Tractor Sizing scut or cut

/ scut or cut #1  

buzzard103

Howdy all. I have read a bunch of threads about tractor sizing and have looked at several. Mainly John deere, Massey Ferguson, and New Holland. I really liked the New Holland 1520 4wd 9x3 tranny. But after talking to an uncle he said I would not like it because its small but it has more than twice the power as the Yanmar my father bought several years ago. I don't want to buy it and not be satisfied because it is too small. My budget is small and my knowledge is smaller:laughing: but I know you good fellas can help and i appreciate it up front. I would prefer a 9x3 will settle for shuttle hst is out of the question. 35hp to 40 hp engine would be fine for me. I intend on bush hogging a little. finish mowing about 3.5 acres, discing and tilling two medium sized gardens ( 50 x 100 ) and eventually cleaning up some very neglected fence rows. and would use it for fire wood gathering pulling a trailer and possibly a log or two if needed. intend on fel in the future but just can't afford it now. I have used the yanmar for tilling only and the tiller is REALLY a stress on the little thing. I am ready to upgrade. 15,000 is my absolute limit unfortunitly. Any advice is so greatly appreciated.

/ scut or cut #2  
I think 35-40 HP is plenty for what you are talking about. Tractors hold their value pretty well if properly cared for, so if you do need to upgrade later you shouldn't take a beating on your existing model. Don't know if you can get that size tractor plus attachments for $15K.

/ scut or cut #3  
Howdy all. I have read a bunch of threads about tractor sizing and have looked at several. Mainly John deere, Massey Ferguson, and New Holland. I really liked the New Holland 1520 4wd 9x3 tranny. But after talking to an uncle he said I would not like it because its small but it has more than twice the power as the Yanmar my father bought several years ago. I don't want to buy it and not be satisfied because it is too small. My budget is small and my knowledge is smaller:laughing: but I know you good fellas can help and i appreciate it up front. I would prefer a 9x3 will settle for shuttle hst is out of the question. 35hp to 40 hp engine would be fine for me. I intend on bush hogging a little. finish mowing about 3.5 acres, discing and tilling two medium sized gardens ( 50 x 100 ) and eventually cleaning up some very neglected fence rows. and would use it for fire wood gathering pulling a trailer and possibly a log or two if needed. intend on fel in the future but just can't afford it now. I have used the yanmar for tilling only and the tiller is REALLY a stress on the little thing. I am ready to upgrade. 15,000 is my absolute limit unfortunitly. Any advice is so greatly appreciated.

Visit the dealers in your neighborhood, check out the new 30-35 hp models with FEL (highly recommended), then check out the used models from 1 to 5 years ago. Get as much seat time as you can on the tractors you're eyeballing.

Sometimes you can get a good deal on new models that have been in a dealer's inventory for more than 12 months because he overbought or bought the wrong models that won't sell.

/ scut or cut #4  
New is great used is good also. If you want FEL find some way to include in the original purchase price as trying to find a FEL as an after thought will cost you more. You didn't mention how many total acres you plan on using the tractor. Discing requires a bit of weight and that is where size is important. Also what do you intend on planting besides your gardens.

/ scut or cut
I have a total of about 10 to 12 acres . most is wooded but firewood will start being cut out of it next year. I do not honestly intend on planting anything but my gardens maybe some food plots. I feel like i can get a 5 foot tiller with a new holland 1520 for around 14,500 its 0% financing for 60 months I was sold on the 1520 until my uncle started telling me it was physically too small size and weight size. I figured put some wieghts on the front for now until i can afford a fel. He has a 85 John deere 32 hp tractor same width as the 1520 i'm looking at but the wheel base is about 6 inches shorter and its about 600 pounds lighter. H flat out said that was a lot and he wouldn't have anything less. So now i'm kinda having doubts as to if it'll be enough size wise.

/ scut or cut
I have to go for now I have to take care of the kids but if nothing happens i'll check in tomorrow thanks again. I'm limited to the internet at work and I can only get on when we are not that busy. :laughing:

/ scut or cut
Why don't you want a HST?

I guess i'm just old fashioned. I feel like the expense is not worth it when it breaks. I enjoy turning wrenches myself so in 30+ years if it needs work i can fix it myself. Plus in my opinion its a tried and true mechanism so why change it. but thats just my opinion and judging the way the manufacturers is making tractors now days i'm the only one with that opinion :laughing: the new holland 1510 and 1520 can have a 9x3

/ scut or cut #10  
I guess i'm just old fashioned. I feel like the expense is not worth it when it breaks. I enjoy turning wrenches myself so in 30+ years if it needs work i can fix it myself. Plus in my opinion its a tried and true mechanism so why change it. but thats just my opinion and judging the way the manufacturers is making tractors now days i'm the only one with that opinion :laughing: the new holland 1510 and 1520 can have a 9x3

Well, to each his own. I know I wouldn't trade my HST. ;)