Buying Advice How much discount should I look for on implements?

/ How much discount should I look for on implements? #1  

Robb71

Bronze Member
Tractor
Short Bus Driver
Forgive me if it's been covered ad nauseum, but I did not find anything searching.

When buying a new tractor what is a reasonable discount when adding several implements? 14% off seems to be the going advice for the tractor price but not sure about the extras.

Looking at adding a box blade, bush hog, two bale spears, drag harrow, auger, and a quick hitch to a Kubota M5040 with FEL.

Thanks

/ How much discount should I look for on implements? #2  
Forgive me if it's been covered ad nauseum, but I did not find anything searching.

When buying a new tractor what is a reasonable discount when adding several implements? 14% off seems to be the going advice for the tractor price but not sure about the extras.

Looking at adding a box blade, bush hog, two bale spears, drag harrow, auger, and a quick hitch to a Kubota M5040 with FEL.

Thanks

Check eBay and Craigslist to see asking and selling prices for those implements. Compare to the dealer's price. That'll give you a ballpark answer.

/ How much discount should I look for on implements? #3  
I think I would look around and know the going rate for the attachments you're looking for. You can also get some good deals from Ebay or Craigslist if you can wait. Usually the selling price on craigslist is 50% of the new price.

/ How much discount should I look for on implements? #4  
With that many implements, you might consider purchasing separately and used. With a little shopping, you can save around 50% on new prices on implements, for good quality stuff. Especially if you're financing. Auctions is another good source for new implements, typically 30-40% off retail.

/ How much discount should I look for on implements? #5  
......When buying a new tractor what is a reasonable discount when adding several implements? 14% off seems to be the going advice for the tractor price but not sure about the extras.

Thanks

Likely depends on how much a dealer wants you as a customer. There are those with potential to buy more later on, and there are those who are just going for a "one-shot" deal and won't be back for more purchases later on (or if they are back, it is with problems expecting the dealer to cover them).
I don't see that there is any pat answer as to what discount to expect (even a ballpark guess). Too many variables. Inventory of the dealer, customer potential, etc.

But there are deals out there, and ways to find them as suggested. Good luck.

/ How much discount should I look for on implements? #6  
When I got my Kubota some of the attachments at the dealer were available under the 0% financing while elsewhere it might be cheaper but it needs cash to buy. Might be a reason to buy it all at once from the dealer.

Rick

/ How much discount should I look for on implements? #7  

Thanks

I think the margin's received on implements by tractor dealers and farm stores may be quite a bit different. Also, dealers and farm stores buy when the reps offer them great deals (like 30 +10 +5 etc) with discounts for quantity, payment, delivery, new models, old stock, anticipation, and a host of other stuff...and, depending how "hungry" the manufacturer is. I like to find implements at 20 to 30% or more discount from msrp...with so many variables here.

So.....if your shopping for new implements, the deal offered to you may be dependent on how that dealer bought stuff....and how long he has had it....is it weathered?....and such. From my own experience, I have been able to pick up bargains.....an item here....and an item there....at great prices :thumbsup:;)....just like my wife shops. :laughing:

My dad was a successful implement dealer in the 40's and 50's....his motto: "If you don't buy right....you cant sell right".

/ How much discount should I look for on implements? #8  

Thanks

Only speaking for myself, I negotiated a 15% discount on the purchase.

In September of 2009 I ordered a JD3720 with a CX300 FEL and a Frontier RC2060 cutter with an IMatch. The dealer told me the MSRP and what he could sell it for. I figured I wanted to do business with him so I didn't go for the juggular when it came to the counter-offer. I told him what I was willing to pay (the MSRP - 15% figure) and he took it to his boss who said OK. A little while later I went back and bought a Frontier BB2060 Box Blade and told him I'd pay (MSRP-15%) for it, which he agreed to.

I may have been able to get more off, but I was looking for a good deal AND a relationship with the dealer. If I was just looking for a deal, I would have gone for an 18-20% price deal.

Just my opinion.

/ How much discount should I look for on implements? #9  
That's a lot of attachments. If you buy them all at once I would offer MSRP minus 20%.

If you buy a couple at a time I would expect to pay MSRP minus 10 to 15%.

Good luck with your purchase.

/ How much discount should I look for on implements? #10  
FWIW, I have many vendors for New equipment and 20 + 5 is about what most dealers get off MSRP. Ken Sweet