JD 4100 vs BX2230

/ JD 4100 vs BX2230 #1  

RobiBX2230

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 2210 (TLB)
So I sold a BX2230 that I had for about a year - loved the machine but didn't want to mow with it anymore and had a hard time selling the deck so I sold it all (loader, mower, bagger, snowblower) - I've now come across a JD4100 with about 185 hours, cab w/ heat, 60" bucket, 3pt spreader and 3pt mower (no interest in mower but its part of the deal) all for $8,700. I guess there is an issue and it might need new floor boards, will check it out tomorrow morning. Polling the audience here - $8,700 a good deal given I don't find any other issues with the machine with all it comes with? I plan to use it to do normal loader chores as well as clean a 500' driveway with the FEL (and possibly a back blade) rather than a snow blower...

/ JD 4100 vs BX2230 #2  
The price seems good, and the 4100 is/was a good machine. I have the 4110 which is the newer version of it.

Curious about the floorboards?

/ JD 4100 vs BX2230 #3  
The 4100 is a very good machine. For $8700, i vote to get it. :thumbsup: I got the opportunity several times and used a 4100 gear and really enjoyed running it.

/ JD 4100 vs BX2230
Okay - so I checked it out this morning - it was running when I showed up which I hoped he'd just have it sitting there. I was going to see if/how much it smoked at startup. So its not a hydrostat so took me a few minutes to get used to but it runs just fine, bucket seems to work fine, couldn't get it into float so I'm not sure if it has float since he looked at me like I had 2 heads when I asked if the bucket floats.
In response to the floor boards - they are rusting to the point that they need replacement, I hopped into the machine and felt them move then I looked down and saw that they are in rough shape, I'm assuming water got in somehow and was kept in there due to the cab. I didn't run the heater so I'm also not sure if that works (I was pressed for time and had an 18 month old on my lap while testing it out).
He originally told me before I drove it around he put a new battery in 2 weeks ago but when we shut it down to talk more the tractor wouldn't start --- at all. No sign of life, not even turning - and it was warm at the time so glow time would have been a minimal need. When I say nothing, I mean nothing - BIG CONCERN - any input from people here?
I can tell some of the machine has been repainted, I specifically saw some overspray on the hood onto a JD decal so I'm wondering about that.

Overall it worked decent after getting used to a clutch etc but there is some signs of its age... its a '99 and he told me there was 165 hours (again something I forgot to check do to trying to juggle an 18 month old) but that should be easily verified with the hour meter, I just neglected to remember to check.

Given I would rate this tractor "cosmetically" a 6.5 out of 10 and what would be included I think the price is a bit high but I was spoiled with my last tractor, even with 250 hours it looked like it just came from the dealer.

/ JD 4100 vs BX2230 #5  
No way a 165 hour tractor has that many concerns without something having happened to it. Or the hours are wrong because the instrument cluster has been replaced.

/ JD 4100 vs BX2230
I assumed the hour meter would be wrong even just given he said he mowed his lawn and a few neighbors and also did the driveways in the winter -- not big lawns or driveways, but easily a few hours each storm and a few hours each mow... Anybody have any idea about the tractor not starting? Major electrical issue?

/ JD 4100 vs BX2230 #7  
No such thing as a "major" electrical issue on that model. Its too simple. But it could be a bad battery, bad alternator, bad ground, crossed ground, bad wiring at the fuse box, bad wiring in tractor, or one of the sensors is fried.

A number of sensors are required to read correctly before the tractor will start. I forget them all.... Operator presence, PTO disengaged, clutch switch (I imagine for a gear), etc.

Maybe the cab model needs a bigger alternator or battery?

/ JD 4100 vs BX2230
I can imagine it might need a bigger altenator or battery - its a Curtis cab so was most likely added well after the tractor was new. But even with nothing on (heat, lights, etc) it wouldn't start.

Anybody have an idea what I should offer given its condition? I know he's hard up for cash because he told me, not looking to take advantage of that but don't want to buy a machine with all kinds of issues -- asking $8,700 which is a pretty good deal in my area (not including the issues)

/ JD 4100 vs BX2230 #9  
Im wondering how the floor boards got so rusted. It cant be from the inside as it is a cab model so was he using it in wet conditions or in a lot of snow? With the not starting, there are multiple safety switches, was it in neutral? Did you engage the clutch? Ive used quite a few tractors where it took some time to figure out how to start them due to safety switches but i always maneged to figure it out. Doesthe dash cluster work? My yanmar is having a similart problem but since the dash works, i think that i have the problem figured out. The 4100 gear is a really good tractor, the one i used was excepinally good for mainatining our neighborhood road. All in all, it is a good price but i would see what the seller could do as part of the deal (ie. get it to start and fix the problem, possibly fix the floor boards).

/ JD 4100 vs BX2230
I decided to pass on that machine, it just seemed like issues waiting to happen and on my dime -- I do have my eye on another 4100 without a cab but it is a hydro stat and includes a belly mower, snow blower and loader -- I have 0 interest in the mower since I have a zero turn mower, I figure I could sell that off if I get that one...