Comparison JM284 vs L2800 vs JD3032e

/ JM284 vs L2800 vs JD3032e #1  

Doty

Tractor
JD 2320. X530
I have about 15 acres to bushhog on some pretty steep ground. I also have a few projects in mind for a FEL like clearing saplings, brush, and light landscaping. I have done quite a bit of comparative shopping for about a year and would like your opinion on the models comparison above. I'm just a weekend wanna be farmer. I'm just wondering if I can justify the cost of the more "well - known" tractors in my area. I've had very little "seat time" with any of these models but here's what I've found by way of price:
JM284 = $11,000
L2800 = $15,500
JD3032e = $18,500
All these are 4wd w/ FEL

What do you think?

/ JM284 vs L2800 vs JD3032e #2  
I have about 15 acres to bushhog on some pretty steep ground. I also have a few projects in mind for a FEL like clearing saplings, brush, and light landscaping. I have done quite a bit of comparative shopping for about a year and would like your opinion on the models comparison above. I'm just a weekend wanna be farmer. I'm just wondering if I can justify the cost of the more "well - known" tractors in my area. I've had very little "seat time" with any of these models but here's what I've found by way of price:
JM284 = $11,000
L2800 = $15,500
JD3032e = $18,500
All these are 4wd w/ FEL

What do you think?

Personally I wouldn't want the JM284. I am not a grey market fan.

So I'll only give input on the other two. The deere and kubota are very similar. They are both light for their classes. But the bota is 500lbs heavier. Which would aid in ground engaging tasks and fel work. Their hydraulics have very similar lift capacities on both the 3PH and FEL. So I'd suggest driving both of them and see what you like. Also, get a "feel" for the dealers. This may also play a big role in the future.

They are both good tractors, however, I would skip the 2800 and look at the L3700SU. It shouldn't be much more $$ and it is the same tractor, just more ponies. And if your primary task is bushhogging, you are going to want all the HP you can get. For that mater, I'd be loking at the 3038E instead of the 3032E as well.

Al will also say that you may want to look at a bigger tractor if you plan on bushogging that 15acres regularly. These tractors only run 5' cutters. If it is only a one time shot, then you will be fine though.

/ JM284 vs L2800 vs JD3032e #3  
The Jinma is not grey market, its Chinese. If sold by a real dealer and set up right it will out work the lighter tractors any day of the week. The Jinma is a honest 1,000# heavier than the JD and 600# heavier than the Kubota.

The issue is they need tinkering from time to time. If you want a pretty much turn key tractor get a New Holland, Case, JD, Kubota, ect.

If it were me I would skip the Kubota and the JD, especially the JD, and look at Kioti and BobCat.

Chris

/ JM284 vs L2800 vs JD3032e #4  
When talking power and brushing the three range transmission that Kubota uses is a big advantage over a limited two range hydro. The L-series is a larger chassis grouping giving to many advantages to the Kubota.

The 3032 chassis is actually closer to a B-series on the Kubota line-up and would have a tough time against the the three ranges they also have.

/ JM284 vs L2800 vs JD3032e #5  
I agree with LD1 step up to the L3700SUHST. Right now 0% financing. Your going to love it. I do mine. If your going to do some clearing work you might what to add a tooth bar to the FEL on any tractor you buy.

Attachments

• IMG_0130.JPG
    IMG_0130.JPG
    892.2 KB · Views: 172
   / JM284 vs L2800 vs JD3032e #6  
Are you looking at the Jinma fully assembled, or are you considering the Heathkit method (crated tractor - some assembly required)?

If you're the type who've rebuilt and installed car engines and transmissions, the crated method shouldn't be any problem for you; and you're used to tinkering with equipment.

I was looking at Bobcat but with 2 kids in college and a crappy economy, discretionary funds for replacement of this beat up obsolete Kubota are few and far between. Downsizing to a tractor that can't handle what I need to do with it isn't an option; but renting and hiring someone is a losing proposition in the long run. Which leaves me with with a crated Chinese tractor as the only viable option unless I can get Green/Orange/Red/Blue/White to go the crate route and price down to the range of the PRC.

/ JM284 vs L2800 vs JD3032e #7  
If you are considering a JM284 don't forget to account for your regular repair expenses. If you turn the key on and crank it you will have regular repair expenses. If you are not the kind of person that can separate the units in half and do major repairs then set you up a rainy day fund because that storm will come soon. I only imported and sold a few hundred, then the factory changed hands and the prices went up.

If you have $11K to blow on a JM284 then take that money down and consider something more long term.

McCormick CTJ27 27HP Hydrostatic with frontend loader
image.php

$11,500.00

McCormick CT36 38HP with remotes and frontend loader with skid steer hitch
image.php

$16,850.00

/ JM284 vs L2800 vs JD3032e #8  
JM284 = $11,000
L2800 = $15,500
JD3032e = $18,500
All these are 4wd w/ FEL

What do you think?

Out of this list I would choose the L2800. Gear.

Or, I would try out the 3032e to decide if I could live with HST.?? Most all who have HST swear by it so, it deserves a look.

/ JM284 vs L2800 vs JD3032e #9  
I can't speak to the other 2 but I have a L2800 and am very happy with it. I needed a bigger tractor but this was as big as I could get on my boat. I put duals front and rear and that has caused the only problems. Cracked one rear wheel disc (uneven ground) but sistered them both with another disc (homemade 1/2" steel) and no problems since. I also bent one and broke one front tie rod (ripping up beach sod in 4 wheel drive, oops my first tractor) straightened them and beefed up the broken one and no problems since. I only have a little over 400 hours on it 1 1/2 years and no other problems. It is easy to work on (only fluid changes etc) and have done a bit of brushoggin with it before I brought it up and it handled a 5 ' hog in heavy blackberries just fine.
I bumped up the hydraulic pressure (great thread on that on here) as I need to lift more than it could fairly regularly, and no problems with that, although I am looking for a way to be able to move my quick attach forks to the 3pt hitch for the really heavy things. I use the forks way more than I use the bucket and would highly recomend getting the quick attach bucket if you gonna be moving much stuff.
I used the excuse that it would be easier for my wife and kids to drive if I got the hst and am glad I did. Especially if I did more brushogging and such. My only complaint is the hst/hydros are a little noisy but ear plugs takes that right out. Good luck with your decision.
Rick

/ JM284 vs L2800 vs JD3032e #10  
I'm in a similar boat, watching the thread close to see what OP does.