Buying Advice New and need some advice

/ New and need some advice #1  

Tractor2011

Tractor
L3940/HSTC
Hello, I'm new to this site and could use some advice. I'm planning on buying a compact tractor (with cab) sometime within the next 6 months. I anticipate my needs are going to be bush-hogging 6 to 8 acres regularly, occasionally pulling a box blade and tiller, occasionally moving gravel, dirt, and mulch, and using the tractor to move a 20,000 boat in and out of a storage building (1-2% grade).

So far I'm considering either a JD4720 and Kubota L5740, but I've just started my research so I'm open to other brands or models.

My priorities are comfort, ease of exchanging accessories, dependably, and minimal hassle transmission controls.

Is the air-ride seat on the 4720 worth the cost? Does Kubota offer such a seat? Also do any of these cab-equipped compact tractors have a backhoe option?

Any comments or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

/ New and need some advice #2  
Don't know about the Kubota except they are good machines but a Deere 4320, 4520 or 4720 cab models will all work for you on the acreage mentioned. You mention bush hogging regularly, if this is for a lawn area you might consider a rear finish mower instead. These rfm's are available with a wider cut which would speed up the mowing using less of your time. Just depends on your situation.

If you are moving the boat with a typical boat trailer tongue weight of 6% you will be approaching the limit for the drawbar capacity but should be okay. Which ever tractor you buy make sure the specs on the tongue weight will be within design parameters.

/ New and need some advice #3  
The L5740 would be a sweet tractor, with cab and all needed attachments...that's what I'd get if I needed a new tractor. It is a hugely capable tractor. My L5030 has been absolutely bullet proof and nearing 1000 hrs now... only problems have been operator error:confused2:

/ New and need some advice #4  
Tractor2011, based upon the models you say you're currently enteraining, it sounds like you're wanting to stay in the CUT realm, and if by "minimal hassle transmission controls" you mean hydrostatic tranny then you might add the MF 1660 to your list.

MF 1600 Series

If you'd consider makes/models with a shuttle shift tranny, then the NH Boomer 4060 and Farmall 60 could be added as well.

Compact-Tractors-and-Commercial-Mowers New Holland Boomer-Utility - Models, technical data and characteristics
Farmall Compact Tractors ? Case IH

One other thing to consider: You're talking about the top of the CUT range. It might not be that big of a step up to go a full Utility tractor (UT?). If you did, and you didn't mind a shuttle tranny (some offer clutchless, electronically-controlled direction shifting) with the same approx HP, you could add a whole bunch of options like Kioti DK55 or 75, Mahindra 7060, Challenger MT335B, NH T4020, MF 3625, Farmall 65C, 70, & 75C, and JD 5055E & 5065E to name a few.

I don't have any direct experience on any of the ones mentioned, but I'm sure others who do will be along shortly to comment.

/ New and need some advice #5  
Kubota L5740 is an excellent choice. Yes it will bush hog your 6 to 8 acres regularly, pull a box blade and a tiller, move gravel, dirt, and mulch, and move a 20,000 boat in and out of your storage building. Yes cab is available and definitely worth it. I'm pretty sure air ride seat is available and it is definitely worth it - if it is available. Yes factory installed backhoe is available. Go for it!! I am told they are offering 0% financing too!!

/ New and need some advice #6  
The good news is that no matter which one you buy, you will be happy and there won't be one of those, "I sure wish I had bought..."

I went to Kubotas "Build My Kubota" and there is a backhoe option, but I didn't see an air ride option. If "nebraskasparks" doesn't respond, you might want to contact him as he recently bought a L5740HSTC. I really dislike the left foot brake pedals on the John Deere, but a lot of people prefer it; lots of threads on right/left braking, so it just depends on what fits you.

An air suspension seat would be nice, but not a deal breaker for me and I have a bad back.

Like texasjohn, I have a 1000 L5030 HSTC and it does everything I want. If I ever wear it out, I'll get an L5740.

Again, both good choices.

As to going to a UT with Hydraulic Shuttle as opposed to a CUT with HST, I love my M8540, but it is no where near as handy as a CUT.

/ New and need some advice #7  
I did not see where you are located.
If you are in a warm part of the country, I have heard hydro-static transmissions do not like continually pulling implements in the heat. They will not cool properly. I am talking hours on end at 100 deg or so.
The cab is a must where killer bees are found. Just something I heard from Texans.
Talk to your neighbors about these thoughts. Dave

/ New and need some advice
Sorry about not posting my location. I haven't gotten around to filling out my personal info yet. My location is near the small town of Belhaven, in eastern North Carolina.

The bush hogging I'll be doing involves cutting down river brush, tall weeds and grass, small tree growth, etc. I have about an acre cleared around my house that requires a finish mower, but I have a JD 425 garden tractor to take care of that.

I was checking on the JD website today and noticed they show a picture of a 4720 cab-equipped tractor with a back hoe attached. Unlike some tractors that have a 180 degree swivel seat, this backhoe had it's own seat. I found it interesting that the 4720 brochure indicates the backhoe is not an for this cab-equipped 4720, yet there's the picture!

Yes, I'll definitely be buying something with hydrostatic drive.

dbear - thanks for the link to the MF1600. That's one I'm going to definitely check out.

Seeing as I've never purchased a large (uh.. compact) utility tractor before, I'm curious if there's typically negotiation room around the retail pricing listed? Or is retail about it?

/ New and need some advice #9  
Sorry about not posting my location. I haven't gotten around to filling out my personal info yet. My location is near the small town of Belhaven, in eastern North Carolina.

Seeing as I've never purchased a large (uh.. compact) utility tractor before, I'm curious if there's typically negotiation room around the retail pricing listed? Or is retail about it?

There is negotiation room and it will vary from one dealer to the next. I have never nor will I ever pay retail.

/ New and need some advice #10  
everything is negotiable...I mean EVERYTHING.

Don't get in a hurry.... look WAY beyond just the tractor and you will be much happier... it's the little things that make for ease of use and satisfaction after you purchase the engine (raw tractor) ... things like

grill guard
quick attach FEL
2 OR 3 rear hydraulic ports
hydraulic top link, maybe a hydraulic side link too...it's very cool
overhead lights front and rear on the cab
steering wheel spinner(s) .. I use 3...wheel doesn't stay in same place.
shop manual purchased/part of deal
hooks on FEL bucket
teeth on FEL bucket
chunks of removable weights... to place on front or rear as needed, about 1000 lbs total.
chains and boomers to tie down stuff on a trailer
pallet forks

list goes on, but this gives you an idea of what I mean... most of these are not big ticket items, but bring huge benefits and convenience... comparable, IMHO, to having a cab.

Since you are relatively new to TBN.... spend some hours reading various posts...keep pen and paper handy...when somebody talks about something they have done that is handy, think if this would be handy for you, too....

Some of these items make great bargaining chips.... after you have cut your best deal, see if maybe some of these can be added in at no additional cost.

On your acreage, I really don't see moving up to a full size utility tractor... and since you are thinking in the high 50 horsepower range, this should be all you need......it would be for me on 200 plus acres