Kubota B21 or John Deere 4200

/ Kubota B21 or John Deere 4200 #1  

avc8130

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L45
I am looking for a CUT to use on 12 acres I just bought. The machine will be used to move snow, bush hog, dig holes, move dirt/gravel, dig some fence posts, and other random tractor duties.

So far 2 used machines have popped up and caught my eyes. Both are going for ~$13k private party.

Machine A:
Kubota B21
1300 hours
3-point hitch included
Loader/backhoe and fiberglass sunshade

Machine B:
2001 John Deere 4200
1200 hours
3-point hitch components MIA
Loader/backhoe included

Am I looking in the right ball park? Any advice/assistance is greatly appreciated.
ac

/ Kubota B21 or John Deere 4200 #3  
   / Kubota B21 or John Deere 4200 #4  
But then, a few more HP and GPM isn't always the full story, is it? What about history? Where was it kept. How was it maintained. Do you want a front and rear ROP (B21) or just rear. A front ROP can save your life if a big tree branch swings your way.

There's always more than meets the eye.

/ Kubota B21 or John Deere 4200 #5  
I take car of 13 acres; my five, and my parent eight. do similar stuff, except I do not have a backhoe.

I did everything with tractor very similar in size, hp, hst, to the B21. My old B8200HST was a great tractor, but at 20hp, it was underpowered for the size tractor it was(again, same size as B21). I really noticed it with a rotary mower; just not enough pto power.

That said, I would look at something with more power than the two tractors you mention. I would be looking at something like the B2910, B3300, or even an L series Kubota(or the similar in a JD, or NH IMHO).

The B21 is an awesome commercial duty tractor. but, I would not want to struggle with low pto hp, and a 4' mower, on 12 acres.

I happened across a deal on the newer tractor we got, a NH TC40D. I jumped from 19hp to 40hp :eek: :D I was originally looking at something like the Kubota L3410. Mid size, and my wife uses one at the nursery she works at...

In addition to more HP, you can also get a bigger loader, and mower.

/ Kubota B21 or John Deere 4200
I take car of 13 acres; my five, and my parent eight. do similar stuff, except I do not have a backhoe.

I did everything with tractor very similar in size, hp, hst, to the B21. My old B8200HST was a great tractor, but at 20hp, it was underpowered for the size tractor it was(again, same size as B21). I really noticed it with a rotary mower; just not enough pto power.

That said, I would look at something with more power than the two tractors you mention. I would be looking at something like the B2910, B3300, or even an L series Kubota(or the similar in a JD, or NH IMHO).

The B21 is an awesome commercial duty tractor. but, I would not want to struggle with low pto hp, and a 4' mower, on 12 acres.

I happened across a deal on the newer tractor we got, a NH TC40D. I jumped from 19hp to 40hp :eek: :D I was originally looking at something like the Kubota L3410. Mid size, and my wife uses one at the nursery she works at...

In addition to more HP, you can also get a bigger loader, and mower.

It is funny you mention this. When I was at the county fair over the summer I spent close to 2 hours talking with the local Kubota dealer. I quickly upsold myself to the B3200. I think that is my ideal tractor right now.

I was only considering these at the moment since they are roughly 1/2 price of the 3200 with similar equipment.

I think I am going to hold out until I either find a used ~30hp TLB or I suck it up and sign for a new one.
ac

/ Kubota B21 or John Deere 4200 #7  
The 3pt parts are expensive and while $13K for a 4200 with a backhoe is a good price.... I'd be looking for signs of stress on the backhoe mounting. Particularly the rear case. Otherwise, the 4200 would be a great match for what you want to do. Though if you have very hilly terrain or like to work extra fast, a 4300/4400 would be a better choice.

/ Kubota B21 or John Deere 4200
The 3pt parts are expensive and while $13K for a 4200 with a backhoe is a good price.... I'd be looking for signs of stress on the backhoe mounting. Particularly the rear case. Otherwise, the 4200 would be a great match for what you want to do. Though if you have very hilly terrain or like to work extra fast, a 4300/4400 would be a better choice.

That is what concerns me. My property goes from ~800 feet to 850 feet elevation in about 400 linear feet. I will need to be able to conquer this slope.
ac

/ Kubota B21 or John Deere 4200 #9  
I live on a big hill and I don't have any problems but most people have a lead foot and expect their tractor to accommodate it. If you're that type, you'll want the extra power of the 43/4400.

/ Kubota B21 or John Deere 4200 #10  
Good advice overall and a full description of your terrain and chores are always helpful. Based on my experience, you will not regret getting something in the 40 or up range. I could have gotten by with a 35-40 HP, but I'm glad I got a 50. Once you get past a few acres, chores/tasks are going to dictate the size needed. Our biggest tractors are on our smallest farm.