Buying a tractor

/ Buying a tractor #1  

One Acre Farm

Looking to finally buy a tractor, been using a loaner for last 3 years, NH TC45DA HST FEL and liked it but really want a geared transmission with shuttle rev. Still need the FEL and found a CASE IH C50 for sale. It doesn't have as much hp, but weighs almost 4k lb more. I noticed when I plowed with the NH, it was so sluggish and difficult. My question is, even though this Case has less hp, but weighs almost double and is geared, am I getting more tractor? I will be using it to chisel plow, 3t, maybe 4t, disc (if I am reading everyone's comments correctly, the 3pt hitch disc is not the way to go) and cultivate with a perfecta.

Any ideas would be helpful.

/ Buying a tractor #2  
pulling or pushing has as much to do with weight as much as it does horse power and a 8 ft pull type disc would work better with that tractor than a three point hitch disc and the c50 will most likely do more work than the tc45 and would be better for loader work and yes u will be getting more tractor

/ Buying a tractor #3  
Running the NH in 4WD maybe a better comparison to the larger/heavier Case. I am assuming the Case is 2WD. There's many variables out there, but for pulling 4WD makes a lot of difference over 2WD - sometimes more than enough to offset a weight/hp disadvantage. Many farmers have gone to smaller/lower hp machines now that they have 4WD. That said, seems many folks on here still prefer a gear machine for typical farm tasks (tilling, plowing, etc.).

/ Buying a tractor
The case is in fact 4wd too

/ Buying a tractor #5  
Isn't the HP to the PTO more on the Case than the NH and I think the Case has a Perkins that has better fuel economy than the NH.
I also think the Case is utility tractor size as opposed to a NH that is a compact.

/ Buying a tractor
[/quote]I also think the Case is utility tractor size as opposed to a NH that is a compact.[/QUOTE]

Is there a difference between compact and utility besides a name?

Also the case has 3hp more in the pto.

/ Buying a tractor #7  
Considering the Case is 4WD too, the NH will be no match for it pulling power wise, what w/ the extra weight of the Case IH. IMHO, I think of a utility tractor being over 50 hp and compacts typically being under - although some of the "compacts" stretch that nowdays.

/ Buying a tractor #8  
I also think the Case is utility tractor size as opposed to a NH that is a compact.[/QUOTE]

Is there a difference between compact and utility besides a name?

Also the case has 3hp more in the pto.[/QUOTE]

Don't know if this helps, but I think the differences between a "utility" and a "compact utility" tie back to what they were mainly designed to do.

"Utility" tractors were originally intended to be small-mid sized chore tractors for farm applications. On small farms, they could be the primary tractor supporting all activity, including the field work; on larger farms, they would do most of the miscellaneous chores and maybe some of the light field work, but left the truly heavy ground work to larger equipment. So, their design evolved into a machine that works best on the farm... gear driven for efficiency and precise ground speed control, moderate horsepower, good ground clearance, agricultural tires, moderate size and footprint for good maneuverability, enough weight to handle ground engaging work, etc.

This idea for a "utility" tractor is not new. My father-in-law had a Case SC as his "chore tractor" and a Farmall Super M for field work on his dairy farm in the 1950's, for example, and, certainly, many of the now classic Ford tractors operated as "chore tractors" alongside larger equipment.

The "compact utility" is a different animal, since it developed to meet the somewhat different requirements of small scale farms, rural property maintenance, landscapers, nurseries and the like. Shorter wheelbase for more maneuverability, lower profile for more stability, less weight for less compaction of the ground and transportability, high horsepower to weight are some of the common features of a compact utility.

These days, the differences are somewhat blurry. There are "compacts" that have horsepower, weight and capability rivalling a pretty respectable farm utility tractor, and there are "utilities" whose operator comforts are very "genteel", to say the least.

If your work requirement leans heavily toward the farming side, a true "utility" will probably work best; if it's less ag-oriented and more property development and maintenance, the "CUT" type machine may give you more versatility and convenience.

/ Buying a tractor
That was very helpful, thanks!