Buying Advice How much discount should I look for on implements?

/ How much discount should I look for on implements? #11  
Please help me remove some of my ignorance and explain to me (in real simple terms, please) what is this "30+20+5" stuff? I have an idea, but not quiet sure how it works.

/ How much discount should I look for on implements?
When I got my Kubota some of the attachments at the dealer were available under the 0% financing while elsewhere it might be cheaper but it needs cash to buy. Might be a reason to buy it all at once from the dealer.

Rick

Exactly, and with the reason for the tractor being we are getting a much larger place, cash out of pocket is a concern.

Most of the implements I'm getting up front to help get the new place up and running as soon as possible. So although I wish I had the option of searching out bargains it's just not practical.

Thanks everyone for the replies, I think I'll just start around 20% discount and haggle from there.

/ How much discount should I look for on implements? #13  
Please help me remove some of my ignorance and explain to me (in real simple terms, please) what is this "30+20+5" stuff? I have an idea, but not quiet sure how it works.

If a piece lists for $100, you would take 30% off that, leaving $70 and then 20% off that leaving $56, and then take 5% off of that leaving a cost to a dealer of $53.20. That ain't happenin in the machinery business. Like I said earlier, more like a 20 + 5 with net Due in 10 days. Floor Plan tractors or equipment is just a joke. A piece sets on a lot for a few weeks or months and then the dealer starts paying interest on that piece and eventually it all comes due with interest addded to initial cost. If a dealer is floor planning, he can sell a piece to his customer for a lot less and make more clear money the first day it comes in, than he can after it sets for a year or two on his lot. Ken Sweet

Last edited:
   / How much discount should I look for on implements? #14  
Exactly, and with the reason for the tractor being we are getting a much larger place, cash out of pocket is a concern.

Most of the implements I'm getting up front to help get the new place up and running as soon as possible. So although I wish I had the option of searching out bargains it's just not practical.

Thanks everyone for the replies, I think I'll just start around 20% discount and haggle from there.

:laughing:

I sure wish this economy was good enough for the dealers to even add a 20% mark up on prices. Better yet, I'm still looking for the manufactures MSRP's for implements. If a dealer has enough mark up on a implement that he would be able to give away 20% on it's probably been sitting on the lot a long time because it was over priced to begin with. When his gross margin is coming around between 20-30% and you ask for 20% off don't expect that haggling to go to far. Just because a dealer gives you a price on some equipment doesn't make the price a MSRP. It's a dealer price.

/ How much discount should I look for on implements?
:laughing:

I sure wish this economy was good enough for the dealers to even add a 20% mark up on prices. Better yet, I'm still looking for the manufactures MSRP's for implements. If a dealer has enough mark up on a implement that he would be able to give away 20% on it's probably been sitting on the lot a long time because it was over priced to begin with. When his gross margin is coming around between 20-30% and you ask for 20% off don't expect that haggling to go to far. Just because a dealer gives you a price on some equipment doesn't make the price a MSRP. It's a dealer price.

Well you have to start somewhere don't you?

If you have some advice as to a better starting point please offer it.