Tractor Sizing Am I on the right track with what size tractor I THINK I need?

/ Am I on the right track with what size tractor I THINK I need? #21  
It is very likely that the tractor I end up buying won't have forward hydraulics. Is it difficult or overly pricey to add forward hydraulics to run the grapple?

It cost me around $500 to have dual rear remotes installed. You run hoses up to the front.

/ Am I on the right track with what size tractor I THINK I need? #22  
I found an L4610 with 600 hours for 18k in good condition. its hydro and comes with a box blade. Its a 2004, but when I look on tractordata.com it says they were only manufactured in '01 and '02? Is tractor data wrong on this tractor?

I have read some opinions on the L4610 over the last 4 hours and overall they seem positive and it seems like it would fit the bill for what I would need.

Does that price seem a little high or is it about right? I looked on tractorhouse and found one in PA for about 14k with 1,000 hrs on it. I am located in MA if that helps. Also, I want to add the hydraulics for the grapple, is that difficult to do and cost prohibitive? Or should I just hold out for a tractor that already has forward hydro?

Should I take a look at this one or keep looking for a better deal?

I bought my L4610 new in 2002 and it has been a hard-working, trouble-free machine. We're just at 1000 hours now and the only thing that needed replacing (other than occasional minor damage done by the doofus operating it... that's me :eek:), was an air filter sensor that needed replacing.

Kubota added the L4610 to the 10 series as a step up in horsepower over the L4310, I think in 2000 or 2001. Then, in '03 or '04, they came out with the redesigned 30 series, in which the L4630 was the comparable model to the L4610. The 4610 also was the only model to have the LA852 FEL, which was also quite a bit stronger than the FEL on the smaller L tractors. The LA852 has basically the same lifting capacity as the newer LA853 and LA854 loaders, but does not have the more modern curved arms of the newer ones. The 4610 also had a much heavier front axle than the smaller models to accomodate the heavier loader. That axle looks to be much the same as on the current larger Grand L's.

Pricing is very regional, and New England always seems to be high, but I think $18k is a bit steep, even for an exceptionally clean unit. Speaking of "clean units", I've always thought it was more important to find used equipment that was well maintained and in good condition than focussing entirely on what color of paint it had. But that's free advice worth every penny!

Good luck with your shopping.

/ Am I on the right track with what size tractor I THINK I need?
Thanks Grandad, sounds like you really know a lot about those machines and I respect your opinion. I just posted on the kubota buying forum some more details, hopefully you'll see that. What do you think a fair price would be? I'm not the type to lowball people and don't mind paying for a fair deal, but I don't want to overpay either.

/ Am I on the right track with what size tractor I THINK I need? #24  
Don't forget about that 0% financing they're offering these days.. I just sent my last check last month.

/ Am I on the right track with what size tractor I THINK I need? #25  
I would suggest you look at a Deere 110tlb and sell off the old hoe. It should be able to meet everything on your list no problem.

I looked at the Deere TLB and really liked it, went and checked it out at my dealership and was impressed but it is cost prohibitive right now. I wouldn't be able to get much for the trusty ole D-hoe so it wouldn't help out too much. Also I don't think the TLB comes close to the digging power of the old D-hoe. Size and weight wise they just don't compare.

/ Am I on the right track with what size tractor I THINK I need? #27  
The NH T1530 that just came out is also a good looking set up with 45 hp, HST, 4WD, and 2000 lbs of loader lift. I was quoted 23k for a new one last month with 72 months of 0% financing.

/ Am I on the right track with what size tractor I THINK I need? #28  
10-20 acres of a 50 acre family inheritance sounds like you'll be having requests from other members to do work for them; so in actuality, it sounds like you have 50 acres of woodland to work with.

Bobcat/Kioti 25 - 35 hp models are all the same tractor frame. Only difference is the size of the engine, and the amount of power it will put out. So if you go down to the 25 hp model, you'll have just as rugged a tractor as the 35 hp model. From what I've heard, and minor experience test driving, you're going to want that power for rock, tree, and possibly snow removal.

I hate buying ANYTHING on credit; so I can fully sympathize with you on the funds bit. Wife totalled her van two years running. Insurance companies don't like clients doing that. Which takes a bit out of MY tractor fund too.

/sigh

/ Am I on the right track with what size tractor I THINK I need? #29  
So if you go down to the 25 hp model, you'll have just as rugged a tractor as the 35 hp model. From what I've heard, and minor experience test driving, you're going to want that power for rock, tree, and possibly snow removal.

I'd say, 'only if you're in a rush'. That's when I usually break stuff.
You could run bigger powered attachments tho. I never need to run mine near full power, but I guess if you were going to run a chipper or pull a (multi-bottom) dirt plow, that's a different story..

10-20 acres of a 50 acre family inheritance sounds like you'll be having requests from other members to do work for them; so in actuality, it sounds like you have 50 acres of woodland to work with.

From what I've heard, and minor experience test driving, you're going to want that power for rock, tree, and possibly snow removal.

Your absolutely right on both of those statements. FEL will be used mostly for rock, tree, and stump moving. This will be my primary means of plowing the driveway as well, hopefully about 800' or so.

Although I'm only getting 10-20 acres in my name, the remaining land is basically mine as well, and I will be managing the full 50 acres with the help of a written management plan from a forester. I'm the only one in the family with any interest in this sort of thing.