Parts availability

/ Parts availability #1  

twhman

First thanks to everyone who responded to my earlier question on PTO HP. I am considering two different tractors (Ford 3930 or an Agco Allis/White 5650(made by SLH for Agco)) and since I will not use the tractor alot each year and my work will be generally light; I expect that either will last me a lot of years. I have read some posts that talk about manufactures discontinuing parts after a few years. Since my tractor will not get much use parts availability maybe something I want to consider in making a choice. What is it like getting parts 20-25 years down the road? Does brand make a difference is Ford/NH or Agco different? Does the fact one tractor is made in the US and the other is imported make a different since they are both sold by major names? I sure would appreciate your comments on this issue.

/ Parts availability #2  
The dealer has been able to get anything I have needed for my 20 year-old Ford 1210. They have a computer setup that replaced the microfiche cards they had a few years ago. All I have to do is point at the part, and the guy gets it in a few days if it's something not in stock. As a matter of fact, I haven't had to wait as long for Ford parts as I have for the telescoping stabilizers for the lift arms on my 2002 Kubota B7500HST. The Winkerlight (turn signal to us Americans) lens for the Kubota took a few weeks.

I had a Cub 154 LoBoy, and another dealer was always able to either pull parts from stock (for the more common stuff) or get them in 3 days.

Never had an Agco, so I don't have any first-hand info on that brand...........................chim

/ Parts availability #3  
Just to clarify, the 3930 was built in Great Britain by an American company that has since sold out to an Italian conglomerate that is bigger than the Italian conglomerate that built the Agco. No one can predict what parts availability for a particular tractor will be ten or more years down the road.

/ Parts availability #4  
The NH 3930 sales numbers are extensive enough to warrant parts availability for 20 years plus. Remember it is always about money and the market on parts for a utility tractor starts to grow exponentially after 8 years of use for a model. These tractors usually have a useful life of 30 years.

/ Parts availability
I agree that with the tractor industry the way it is there is no way to know what parts will be available in the future...maybe even no way to know if a product line will be around. However, I guess it does make sense that if there are a lot of a model out there it is in the companies own best interest to stock the parts and make some $ on it. Maybe in that respect the 3930 is a smarter choice.

/ Parts availability #6  
Well if you are down to those choices. I'd say look both over very carefully. I think you'll find the SLH is built stronger for the long run. If it was a bigger Ford (10 or 40 series) I'd say go Ford. But in that size range the Agco/Allis is a better tractor.

/ Parts availability
Woodbeef,

I appreciate you comments. Since AGCO - ALLIS/WHITE is not big in my area it is hard to get much feedback from farmers on them. I like the ergonomics of the tractor better than the 3930 but my guess (since I am new to tractors this is probably an accurate word) was that the 3930 was probably a little better long term than the AGCO. There are tons of 3930 in this area. However, based on your profile it appears you have a sizable operation in North of the Border and based on my internet searching there are a fair number of used AGCO-Whites up there. Based on the number used I would guess that White is fairly popular in that region so you are probably very familiar with them. I know from your past posts that you love the VALTRAS, however, new they are just to much money for a person that is only an occasional user for bushhogging, road maintance, running an auger and moving some round bales. The farm we are buying is only about 33 acres much of it still wooded. However, everything I have seen on the new VALTRAS looks impressive unfortunatly just to much money for my situation. Have you had any personal experience with the SLH line of AGCO? Any other advice? Being a new to all this I appreciate your sharing your knowledge - this is a big purchase for us. Thanks.

/ Parts availability #8  
I've had excellent support from New Holland for my older stuff. I've had several occasions to order stuff that was a bit out of the ordinary so it wasn't stocked locally, but NH was able to ship the parts to me quickly. Kubota on the other hand can't seem to be able to drop ship.

When something's not stocked it's nice to get it shipped directly to you rather than drive several hours round trip to go back to the dealer to pick it up.

/ Parts availability #9  
Hey twhman,

Yes,quite a few A/A and Whites up here. The smaller SLH lines are very popular for working inside barns,it's odd to find one with out mfd and a fel. Local dealer sold quite a few of them,and I've never seen any used ones on his lot,or at other local dealers no matter which color.

E mail me,and I'll put you in touch with a friend of mine who runs them. loco@reach.net

/ Parts availability #10  
No guarantees, but think about this.. My Ford 8N is 50 years old, and I can run down to the local Tractor supply co, and get many parts for it, or I can go to Ford/NH and get parts.... not too shabby...

Soundguy