Tractor Sizing Looking for a new tractor

/ Looking for a new tractor #1  

tessiers

Platinum Member
Tractor
05' JD 790 - 53' Ford NAA - 70' Massey Fergusen 135 diesel - 67' John Deere 3020 deisel - 77' John Deere 2130 - 1950 John Deere MC
I am looking for a new SMALL tractor for general farm field work. I currently use a 1941 Farmall H which is 25hp or so, I like it because I sit high up and can see into the cutter bar, chopper feed, and baler pickup very well. I also have a Ford NAA which I rake with however don't like as well because visability over the tire is poor. The other problem with both is they suck fuel like its free. I also have a JD 790 which I love for around the farm and barn area, however it is plagued by the same poor visability of the NAA. What I am looking for is something where I set up and have good visability over the right rear tire. In addition I would like to step up to 40 to 45 PTO HP in the event I buy a small round baler, and a loader with 1500 to 2000 lb capacity for round bales. I am also quite conservative and I do not want a huge tractor, I only hay enough for my own use and have no interest in going commercial. I plan to keep the 790 because I like is so well, however the new one will be used mostly in the field.

I was at the dealer today and I sat on a 4320 and a 505E. Both in the 40 to 45 PTO HP range. Visability was much better on the 4320, and I liked the size better, however the 5055E had a few more HP. Upon doing a little research I found that the 4520 looks like the same frame and engine as the 4320 with a few more HP. I realize the 50 series are farm tractors however feel the 4520 would better serve my use.

Question is does anyone here use the 4520 or 4320 for farm use? Will they stand up to the PTO loads a small baler requires? The H has far less HP but weighs about the same, there is something to be said for steel. Even more importantly does anyone else make a SMALL farm tractor that has a high seat and good visability. I really like the Deere dealer but I have also had good luck at the Case/International dealer who also sells New Holland. I am open to suggestions, since I am currently using a 1941 tractor this may very well be the last tractor I buy, I would like to get it right.

Sorry for the long post and Thanks!

/ Looking for a new tractor #2  
My brother-in-law has been square baling with a 790 for several years, so anything larger should work fine. And he says it just 'sips' fuel.
Maybe just stick with it?

Edit: If you were going commercial my answer would have been different, but to keep costs down......stick with the 790.

/ Looking for a new tractor #3  
I move round bales with my JD 870. I use a rear attachment but I also made a frame to bolt a spear to use withthe front loader. Of course no high lifting in front. Where I live a round bale is rarely more than a thousand pounds. In my concrete floored barn I have raised the bales to double stack back when we were using a lot of round bales. My 870 is a 25/28 hp tractor 3,000 pounds before the loader. Pretty light.

I have been interested in small square balers that could work with my 870 but I don't actually have any hay fields so that is more of a silly dream that will never occur. So my question is what model square baler are you wanting to use?

/ Looking for a new tractor
I have a new holland 67 hayliner right now, I have baled lots of hay with it behind my Farmall H at 25 hp and a fair amount behind the 790 so you can do it with your 870 all right. I buy a few dry round bales and I move them around with a loader mounted spear on the 790, however they are only 500 to 700 lb range. I would like wrapped bales which would be 1500 lbs, if I could move them. Also a round baler requires 40 hp or so which I don't have. I do like the 790 on fuel consumption, I can run her hard all day long and seldom use 5 gallons of fuel, the old Farmall uses that before coffe break. 1 of my problems is the R-4 tires, when I bought the 790 I thought they would be great, now I hate them, I may try some R-1 and see if that helps visability, I know it will help traction.

/ Looking for a new tractor #5  
The Deere 4x20 series are fine machines. Pick the model w/ the hp you need and run it hard.

/ Looking for a new tractor #6  
It sounds like you may have your mind made up to get a Deere, but I recently purchased a LS P7010 cab tractor that I am happy with performance, fuel consumption and quality of built. IT may be worth a look as they have penned a deal with NEW Holland to furnish 35,000 tractors in the next 2 years to be marked as LS NEWHOLLAND brand. They are also rapidly expanding their own network of dealers. They have built several models of tractors for NH, Case, Mahindra, TYM and all of the Montana tractors I believe were by LS. They are quality line of tractors with lots of standard options for a reasonable price. I got mine with FEL, Cab with heat/AC and stereo, gear drive 20F/20R shuttle shift transmission with 3 pairs of remote hydraulic ports for $35K. It is 72 HP and plenty big to handle a round baler if you wanted to and lifts more than 3500 pounds with the FEL

Attachments

• IMG_0818.JPG
    IMG_0818.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 229
   / Looking for a new tractor
The other thing I wanted to mention is that I don't hay any of my own land, that is all in pasture. I have found more small hay fields people are willing to have me cut for the hay, than I can handle. Farms are getting bigger along with the equipment and it seams as if nothing under 5 acres is worth their time. I actually hay about 15 acres and green chop another 5 to 7, all other peoples land, no cost to me.

Also I am not commited to John Deere, however I do have a good working relationship with the local dealer and I strongly feel service is more important than price and brand. I also have a good working relationship with the Case/International and New Holland dealer. I would be willing to look at others but dealership will be very important.

/ Looking for a new tractor #9  
just kicking the idea out as they are cheap enough for you to buy a good loader tractor that may lack the visibility you want.. and this one.

have you looked at a ford rowcrop nf or wf from the 55-64 00/01/000 4 cyl models?

9xx or 4000 will get you a 45hp machine. can get diesel or gas. ford rowcrops of that era should be cheap.. like 2500$.. great visibility. get a live pto model like a 960/961 or a 4000 with a 5spd.. or alternately.. a GOOD running unit with an SOS trans and independent pto.

that and your good loader tractor..

soundguy

/ Looking for a new tractor #10  
It sounds like a basic solid 2wd 50 plus HP tractor is what you are looking for. If you have a Mahindra dealer near you, give the Mahindra 5535 tractor a look.