Comparison JD 5075E vs Kubota M7040SUD

/ JD 5075E vs Kubota M7040SUD #1  

mdelmarcelle

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040SUD
I'm looking to buy a new tractor with FEL in the 70hp range. I'm considering these two models. For JD, I like the name and resale value that comes with it. I've owned JD products in the past and I've had very good luck. But this is a very basic model and I'm a little leary about the 3 cylinder engine.

The Kubota seems like it may be a better tractor with a few more features, such as a flat operator platform. And it has a more typical 4 cylinder engine.

Anyone have any advice or experience with these two machines. The dealer's initial prices are almost exactly the same, just over 31k. I plan to negotiate that number down a bit, but not sure how far I can go. The Kubota dealer has the model with the loader on the lot, been there since last fall (still checking to see if it's an 09 or 10). For JD, not sure if they have one available at the moment, but if not, I'll have to order.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

/ JD 5075E vs Kubota M7040SUD #2  
Of the two models my preference would be the M7040 as I much prefer the flat deck. Not much real difference between the two. I may have overlooked something though.

I would look around at all manufacturers and spend some time sitting in and operating if possible to find the one that fits you best. All are top quality in my opinion.

(Post edited as I was comparing the wrong M7040)

Last edited:
   / JD 5075E vs Kubota M7040SUD #3  
I agree that you should carefully find the equivalent models in a number of name brands and shop for the best price/dealer to make up your mind.

I am really curious though as to why you are leary of the three cylinder engine? It is a wet sleeve, sure enough industrial engine with a great record. Three cylinders have been a proven mainstay in these size tractors for forty or fifty years.

/ JD 5075E vs Kubota M7040SUD #4  
I have an M-7040 and it's the size you're looking for. When I set out to buy, I wanted a Deere, but couldn't find one. One thing I liked about the Deere was it weighed considerably more. You have to ask yourself "why?". I think they use heavier steel components. No question resale value will be better.

Kubota has some nice features and their engines/drivetrains are nice quality.

My cab roof is paper thin plastic which is about as fragile as an egg shell. The lights routinely get ripped off the cab with low hanging branches. It needs better protection for the cab.

I don't regret buying my M-7040, but I would have preferred a Deere. I just couldn't afford it.

/ JD 5075E vs Kubota M7040SUD #5  
Another you may want to add to your list is the Massey Fergson 2600 HD series. I guess it all depends on if you have a good dealer. We have one close by and I stopped in to look at the 1600 series and they had just gotten at 2680 HD cab in and its a lot of tractor for the money. Massey has a comparson video on their web site which is good. HD Series 2600

Good luck with your search and let us know what you get.

Roger

/ JD 5075E vs Kubota M7040SUD #6  
both tractors are entry level, so you're comparing apples to apples. the Deere's have been around since 2004 and i think Kubota just came out with this line either this year or last. they have made the other M7040 longer though, i think they just wanted a piece of the action in the entry level tractor market since most other tractor companies were building them. both tractors are synshuttle, the deer is turbo while the kubota is naturally aspirated, really it comes down to personal choice and which dealer you like best.

/ JD 5075E vs Kubota M7040SUD #7  
both tractors are entry level, so you're comparing apples to apples. the Deere's have been around since 2004 and i think Kubota just came out with this line either this year or last. they have made the other M7040 longer though, i think they just wanted a piece of the action in the entry level tractor market since most other tractor companies were building them. both tractors are synshuttle, the deer is turbo while the kubota is naturally aspirated, really it comes down to personal choice and which dealer you like best.

The Kubota M-7040 has been turbocharged for 3 years now and has always had an available hydraulic shuttle. It comes standard with a mech shuttle. I have the hyd shuttle option on mine and love it.

/ JD 5075E vs Kubota M7040SUD #8  
The Kubota M-7040 has been turbocharged for 3 years now and has always had an available hydraulic shuttle. It comes standard with a mech shuttle. I have the hyd shuttle option on mine and love it.

i thought he was referring to the "SU" or "Special Utility" model since he said he was looking at a M7040SUD model. this is Kubota's new line of "value tractors" to compete with Deere 5E and 5D, NH TT, Massey's(can't remember the number), "value tractor" lineup. i haven't seen or heard much talk on here from folks about these new line of Kubota's, and i was hoping to because i was curious about them. i have seen some up close on a dealers lot and there are a few differences compared to the M7040 that you own. these value tractors have a turn down exhaust only, the rear of the tractor is wide open, no hyd shuttle option just a synch shuttle 8x4, no cab option, engine on the 7040 SU model is naturally aspirated(they also have a 5640SU but i don't remember if it's turbo or not), and other differences that i can't remember off hand. take a look on the Kubota website and you'll see what i'm talking about. like i said, they're new so i don't think alot of people know about them yet.

/ JD 5075E vs Kubota M7040SUD #10  
i thought he was referring to the "SU" or "Special Utility" model since he said he was looking at a M7040SUD model. this is Kubota's new line of "value tractors" to compete with Deere 5E and 5D, NH TT, Massey's(can't remember the number), "value tractor" lineup. i haven't seen or heard much talk on here from folks about these new line of Kubota's, and i was hoping to because i was curious about them. i have seen some up close on a dealers lot and there are a few differences compared to the M7040 that you own. these value tractors have a turn down exhaust only, the rear of the tractor is wide open, no hyd shuttle option just a synch shuttle 8x4, no cab option, engine on the 7040 SU model is naturally aspirated(they also have a 5640SU but i don't remember if it's turbo or not), and other differences that i can't remember off hand. take a look on the Kubota website and you'll see what i'm talking about. like i said, they're new so i don't think alot of people know about them yet.

Ahh, I didn't see where he was looking at that base model. My bad.
Probably not a bad idea to compete with the impending barrage of chinese tractors.....