Buying Advice Trailer Needed for JD 3320 or not?

/ Trailer Needed for JD 3320 or not? #1  

sfloggie

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320
I wrote the topic for 3320 Private purchase and have made the purchase with receipt Saturday.
The seller has a trailer the had special made for carrying this 3320 with it's FEL and BH plus he added a metal tool box in front. It has removable fenders. The 3320 will arrive on it.
The seller of the 3320 is asking $3000 for the trailer, but will drop lower. My wife and I think we do not need a trailer as the JD location is so close (5 minutes) they could pick/deliver.
Now I fell stupid asking, but from your experiences will we find we need it. I really could not see where we would.

Thank you,
Jim

/ Trailer Needed for JD 3320 or not? #2  
Just depends. I personally could not do without a trailer.

You say its built for the tractor. Can it be used for anything else? I use mine for hauling out boats, cars, trucks, ATV's, lumber, my tractor, others tractors, ect, ect, ect. My trailer is just a plain old wood decked 18' tandem axle trailer with brakes on one axle.

As for the price, it would have to be a very nice trailer to pay $3000 for. You could get a new 20' flat bed for less than that and it could be used for everything, not just hauling a specific tractor.

Chris

/ Trailer Needed for JD 3320 or not? #3  
Can easily drive the tractor to the JD location if needed.

In 11 years, I've not needed a trailer for my 4300.

/ Trailer Needed for JD 3320 or not? #5  
IIRC my local deal who is also about 5 - 10 minutes away tells me the charge for pickup is $37 - so for a $3K trailer, if your situation is similar that's about 40 round trips to and from the dealer. For a 5 minute trip you could drive the tractor, unless it is inoperative.

Unless you can think of other uses for the trailer, I'd pass. the other thing to consider is trailer prices in your area. For $3K I could buy an brand new trailer that would do the job.

/ Trailer Needed for JD 3320 or not? #6  
As I am in the research mode before I buy a trailer ...may I suggest that a $3000 trailer sounds a bit expensive if you will only use it once or twice a year.

I have found 1/2 a dozen delaers within 200 miles of me that have 16 to 18 foot car trailers and equipment trailers in the 7K weight for around $1800 to $2800 and these are BRAND NEW, not something used.

I will have many uses for my trailer

- My Tractor to till and hog out people
- My & Dad's 1940 Buick
- Lumber

Just a thought.

Also remember that you need a decent tow vehicle too and a good hitch on that vehicle.

No sub compact cars or compact trucks with a 4 banger

/ Trailer Needed for JD 3320 or not? #7  
I am about to buy a tractor and I already have a friend who would like use my tractor. I have had similar thoughts about a trailer, but I would have to buy a new truck to haul the trailer and the trailer is going to set me back another 2-3K. I told him if he pays for a flatbed tow truck to haul it both ways he can use it. It's 4 mile each way, I figure about $100 dollars or so round trip.

/ Trailer Needed for JD 3320 or not?
Great discussion and I laughed at Manganos ...true but funny.

I had not checked trailer prices in the area because we did not see a need for the trailer. I started having second thoughts, but you settled my mind...no need for the trailer.

Pick up by the JD dealer and Polaris dealer are inexpensive (when needed). You are right that it would take a lot of dealer pickups to reach even a portion of the trailer cost.

I have a trailer hitch on my F150, but watch out if you see me on the road with a trailer.. much less a loaded trailer!

Sorry if this thread seemed stupid, but I just do not know some of the things related to what I am going to do or trying to do on the land. I am Blessed to have a good farm family working a portion of the land and good neighbors. I will learn from them

Will send photos of the 3320, and projects before, during and after.

Thanks again.

/ Trailer Needed for JD 3320 or not? #9  
Unless you plan to hire out with your rig you don't need a trailer for it, a trailer can always be handy around a place, but he is asking to much for this trailer, you can pick up one much cheaper than this, This Trailer maybe heavy built, but for a tamden 16ft. to use around a place, to haul what ever, can be picked up for a 1000 or so bucks,

/ Trailer Needed for JD 3320 or not? #10  
I wish I had a trailer.

I could help my friends and others with their projects. Get more seat time.:thumbsup: