Tractor Sizing 80 acres

/ 80 acres #1  

GT71

Hi everyone. I am new to this site. I have recently started clearing an 80 acre pasture that has not had cattle on it in 11 years or ever been bushhogged. I have cleared 20 acres worth of chinese privet that has taken over along the tree lines. The weeds, grass and lots of small pine trees as big around as your forearm are my next job to take on. My question to you all is what size tractor do you think i should buy. I am looking at a Ford 4610 and a Ford 4630. I think both are in the 60 hp range. Also I have looked at a Massey Ferguson 285. Any input on a good 60 to 70 hp tractor would be helpful as far as reliability issue's and ease of getting parts. I cant afford anything new and cant justify spending that kind of money on a tractor i will only use a handful of times a year. I'm looking to spend around 10k. I want to buy a medium to heavy duty 8 ft mower seperately and have been told i need atleast 50 hp to cut grass and weeds that is 6 ft tall and to run the PTO on a mower that size. I also will be spraying some and would really like to have a bucket on the front for moving fallen trees. I do realize that if i keep it cut twice a year i wouldnt need that much tractor to cut it everytime. I would rather buy bigger now than to wish i had bought bigger down the road. Thanks for any advice.

/ 80 acres #2  
I think you are pretty much in the ball park on the size you will need. I sure wouldn't want to go lower than a 50 HP and would prefer a little bigger/stronger.

Of course, you won't be able to bush hog the big trees without a really expensive cutter, but you should be able to do the smaller stuff depending on what you get.

I have no experience with the tractors you mentioned. We own a 1980's Massey Ferguson 375 we bought new and it has caused us a lot of problems. The electrical system just will not stay working. When it is running, it is a very strong tractor and very stable. In spite of this, I view Massey Ferguson as a pretty good value. Any of the name brands should work well if you get a good one and for that price, you can probably get one that is no more than ten or fifteen years old which for a tractor is no big deal. We have some over fifty years old that my brothers use all the time with just a little TLC.

Good luck.

/ 80 acres
I think we just found our tractor. 2002 Massey 471 2wd 670 hrs w 65 hp. Any negative thoughts? I hope the electrical system isnt going to be an issue!

Last edited:
   / 80 acres #4  
I think we just found our tractor. 2002 Massey 471 2wd 670 hrs w 65 hp. Any negative thoughts? I hope the electrical system isnt going to be an issue!

I wouldn't be concerned about the electrical system on the newer ones. Ours was manufactured in the mid 80's and was a Lucas system. Look up Lucas Electrics, there is a reason he was known as "The Prince of Darkness". I owned two Triumph motorcycles and both had problems.

Is your land pretty flat?

/ 80 acres #5  
Massey's are good tractors and very popular in some regions. I don't know that model but the HP seems right for what you outline and the amount of property you are working. My only thought is that when you get into tractors of the 65 hp range they generally see more use than 84 hours a year.

Does it have a front end loader, FEL,? That would be critical to me for clearing land. You will also need another plan for the 11 year old pines based on my experience. A rotary mower (Bushog) isn't going to mow them down well.

MarkV

PS. Forgot to mention, welcome to the forum! Hope you will stick around.

/ 80 acres #6  
first welcome aboard. I think a bush hog that will cut the 11 year old pines is going to nearly get all of your budget by itself. You may want to buy a dozer that you can get pretty reasonable (enough that you can sell it for about the same when you get through). Then buy your tractor and a medium duty bush hog. just a thought.

/ 80 acres #7  
Here's another thought.

Instead of buying equipment with the capacity to get rid of the pines (a one time need), you could hire someone with mulching equipment to take care of them. You could then buy a tractor/cutter combo that is suited for maintaining the cleared land.

You might try posting a thread detailing your location and situation over in the "Land Clearing" section. Who knows, a TBN member may be interested in the job.

Steve

/ 80 acres
I apoligize for not being clear. The pasture has not been cut or had cows on it in 11 years. Its mostly 6 ft tall grass and weeds thats real thick and has alot of clumps underneath where its grown and died over and over the years. Its so thick its choked out everything until recently but the weeds have really come up this summer. The pines are only 3-4 ft tall maybe a few 5 footers. Not as big around as your wrist. Isolated here and there. I priced a Bushwacker 7 ft heavy duty cutter today. The guy quoted me $3600 new. Recommended for 45 hp and up tractor. Can anyone tell me what is a good brand to buy that may outlast another under normal use? I know of Bushhog brand. Are they the best?

/ 80 acres #9  
I priced a Bushwacker 7 ft heavy duty cutter today. The guy quoted me $3600 new. Recommended for 45 hp and up tractor. Can anyone tell me what is a good brand to buy that may outlast another under normal use? I know of Bushhog brand. Are they the best?

I've learned that asking a "which is best" question will set off a flurry of responses, usually without consensus. Most manufacturers have multiple product lines, e.g., light, medium, and heavy duty. I'm also sure that you could find a suitable heavy-duty cutter from any of the major manufacturers such as Woods, LandPride, BushHog, Rhino,BushWhacker, etc. and from some of the lesser known makers.

I would find a dealer that you can trust and go from there.

BTW, someone will be along shortly to tell you that you need a flail mower.:)

Steve

/ 80 acres #10  

If you can get that 471 with an FEL for $10K, you'll be one lucky puppy.