1961 ford 871 sos....mint!

/ 1961 ford 871 sos....mint! #1  

Matt Chazick

Tractor
1961 Ford 871
I bought a 61 871 sos super clean. good or bad move? I heard bad things about them. it runs and operates perfect. it has a hydro valve under the seat ... I have no idea what it does...can I operate a log splitter with it?

Attachments

• Pig Roast Sept 25 2010 114.jpg
    Pig Roast Sept 25 2010 114.jpg
    388.8 KB · Views: 330
   / 1961 ford 871 sos....mint! #2  
I bought a 61 871 sos super clean. good or bad move? I heard bad things about them. it runs and operates perfect. it has a hydro valve under the seat ... I have no idea what it does...can I operate a log splitter with it?

Nice tractor. I'm in the market for a 900 series Ford. Hope to find one soon.

That hyd valve generally controls the up-down speed of the 3pt hitch. My guess is it does the same on your 871.

/ 1961 ford 871 sos....mint! #3  
That valve could be a remote control valve for operating a remote cylinder (one per spool). Does the tractor have remote couplers located at the rear?

Alternatively you might have an auxilary services valve which just has a push/pull knob. If so it could be used to control a single-acting remote cylinder.

Pictures would be a big help.

/ 1961 ford 871 sos....mint! #4  
sos can be dicey. in general, if the sos trans operates in all ranges both hot and cold.. it's ok, and will continue to be ok as long as you service and maintain it. sos trans like clean oil and filters and periodic maintenance. you will eventually need a set of gauges to check the servo's, and you will want the correct manual supplement to go with your trans. older units are ORC, newer units are DDC.. your trans may have been swapped to the newer one when they did a recall years ago.

soundguy

/ 1961 ford 871 sos....mint! #5  
ps.. she looks nice .. real nice.... I hope she's got a good trans. if so.. she's probably got a lot of work hours left in her.

soundguy