Deutz-Fahr-Same

/ Deutz-Fahr-Same #1  

Porkie

Bronze Member
Tractor
2000 New Holland TC40D-HST
I have been looking at all kinds of different tractors since I've decided to get a new one, replacing my 2000 New Holland TC40D.

I looked at the Deutz-Fahr 60 and 70 hp models today and they looked really good and had some nice features. Deutz is about a hundred year old company, with a good reputation but that's all I've been able to find out.

Does anybody know about or own one of these tractors?

Opinions needed and appreciated!

Thanks, Sam

/ Deutz-Fahr-Same #2  
I don't know much except that when I lived in Germany as a young single guy in 1969 to 1971, my girlfriends Dad had a Deutz (Doytz as he pronounced it.) He was quite a promoter of them. His was an air cooled diesel, which I wouldn't want to try to run in Texas, but it worked very well for his climate.

Since it was air cooled it was NOISY, but it drove great and felt really solid. I'm sure that today's versions are not air cooled but if they feel like that one did, then I expect they are very pleasant to operate.

The only other Deutz I ever saw was a huge one that went down the farm road in front of my place one day some 20 years or so ago. It was noisy too, but I expect it wasn't due to being air cooled. It was noisy because it was HUGE.

Sorry I can't offer anything substantive. I do remember that they merged or otherwise was in kahootz with Allis at one time.

/ Deutz-Fahr-Same #3  
You don't need to worry about them being air cooled and running them in TX. We used to run them in Saudi all day long, wide open and they didn't have any problems with overheating.

/ Deutz-Fahr-Same #4  
My uncle has a Deutz 4WD (about 50 hp) he has used in a maple sugar bush for many years. He's very satisfied with it and its held up well.

Loren

/ Deutz-Fahr-Same #5  
We have used deutz tractors for years.. We run 5 air cooled deutz's with 4being in the beginning to mid 1980's.. Good tractors and have put many hours on them with few problems

/ Deutz-Fahr-Same #6  
brad123,

What part of the world are you located in?

/ Deutz-Fahr-Same #7  
You don't need to worry about them being air cooled and running them in TX.

+1.

It's a common misconception that air-cooled engines can't put up with warmer ambient temps. If an engine was designed from the ground up to be air-cooled, then it will have sufficient airflow and ducting and engine finning to dissipate the heat it generates.

We have plenty of Deutz engines in the fleet, and the cooling systems on 'em work just fine. Not only that, but there's less to go wrong. We're constantly replacing or repairing coolant leaks on the water-cooled stuff. Water pumps, hoses, hose connections, radiators, thermostats and housings, etc. all have to be kept up to snuff.

Not a big deal if you're the owner/operator, but having several people running the same machine changes the game a bit. Expensive damage can occur when operators don't keep an eye on the coolant level if there's a small weep somewhere and the hood doesn't get opened for days or weeks at a time.

The model we have the most of, are the F4L1011s, but we have plenty of the 2011s too. I've heard some folks poo-poo Deutz's choice of using a timing belt on lots of their stuff because the belt's recommended replacement interval is *only* 3000 hours. We've run them to 5-6000 hours on the original belt, but there's no reason to. It's a 1-2 hour job to replace one, so I do it @ 3000 hours now instead of pushing it. They are interference engines, so if the belt breaks the valves will hit the pistons. Deutz made the pushrods the weak link though....so they bend instead of other stuff breaking. A timing belt set with tensioner is relatively cheap.

;)

/ Deutz-Fahr-Same #8  
The company has changed over the years as they all used to be seperate with only two building tractors. Same and Deutz and they both built air cooled engine tractors that were considered reliable.

They did merge and I believe the engines they build today are all oil cooled or at least those we sell in the Gehl skid steers are.

Air cooled engines can run in hot climates just as well as liquid cooled but they normally don't have a high torque rise. With only the air blowing past they can't add much fuel when you actually are turning the cooling fan slower.

Same tractors came to the US in the late seventies and they were unique in design of their engine with using common main and rod bearing size and only two bore sizes making it easy for a dealer to stock parts for the engine. They also were the first tractor company to mass produce a four wheel drive tractor which they did in 1951.