Bobcat CT122 vs Kubota 1816 vs New Holland 1020

/ Bobcat CT122 vs Kubota 1816 vs New Holland 1020 #1  

CPTKILLER

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti CK2610
In a past life, I was a manufacturing engineering manager for a large Japanese forklift manufacturer in Texas. My view will be largely based on the manufacturing & design. My son-in-law runs a excavation business and provided a professionals perspective.

In general both the Kubota and the New Holland are competitive. Both are well made and reflect features of their larger siblings from operator's or driver's position. In general the basic designs are solid, the driver's position is roomy for their size, the engines are a known entity, and the dealer networks are extensive.

With Bobcat based on my experience with their excellent skid steer, I had high expectations. This was not to be. The driver's position is more crowded than the competitors. The tractor is manufactured in South Korea with a small South Korean diesel engine. The overall design is not well thought out and reminds me of the early Hyundai's when they came into the U.S. This is a Korean, not a U.S. or Japanese design. Fit & finish or not as good as the competition. Welds appear to be very sloppy. This is a warning bell to me and makes me question the integrity of the frame and attachments. It is not like their skid steers.

Based on pricing in Lafayette, Louisiana, the Bobcat is not competitive with the Kubota or New Holland which was another surprise.

After both of us looked at the Bobcat, it rapidly came off of a subcompact tractor shortlist. The Kubota and New Holland are both good with good designs, quality, and excellent dealer network.

We will move to Texas and get one or the other (Kubota or New Holland). The dealer where we plan to go sells both. They are good candidates. The Bobcat is not competitive and is not at the maturity or quality level of either competitor.

/ Bobcat CT122 vs Kubota 1816 vs New Holland 1020 #2  
I would take exception to this as a Bobcat tractor owner but you are free to voice your opinion. I want to touch on a few things though.
Driver position-I think all three are good. I thought Bobcat was above New Holland
Fit and Finish-I think it is a bit behind here but not by a lot. I think their paint could be better
weight -the Bobcat weighs more than a comparable model from the other two(usually quite a bit).
Little Korean motor-I don't really understand what that means.They all go by power output.
sloppy welds-The welds on the Bobcat tractors I have seen looked fine to me but I am one of the worst welders in the world.
I drove models from all three plus JD and MF first and would have been happy with any of the five, but the Bobcat was almost 25% cheaper with a solid warranty, It is made by an estabilished company Daedong, who I have been told, made parts if not whole tractors for Kubota at one time.They alo make Kioti now, and have for quite some time. The Bobcat dealer network is very solid in my area, but that may not be the case everywhere.
I agree with what you said about the first imported Hundai cars but I am not sure what you can take from that. You could easily claim that they are one of the better car companies in the world now, and their quality is as good or better than any major car maker.
I just twisted my ankle as I stepped off my soapbox.

/ Bobcat CT122 vs Kubota 1816 vs New Holland 1020 #4  
This is ridiculous! :rolleyes:

First, your comparing a couple of lawn mowers to a tractor that could lift more than double the other two and pull attachments probably 25-50% larger. The small physical size of these machines makes it near impossible to have a roomier cabin than the Bobcat. As for pricing, it should be more than the Kubota and New Holland as it's twice the tractor in size and capability. The Bobcat is a Compact Utility and not a Sub-Compact.

Your comparison is as equal as a Mack truck vs. a couple of Minivans. They both serve their purpose better than the other but cannot be directly compared.

Lastly, you say " This is a Korean, not a U.S. or Japanese design". Please feel free to let everyone know which tractor is a "U.S. design" and what makes it superior to that "little Korean engine". :laughing:

/ Bobcat CT122 vs Kubota 1816 vs New Holland 1020 #6  
I'm about to buy a BX25 rather than a CT122 because the Kubota has tons more room for me and my big feet as well as being about $1000.00 less for a TLB. I like the big wheels and the weight of the CT122 but not enough for the price difference once I add a snow blower, box blade and mid mower it will cost about $5000.00 more.

/ Bobcat CT122 vs Kubota 1816 vs New Holland 1020 #7  
As others have noted, it is a bit silly to compare the CT122 to a SCUT. The CT will out lift the others by at least three or four hundred pounds and is a much beefier machine. Look at the specifications. The CT122 competes with the Kubota B series, not with the little SCUTs. I owned a Kioti CK20 which is the same tractor and accomplished work I could never have done with a SCUT. Regarding the operator station, I'm 6'5"/230 and never had an issue.

If you are primarily lawnmowing then get the SCUT, they excel in that task. Any other tractor jobs are going to go faster with the CT.

Last edited:
   / Bobcat CT122 vs Kubota 1816 vs New Holland 1020 #8  
It makes some feel better if they can look down on someone or something else. (in this case the Koreans and Daedong, which has been in operation since late 1940s - I remember clearly when it was the Japanese - and at 61 I don't remember that much clearly) We all chose for our own reasons. The first post of this thread was certain to get a somewhat heated response. I believe most of us our a bit prejudiced toward the tractor we chose to purchase.

Loren

/ Bobcat CT122 vs Kubota 1816 vs New Holland 1020 #9  
Ridiculous thread. Clearly the OP is ignorant on tractors. Anyone taking his viewpoint as anywhere near accurate or fair..... well they too...