Buying Advice Overall best tractor?

/ Overall best tractor? #1  

TheRealWorld

Bronze Member
I am brand new here, but would like to know what you all would recommend for price and reliability and parts? I am looking for a 40 HP 4X4.

/ Overall best tractor? #2  
There is no right or wrong answer here. Its like a the Ford, Chevy, Dodge fight.

Get what you like best, is in your budget, and has good dealer support in your area.

For example, many thank Kuboat is the best in this class but there is not a Kubota dealer within 45 miles of me while I have Jinma, John Deere, BobCat, Kioti, Case, Cat, and New Holland dealers within 15 miles or so.

Chris

/ Overall best tractor? #3  
You will get a 100 different suggestions on the best, but I like what I got. Not the cheapest I'm sure. New Holland 3040. :)

/ Overall best tractor? #4  
Well of course after you look at specs, test drive, and talk to others the best tractor will be the one you buy. Good luck!

/ Overall best tractor?
Thanks for the input, I will be waiting for more. Give me some place to start!

/ Overall best tractor? #6  
First determine the tasks you plan to accomplish with a tractor. If you list these tasks on TBN you will get more advice than you want.

/ Overall best tractor? #7  
Although the dealer is an important component, how often do you need to interface with the dealer? I bought my first tractor used, sight unseen (in the days before the internet) from a 4x6 photo from a used equip dealer. never regretted the decision.

what's important in a decision like this is 1) will the model you're interesting in do what you need it to do and 2) will it drive you nuts (unreliable, uncomfortable, difficult to use). There might be certain features you want/need that are only available on some models. You should try out as many different makes and models as you can--renting a tractor is a good way to spend some real seat time. And then read reviews and seek out opinions--both pro and con--to help you make your decision. Generally the "best" tractor won't be the most affordable, any more than a BMW costs the same as a Kia. They both have their place, though.

I've had excellent luck with Kubotas; I like the way they are engineered compared to some other brands. But that's just me. Other people like JD, NH, and other brands.

Welcome and good luck with your search.

/ Overall best tractor? #8  
I am brand new here, but would like to know what you all would recommend for price and reliability and parts? I am looking for a 40 HP 4X4.

Glad to have you here at TBN, but you gotta realize that's some loaded question to start out with, right? There are dozens of different brands owned by thousands of different folks who post here. What are the odds you'll get any kind of agreement from all those people about the best brands of equipment? Well, let's see... did they ever settle the Ford vs Chevy debate that has been going on for, what, 75 years? :laughing:

If you do some reading here, I think you'll find people who know tractors usually say that many manufacturers are making good quality, dependable equipment these days. But each brand has its own strong points, and you'll have to study them and match them against what you expect to be doing. Since you are the only one who knows that information, recommendations from others would have to be pretty generic. And a lot of it comes down to personal preference and the dealers you choose to work with.

You can get an idea of which brands are most popular by how many threads, posts and participants are active in the forums for the different brands. Generally, JD, Kubota and New Holland are considered to be the leaders in the under 60hp tractor market, but there are several others that also make very good equipment.

Pricing is regional and also dealer specific, so it's hard to generalize.

If you gave a little more specific detail of what you plan to do with a tractor, you'd probably get more detailed comments.

/ Overall best tractor? #9  
I would start with ALL the dealers that are in whatever a comfortable driving distance is for you. You have to start somewhere and it does not do much good if we start recommending something that you are not willing to even drive to (to far away) and try to get a look at. Most all the tractors are pretty good these days, you need to look at as many as you can. Sit on as many as you can, try to get a feel for the location and positioning of all the controls. What fits and is comfortable for one of us does not mean that it would be for you. What is your price range? What implements are you going to need to get done whatever it is that you want to do?

The more information that you can give us, the better we will be able to help you.;)
Oh, and welcome. Maybe fill out your profile a bit better, when the time comes, location can make a huge difference when it comes to recommendations.

/ Overall best tractor? #10  
My first tractor was a used Ford. Eleven years later it was replaced by a used John Deere. Two weeks ago I bought a new Bobcat, which may eventually replace the John Deere I have been using problem free for the last ten years.

Each one has been the best I could buy with the budget I had at the time. I really think any major brand tractor can be the best tractor. It just comes down to buying what you like best in the price range you can afford. Try a few out and see which one sticks.

Stick with a higher volume model from one of the major brands and parts should not be a problem in the future.