Bush Hog advice

/ Bush Hog advice #1  

stlawrence

Bronze Member
I just went to the John Deere dealer to talk about tractors and stuff. As an aside, I must say they really like their tractors - don't think they should be discounted much.

I need a tractor to bush hog about 50 acres of abandoned pasture in hilly terrain. I'm looking at a JD 5045E or a Kubota MX4700.

Talking with the salesman, he suggested I should get a pull-along bush hog, like a JD MX8, rather than a 3-point bush hog. He said the tractor would be much more stable with the pull-along.

Is he right? What are the advantages of the pull-along (that just hooks to the drawbar) over the one that hooks to the 3-point hitch? Is one better than the other? Which one is more expensive?

Thanks.

Dave

/ Bush Hog advice #2  
I think the pull along ones are typically more $$ due to having to suspend them themselves, longer pto shaft and a drawbar.

A pull along WOULD be more stable as well, but with a 3PH type, when you dont have the hog raised in the air, there isn't a lot of weight on the tractor anyway. And if you get one with the floating rear wheel (chains instead of fixed metal straps), that would be even better.

With a large bushhog raised, it could be a little unstable expecally going uphill, without frontend weights.

Of course 4wd is also something to consider cause it will give you 4w braking as well.

/ Bush Hog advice #3  
I just went to the John Deere dealer to talk about tractors and stuff. As an aside, I must say they really like their tractors - don't think they should be discounted much.

I need a tractor to bush hog about 50 acres of abandoned pasture in hilly terrain. I'm looking at a JD 5045E or a Kubota MX4700.

Talking with the salesman, he suggested I should get a pull-along bush hog, like a JD MX8, rather than a 3-point bush hog. He said the tractor would be much more stable with the pull-along.

Is he right? What are the advantages of the pull-along (that just hooks to the drawbar) over the one that hooks to the 3-point hitch? Is one better than the other? Which one is more expensive?

Thanks.

Dave

I really don't know the difference in cost. We use a 10 foot Woods 121 3-point and a 10 foot six inch Woods DS1260 and in hilly terrain the pull behind is definitely more stable. It wouldn't seem like it would make that much difference, but it does.

I suspect one reason is the attachment point is further back on the 3-point and the weight is supported higher through the three point. You also have lateral forces exerted in turning wheres you don't with the pull type. Since I am no engineer or physicist, I may be way off, but our pull type is more stable.

There are, however, drawbacks to the pull type such as maneuverability is no where near as good with the pull type as the 3-point. Imagine constantly backing up a short coupled two wheeled trailer.

The pull type will give a better cut over uneven ground as it follows the contours better.

Lots to think about.

/ Bush Hog advice
And a follow-up question: the dealer said I should get a bush hog that is wider than the stance of the tractors. I understand that makes it easier to mow up to woodlines, but is there another practical reason?

/ Bush Hog advice #5  
And a follow-up question: the dealer said I should get a bush hog that is wider than the stance of the tractors. I understand that makes it easier to mow up to woodlines, but is there another practical reason?

Almost every tractor has enough horsepower to pull a bush hog that is slightly wider than the track. So to make the most of your tractor and make cutting go faster, get a bush hog that maximizes cutting width for the power you have available. 4 or 5 engine hp for every foot of rotary cutter width is about right.

/ Bush Hog advice #6  

I have to disagree with your dealer; don't know that he is necessarily wrong, but for me, I use cutters from four foot to ten foot and on my L5030, I like a cutter no wider than my tires as I mow around a lot of trees and if my tractor will go between trees, I know my cutter will also without looking back all the time.

However for your acreage, I would use as big of cutter as I could pull.

/ Bush Hog advice #7  
I am super sensitive to tipping or feeling unstable. If its that steep Id be looking for ways to do anything to feel secure in the tractor seat. A pull type will definitely be more stable

/ Bush Hog advice #8  
I have to disagree with your dealer; don't know that he is necessarily wrong, but for me, I use cutters from four foot to ten foot and on my L5030, I like a cutter no wider than my tires as I mow around a lot of trees and if my tractor will go between trees, I know my cutter will also without looking back all the time.

However for your acreage, I would use as big of cutter as I could pull.

I agree. You don't have to think where the cutter is if it is the same width. It just follows the same track. The downside is you can't trim as close to obstacles. It is easy to get too close if your cutter is the same size as tractor.
That is one of the negative of a pull behind cutter. It is easier to get out when you can just raise the cutter and get out of trouble. A pull behind adds another wrinkle to things. You can always unhook the cutter an get out of trouble, but you will not like doing that.

/ Bush Hog advice #9  
I just bought a semi-mount Deere MX-8. It's kind of a hybrid between a pull type and a 3 point mount. only the lower arms are attached.
It is wider than my rear tires (rear tires 7ft, mower is 8'-6"). It has a hydraulic "swing" option, which allows me to shift the mower from one side to the other for mowing along fences, pulling down the road, etc.

Look into the hydraulic swing option on an MX mower :thumbsup:

/ Bush Hog advice #10  
I am super sensitive to tipping or feeling unstable. If its that steep Id be looking for ways to do anything to feel secure in the tractor seat. A pull type will definitely be more stable

On most tractors you can reconfigure the wheels for a wider stance for more stability. :thumbsup: