'd guess no real winter in East Tx. Probably no major hills and gullies, and seasonally dry vs. wet. But what will you be doing with it? Are ya thinking big frame ag tractor with FEL for use on a farm, compact tractor for general chores, landscaping, land clearing, etc., or what? Depending on what you will be doing, you may be just fine with an older 2WD like that Ford. Then again, maybe not.

/ Should A Front Loader Be 4WD? #25  
Full sized Utility tractors (4000 lbs or more) would be what I'd want with 2WD and a loader.
Bottom line: Traction is the key. If you get that traction with 4WD (compacts) or weight (big UTs) would depend upon your circumstances

I suppose it's all perspective. I don't consider a tractor a full sized utility tractor until around 10,000 pounds. Still, with 12,000 and 14,000 pound tractors it makes a huge difference if I'm in 4wd vs 2wd. Positively no comparison. I can use just 2wd if I want. No thanks! I can dig a pond with a spade or an excavator, so the argument that you can do the same with a 2wd as a 4wd is a bit off the mark as well.

Also, I'm sorry, (nothing with your statement Roy, just posting here) but I just can't take the BS anymore of people saying that a 4X4 tractor or truck will just get you stuck worse than a 2X4 tractor or truck. That's just plain bravo sierra and nothing less. I've spent half of my life driving vehicles and equipment off road. If someone believes that statement, they flat out do not know how to drive!

/ Should A Front Loader Be 4WD? #26  
There is no single answer to the 2WD vs. 4WD debate because so much depends on circumstances. Does 4WD give an advantage for FEL work? Most of the time, yes.

When would it NOT be an advantage????

/ Should A Front Loader Be 4WD? #27  
The guy loading mulch down at our landscape supply place doesn't need his 4WD much... beyond that, well... :thumbsup:

/ Should A Front Loader Be 4WD? #28  
Today many beleive 4WD is needed for everything.
Don

Yeah, you have to be careful with the "correct" opinion that everybody wants to have. A 4wd won't be any heavier in the rear than a 2wd; it just steers easier with a load in the loader because the front wheels are powered, that's all. The "seesaw" effect is still there.

The weight of the tractor makes a big difference, too. My Mahindra 4025 weighs about 4200 lbs. The loader is another 1500. Plus the tires are full of fluid, another 400-500 lbs. And there's another 600 pounds on the back by snatching up the 6' box blade with the quick hitch when you're using the loader. So right there you're pushing 7,000 lbs. There are a LOT of tractors with loaders out there that really shouldn't have loaders. But loaders are a "hot" item, so manufacturers stick them on there. Same with 4wd.

/ Should A Front Loader Be 4WD?
Grandad4 said:
So, to genusCastor, can you get a little more specific with your needs? You said it's sandy ground and I'd guess no real winter in East Tx. Probably no major hills and gullies, and seasonally dry vs. wet. But what will you be doing with it? Are ya thinking big frame ag tractor with FEL for use on a farm, compact tractor for general chores, landscaping, land clearing, etc., or what? Depending on what you will be doing, you may be just fine with an older 2WD like that Ford. Then again, maybe not.
Right now I'll be doing some dirt moving/leveling and driveway/turnaround building. Later on after the driveway is set, it'll just be typical driveway maintenance (750' driveway). I'll also be bush hogging (10 acres), moving round hay bales, fencing, and occasionally disking the field (growth maintenance).

I should also add that I'm not in a real hurry to purchase, I can borrow a tractor. But I don't want to be without my own tractor for an extended period, either. And I don't want to spend much; $8k is just about my limit. I hate to borrow money. ;)

Thanks for all the replies, this is good. :)

- djb

/ Should A Front Loader Be 4WD? #30  
I suppose it's all perspective. I don't consider a tractor a full sized utility tractor until around 10,000 pounds. Still, with 12,000 and 14,000 pound tractors it makes a huge difference if I'm in 4wd vs 2wd. Positively no comparison. I can use just 2wd if I want. No thanks! I can dig a pond with a spade or an excavator, so the argument that you can do the same with a 2wd as a 4wd is a bit off the mark as well.

Also, I'm sorry, (nothing with your statement Roy, just posting here) but I just can't take the BS anymore of people saying that a 4X4 tractor or truck will just get you stuck worse than a 2X4 tractor or truck. That's just plain bravo sierra and nothing less. I've spent half of my life driving vehicles and equipment off road. If someone believes that statement, they flat out do not know how to drive!

Dargo, I agree with you on the weights...4000 lbs is still in the CUT territory.

I also agree with your second paragraph...especially with the caveat "they flat out do not know how to drive" and I'll add "have a modicum of common sense".