Buying Advice Deere 3038e vs Bobcat Ct235 vs MF 1635

/ Deere 3038e vs Bobcat Ct235 vs MF 1635 #1  

lepman

Hi all. I'm looking at buying my first tractor and have it narrowed down to a few. All roughly 35HP.

Any suggestions on Deere 3038e vs Bobcat Ct235 vs MF 1635??

My use is mostly as a wooded landowner who will be doing some light woods clearing, mowing trails, moving rocks and wood, road grating, plowing snow, etc.. I've test driven all three and have made a few observations.

3038e - Least options, simplest tractor. Most power, yet smallest frame and weight. Should this be a concern? Might be easier in the woods and trails, but will the lesser weight make it less powerful? I don't think I'll ever need mid pto, but what's the consensus?

CT235 - More options, middle size and weight. Smoothest hydro I thought, but had difficulty between the three speeds often when testing operation. Bobcat is new to this market, I'm concerned about reliability.

1635 - Nicest driving for me, also most expensive. It was also the heaviest and had much larger tires than the other two. Are the larger tires god or bad?

I would think that the larger, heavier tractor would always be the most durable. But, since I've not had the experience, I'd appreciate some advice.

Thanks!

Randy

/ Deere 3038e vs Bobcat Ct235 vs MF 1635 #2  
More weight = better traction, I dont know alot about the Deere or Bobcat but I have seen the 1635, very nice machine and I like the bigger tires/wheels.

It comes down to your personal choice, how the machine feels to you, ergonomics comfort and power.

Mike

/ Deere 3038e vs Bobcat Ct235 vs MF 1635 #3  
The Bobcat is the same as a Kioti for the basic tractor. Good tractor with a lot of power for its size. The 1635 is more tractor and the nicest of the bunch you are looking at. If you can swing for the 1635, that would be the way I'd go. If not the Bobcat, which isn't really that new of a tractor. I think the basic design dates to around 2003 or so. Most of the design kinks have been ironed out and there are many many happy owners. I don't think Bobcat would put the reputation on the line for a unreliable machine.

/ Deere 3038e vs Bobcat Ct235 vs MF 1635 #4  
Hi all. I'm looking at buying my first tractor and have it narrowed down to a few. All roughly 35HP.

Any suggestions on Deere 3038e vs Bobcat Ct235 vs MF 1635??

My use is mostly as a wooded landowner who will be doing some light woods clearing, mowing trails, moving rocks and wood, road grating, plowing snow, etc.. I've test driven all three and have made a few observations.

3038e - Least options, simplest tractor. Most power, yet smallest frame and weight. Should this be a concern? Might be easier in the woods and trails, but will the lesser weight make it less powerful? I don't think I'll ever need mid pto, but what's the consensus?

CT235 - More options, middle size and weight. Smoothest hydro I thought, but had difficulty between the three speeds often when testing operation. Bobcat is new to this market, I'm concerned about reliability.

1635 - Nicest driving for me, also most expensive. It was also the heaviest and had much larger tires than the other two. Are the larger tires god or bad?

I would think that the larger, heavier tractor would always be the most durable. But, since I've not had the experience, I'd appreciate some advice.

Thanks!

Randy

Don't know much about the CT235 but the other two are about the same in HP. However, thats where the simularities end.

1635 - bigger frame, bigger tires, much more powerful loader option.

3038e- No back hoe or mid mount mower option, no cab option.

As you can see it's not really fair to compare the two side by side.

It's like apples to oranges...

/ Deere 3038e vs Bobcat Ct235 vs MF 1635 #5  
I spent a few months doing just as you did, research and compareing tractors and lurking on forums. I looked at all the different colors and narrowed it down to the JD 3320 and MF 1635. I eventually went with the MF 1635 because it felt the best to me, had the most powerful loader and BH, weighted the most, best financing, and overall better looking and options in my opininon. It is my first tractor and I am using it for land clearing stump removal and regrading the property. It has done everything I have asked it to do and more. There has only been one thing I have found it won't do and that is move a rock I wanted moved. The rock is as long as the tractor and about 3 feet high so I wasn't really expecting it to move it. I have a few ideas on alternate methods to move it I haven't had time to try yet.

I have had it for about 40 days now and have 70 hours on it already about half on the backhoe and the other half with the loader and grapple. Let me know if you have any specific questions on the 1635 I might be able to help with.

/ Deere 3038e vs Bobcat Ct235 vs MF 1635 #6  
I have also looked at these tractors and have not yet pulled the trigger. I liked the 1635 but there is no close dealer support and I have heard on here many times that this is important. I like the Bobcat and there is a dealer close by. If I had been able to get a better price quote I probably would have bought it. I am considering contacting Wallace tractor because I hear I can get a better price on the Bobcat 235 from them and just use my local dealer for service if needed. I was unimpressed with the John Deere and again there is no tdealer support close by. This is in N.E.Ohio and that was surprising to me. With winter coming I am not in a hurry and will sit tight until a great deal comes my way, if you are under no pressure hold off for better factory deals.

/ Deere 3038e vs Bobcat Ct235 vs MF 1635 #7  
I bought from Wallace and am about 250 miles away from him. Even so, he's come to me twice to perform warranty service. Hard to go wrong buying from him. So is it about how close the dealer is, or how good the dealer is at supporting you? My JD dealer is less than a mile away. Service from them is not as good as what I've gotten from Wallace.

/ Deere 3038e vs Bobcat Ct235 vs MF 1635 #8  
Isn'[t this exact thread in the MF forums?