Buying Advice Should A Front Loader Be 4WD?

/ Should A Front Loader Be 4WD? #1  

genusCastor

Silver Member
Tractor
see sig
I read a comment on here that got me thinking: A tractor with a front loader should be a 4WD because a 2WD tractor doesn't have enough traction to operate a loader. Is this true? Having grown up on a farm and worked on a dairy farm, I am somewhat familiar with tractors. But I have very little experience with front loaders...

Thanks.

- djb

/ Should A Front Loader Be 4WD? #2  
4wd greatly enhances the operation of a tractor with a loader, power steering is a plus also.

/ Should A Front Loader Be 4WD? #3  
Much better braking also. Everything is a plus getting 4WD..

/ Should A Front Loader Be 4WD? #4  
There are some pretty long threads on this with a lot of people successfully using a 2WD tractor and loader. For my conditions a 4WD is essential as we tried a 2WD and traded it in after about a month or so.

/ Should A Front Loader Be 4WD? #5  
With enough ballast (weight in the rear), you would probably be ok with 2wd. With that said, even with the loaded tires and the backhoe mounted on my tractor, the rear can get light when lifting something real heavy like a rock or something that maxes out the loader. I wouldn't want a tractor loader without 4wd, that's for sure. With nothing mounted on the back of the tractor, the loader is pretty useless without 4wd as the rear tires come off the ground even when lifting a bucket full of sand.

/ Should A Front Loader Be 4WD? #6  
I think that with a lightweight tractor, as many are these days with the popularity of compact tractors on the rise, 4WD is nothing short of mandatory. With heavier tractors, IF you operate on relatively level ground and not in sinking soil, 2WD can serve you well.

My JD 5045D weighs in well above 6,000 pounds. I live on relatively flat, firm soil. It is 2WD and is working out very well for me. Another member here has had the same tractor for over a year, using it in the same conditions as myself and has reported very good success.

All that said, everyones needs and likes/dislikes are different. I went through this decision process recently and it worked out good for me. Best of luck with your choice.

/ Should A Front Loader Be 4WD? #7  
Not just with loader, but almost every task on today's lighter tractors (relative to the heavy iron of the past) benefit greatly from 4x4.

My little Kubota BX may have more outright power than our little Massey from the early 1950s, but given it's diminutive stature and weight, it would be sorely handicapped to push, lift or pull much without 4x4. Traction has to come from somewhere. A tractor without traction is just a nice engine.

/ Should A Front Loader Be 4WD? #8  
If you go 2wd with a loader I would think the weight of the tractor will play a big roll on your successes. In other words, get a heavy (2,500lbs.+) 2wd tractor if that is your desire.

/ Should A Front Loader Be 4WD? #9  
yes.

IMHO, it SHOULD be 4WD for reasonably efficient/safe operation, but does not HAVE to be if you are willing to live with the consequences.

If you had ever used 4WD, you would appreciate that it greatly expands the tractor's safe/effective work envelope.

/ Should A Front Loader Be 4WD?
I'm thinking an older 2WD tractor, like this one (pic below).

For you guys that may be in East TX, that's where I am and we have some sandy ground here. I'm also wondering about a 2WD on this soil, although I've been using my Dad's little compact John Deere 4010, which has 4WD, and I have not been impressed. Among many things on this tractor I dislike, it has no power (18hp). That's why I'm looking for a larger tractor, but I do like the front loader. I don't plan to be running it when it rains heavy here anyway. A 4WD could prolly get stuck as easy as a 2WD when it's wet here. :laughing:

Thanks,

- djb

ford3000ldr.JPG