Tractor Sizing What size Tractor do i need?

/ What size Tractor do i need? #11  
Maybe visit to local dealer/dealers and chat..get the word out what your looking for.

/ What size Tractor do i need?
Maybe visit to local dealer/dealers and chat..get the word out what your looking for.

im going to go to a Kubota dealer in stigler OK tomorrow and see what kind of pricing they have.

/ What size Tractor do i need? #13  
Not sure about the Bobcat tlb, but around here 25k will put you in a used Kubota L39 or John Deere 110 tlb units. That amount would also put you in a nice used Bobcat, New Holland, Deere or other skidsteer that would be a better land development tool than would a tractor/loader/backhoe. But the skidsteer does'nt do other tasks such as mowing or tilling as well - plus skidsteer attachments are typically more expensive. Take others advice here and consider all the tasks you have in store for the equipment - then choose wisely.

/ What size Tractor do i need? #14  
As many of the others have said, digging is only 1/2 the issue - you need to move that dirt. Most likely, you will spend more time and effort transporting than digging. We have a small mini-ex (4,000 lb) and a skidsteer (7,000 lbs) - the mini-ex piles it up much faster than the skidsteer can move it around (2 operators - one in each at the same time), and a skidsteer is much faster than a tractor would be moving dirt. And if you only have one piece of equipment (tractor/loader/backhoe), remember that you are going to have to stop digging and move your spoil piles more often.
So figure this will take longer than you expect. Also, depending on your soil, it may be a lot of wear and tear on your equipment. Having said that, there are a lot of ponds that have been dug with just a johnny bucket - depends how much time and persistance you have to get this done. If you enjoy the seat time and have plenty of time to get done, have at it! If you see this as a chore or don't have the time, you may be better off to rent/hire big equipment to come in, get it done, and get out. Just my opinion.....

Talked to a Bobcat dealer today and he is gonna give me pricing tomorrow.

If i can just get a small excavator with a 12" bucket that would be so much more than i have now. While it may take me longer than having it professionally done with big machines and dump trucks, it will be a lot faster than my shovel.
I do have a polaris 850 that weighs 800 pounds that i can haul dirt with in a dump cart.
one area im trying to clear had a trailor that burned to the ground so i been digging thru the wuuds removing cement, tin and trash so i can mow it safely. It takes me forever to do just a small area by hand. With the excavator i will be able to just scape it clean with the front blade and bury the debris. Im really excited about getting one and hope i can afford it.

got a price of 29,800.00 for a brand new Bobcat 325
They did have a 329 with 1200 hours for 12,500.00 which seems like a deal but ill have to look at it. im sure it must be beaten up bad.
But i plan on getting the new 325 if i don't see a good used one that i would feel comfortable buying.

/ What size Tractor do i need? #17  
With the economy, there are a lot of minis out there if you look around. Not going to open the "brand" war on which one is best. We have Bobcat stuff - but that is more a product of picking up the machines at a great price (used). And we have a local dealer who can get all the parts I need - but parts for any machine are going to be expensive...
I have a 322 (older machine) wiith a 16" bucket - it has been able to do anything we needed it to do on our 30 acres. Takes longer at times than a bigger one would need, but can chip away at most jobs. Digs holes/trenches, takes out stumps, use it as a crane, minor grading and backfill, etc. And this class (weight) machine can be pulled on a medium weight trailer by a 1/2 ton pickup.
If you are handy with a wrench, look at used machines, but try and stay under 1500 hours or so. Most "experts" say the machines start to wear out at 2500-3000 hours, depending on care and maintenance. Still life in them, and may work fine for home use, but they start to need expensive parts and show wear in their joints. Good luck!

yeah i am pretty sure i am gonna get a new one, i am handy with a wrench but unfamiliar with working on these. I made a list of projects i needed it for and came up with over 20 uses. So it will definitely be something that will help in so many ways.
i am also looking at a dump trailer for my ATV.
this one
1600 Utility ATV Wagon - Power Dump Cart, dumping ATV Trailer- Power RAM strongest, best, ultimate atv farm trailer, atv ranch trailer
wagon500.gif

/ What size Tractor do i need? #19  
While that's a nice looking dump trailer, I still think you need to go larger scale to keep up with your digging, especially if you go with a mini. Dirt is heavy, and you would be surprised how even a small pile can add up the pounds. I doubt you could fill that trailer with dirt - leaves and junk, yea, but a full load of dirt would overload it.
Then there is the safety issue - you are pulling a trailer heavier than your atv. Even if it has trailer brakes that you can hook up to your atv (?), it still is going to push when turning, or up/down hills, etc. It may end up taking you for a ride and getting you hurt. Besides,that is more weight than your atv is designed to pull/steer/stop - asking for trouble...
A mini-x is a great tool for what it does, but it won't meet all your needs. Not sure what those 20 thngs you have to do are, but I would think a good utility compact tractor would be your first buy. Tractor will have better weight and traction than your atv, and can accomplish more tasks. If you get a loader, it should move dirt at least as well as your atv. Then add a mini-x as a digging tool.
Even a scut with backhoe (one of the small Kabota B's, a Deere 2305 with hoe, or Massey has a nice little TBL as well) will do better than a shovel and cart! And they will do more general tasks than just an x.

/ What size Tractor do i need? #20  
Hi all, i am glad i found this forum already just from reading threads on here.
I want to be able to dig a decent sized pond, like 50' x 50' maybe 8 feet deep, get stumps out of the ground, i don't mind if i have to work on for a while, i have been doing everything by hand anyways so it will be much faster than that way.

I know i need a shovel on the back and the scoop, but not sure what size tractor i should try to get. I know nothing about tractors but i am a fast learner.

Thanks, illya

Depending on your comfort level, I recommend either renting a excavator or hiring someone with one. It could be dug in just over a day. Then you can move all the dirt at your leisure.