Lift Capacity @ 24" for SubCompacts

/ Lift Capacity @ 24" for SubCompacts #151  
At least there is someone out there that was able to follow this nightmare of a thread.:thumbsup:

I'm glad LD1, Spyderlk and my time ended up helping. :drink:
Yes, all of you together helped in my understanding of the 'mechanics' of the 3 point, and I thank you all.
I have seen various set-ups on different tractors, IE: toplinks with various holes........lower arms with different setups.
I personally didn't understand why until now.
I do agree that it is very hard to describe on a forum like this, but, if a person has a little mechanical ability, and is able to overcome the 'brain farts', one can clearly see the concept.
I also have to admit..........I had to go back to the 'vehicle towing and logging' to fully comprehend what you guys were saying.
I probably just read it to fast, and wasn't understanding(my fault).
But hey..........at least we got accurate measurements for one of the machines listed by the OP.:)

/ Lift Capacity @ 24" for SubCompacts #152  
If you get a chance, go throw an implement on and measure it in the method I described in my last post.

It is basically a round about way of figuring out how true or how parallel the lift is. It gives you an accurate ratio or percentage of what you can lift at XX distance based on what it is rated for at the ball ends.

If your toplink were totally parallel, and the same length as the lower arms, the implement will remain level through the entire range of the lift range and give you the same rating at any point. But since it is probabally a little shorter and a little more downward angle, the lift will be reduced slightly. but probabally not to the tue of only 550lbs
Actually, that is what surprised me the most, and I will get numbers for you.
I purchased a 5 foot cultivator from TSC(cat 1), and to keep the front fingers from dragging the ground, I had to turn the toplink all the way in to keep the fingers from dragging with the implement raised.
But I purchased the Bush Hog Tiller, leveled that puppy out, and it stays completely level throughout its travel.
I think it's because it was specifically made for the sub-compact, where the cultivator was just made for a 'generic' class 1 hitch.(higher ground clearance)

EDIT: I should state here that the Massey Ferguson has a full Category 1 hitch............Some other sub-compacts have a limited cat. 1 hitch.

/ Lift Capacity @ 24" for SubCompacts #153  
I didnt read all the posts here but it seemed like a lot of space taken up for what should have been a much simpler answer. Duh, such as if it will pick it up safely and you can still steer it safely, go for it. LOL zman :confused2:

/ Lift Capacity @ 24" for SubCompacts #154  
I didnt read all the posts here but it seemed like a lot of space taken up for what should have been a much simpler answer. Duh, such as if it will pick it up safely and you can still steer it safely, go for it. LOL zman :confused2:
I would have to respectfully disagree.

I understand your point, but a lot of people want exact numbers before they purchase a tractor or an implement(part of the reason I purchased a tractor with 'full cat. 1 capability'.
As far as explaining...........that is difficult..........like was said in earlier posts, the geometry plays a big part in what the machine can actually do(or lift).
And those numbers are important when someone is paying 20,000 dollars for a machine to do the work they need done .
Take a look at my signature line............all that was purchased since May of this year...........That's a chunk of change.

Last edited:
   / Lift Capacity @ 24" for SubCompacts #155  
I understand your point and well taken. :D

/ Lift Capacity @ 24" for SubCompacts #156  
As if 16 pages isn't enough, and since the horse is alreay dead I am sure he wont mind just a little beating but........

.......I was dong soe bushhogging today and when I got done and still had it on the tractor I thought I would take some real world measurments.

For these measurments I will use the same as we have been using with AB being the toplink and A being the tractor side, and CD being the lower arm with C being the tractor side.

My lower link measures 25" but that doesn't really matter in this exmple. The toplink was set @ 24".

My bushhog lower pins to toplink pin (BD) is 21".
Tractor side spacing (AC) is 13" in the top hole and 8.5" in the lower. So it is a pretty good downhill angle even in the top hole.

I marked a spot @ 24" on the bushhog for reference. Through out 6" op ball end travel(point D), the point @ 24" raised 9". This is a .667 ratio. And since my tractor is rated @1998@ the ball ends, this would equate to 1330 lbs @ 24".

Then I Moved the TL to the lowest hole. With the same 6" of travel @ the ball end, the point @ 24" moved 11". A .545 ratio. .545 x 1998 =1089 lbs of lift @ the 24" mark.

So a roughly 250lb difference just in changing the topink in this case. Now if the toplink to bottom pin spacing on the BH were a little closer, it would make less of an angle difference between the toplink and bottom links, which would make the 24" point move less in relaion to the pin, increasing the capacity.

On a side note, I have never had the 'hog in the bottom TL hole before. Man does it rais the tail wheel high.:eek: The back edge of the deck on my 5" hog was 36" in at full height in the top hole. In the bottom hole, it was 47".

More horse beating, but If I were to stack a bunch of weights on the tail wheel, whould it take more energy to lift it to 47" as opposed to only 36"????????