$5k enough?

/ $5k enough? #1  

Anonymous Poster

I've got 5 acres of land, of which 3 will be lawn. The rest is in the back of the house and needs to be worked (undergrowth, rock piles, brush, downed trees). A real eye-sore.

So, here's my question... Can $5,000.00 get me a tractor that will do what I need or should I invest in a nice Garden Tractor to mainly cut grass with. Then hire out the work to be done in the back.

DC

/ $5k enough? #2  
My opinion.

Lets break it down. You plan to have 3 ac in pasture. While you could mow this with a lawnmower, it will be a LONG process.. and will wear the poor thing out. Maybee a lawnmower pulling a drag mower.... but then we are getting expensive.. and they are dedicated machines.

(<font color=red>cheesy salesperson voice:eek:n ) <font color=green>You need a tractor!<font color=black>

In all seriousness though, you sound like a prime example of a small utility tractor. Your uses will dictate the price you need to pay. 2wd vs. 4wd, gear or hst, etc. If only mowing, no front end loader, etc... you may get buy with an older model.. like a working antique ( like a ford 8N or NAA ( insert <font color=blue>shameless plug-I own an 8N)<font color=black>.And depending on where you are.. these can be anywhere from 1k and up.
If you need a loader.. I would look newer.
For instance.. there are 5 tractors in my local paper today.. a ford 8n, a ford 3000 a ford 5000.. all are 5k or less.. and the ford 3000 has a loader.. and is quite a bit of tractor.

There are also new alternatives, like jinma series of chinese tractor... A 2wd 20 hp would be in your range, and it would be new.

Other great tractors like any of the 'big 3 ' or even Yanmar.. I paid 3k for my 1700 and have worked the snot out of it.

The new / used will depend on how you feel about occasionally turning a wrench, or other small maintenance issues.

There is a wealth of knowledge from the users here. If you have any specific questions, ask away and we will try our best to bounce answer off of you!

Soundguy

/ $5k enough? #3  
I'd go for a "real" tractor. You won't believe how much you'll use it. I know I also have "just" five acres and I use it for everything.
-Terry

/ $5k enough? #4  
If you don't go for a REAL tractor, at least go for a real garden tractor. A $1500 box store special will not cut it for you. I have two Ingersoll garden tractors that I work my 4.3 acres with. Do they do the job? Ya, but I wish I had something bigger. Will I get rid of them when I find a bigger tractor? Nope, just to handy in the tight stuff. So my idea of a perfict setup. An older tractor with a loader, and my big garden tractors. Just remember, you can't have to meny toys./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ $5k enough? #5  
Iworked 4 acreswith a 46 inch deck garden tractor for 8 year. Beat the heck out of the thing. Recently bought a 21 hp kubota new. Went from 1500 for the garden tractor 8 years ago to 15k for the real deal. Of course, got the front loader, rear blade to do the driveway and gass catcher. Best thing I did. Took me hours to keep the grass cut, not much quicker. So now we acquired more land and I'm up to having to keep 9 acres cut. I am selling by 21 hp for a 30 hp. Wish I taken the plunge years ago, but couldn't affford the extra payment until here recently. If you can afford it, do it

nhman

/ $5k enough? #6  
Yes, $5k is enough. Soundguy has sound advice. Check your local paper's classified adds. Also, the dealers in my area are very well represented on <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.agdealer.com>agdealer.com</A>. Try it out and see what comes up.

/ $5k enough?
Thanks men. All great advice. I noticed from the bio's that a couple of you have B7500's that would be perfect for me. But, right now out of the budget. If I can't get a good deal on something before Spring I may just decide to wait a year and see what happens to my bank account.(Wife and myself looking for substantial raises at the turn of the year)

My front yard is lawn, will not be pasture. Always wanted a big yard to run around on with the kids (one is 2.5 other on is due in Feb.) So it will have to be cut with a MMM. And if that was all I had a Lawn Tractor(mower) would be all I would need. The back yard is my dilema. When I clean this area, which will take a FEL, I can see cutting it once or twice a year with a bushhog-type rear mount. It is ~2 acres. But, if I get a Lawn Mower I'll have to pay someone to come in and do it for me.

Guys, I have to make some tough decisions soon, so keep the ideas coming.

Oh yeah, what is a drag mower?

Dale

/ $5k enough? #8  
I see Yanmars in that range. I am very pleased with mine.
The biggest thing about your budget, is that you are going to compromise SOMETHING and may want to sell what you have, later to tade for something else. So resale value might matter...

/ $5k enough? #9  
I used to work for a guy that mowed his lawn with a old WD-40 that had a Woods belly mower on it. It worked great. How much lawn did he have to mow with this set-up you ask? Less than 1/2 acre. The point to this long reply is this: Go with the tractor,any time,every time. It's just way to fun not to

/ $5k enough? #10  
You wrote <font color=blue>So it will have to be cut with a MMM</font color=blue>

...Not necessarily so. You could use a PTO driven rear finish mower (RFM) if you don't have too many obstacles (trees, flower beds, etc.) in your lawn area. This opens up the range of tractors to include those older models that do not have the ability to operate a MMM.

I have almost 4 acres almost all of which is "lawn" but has numerous trees, flower beds and a small orchard. I had a 46" riding mower (too small, really for almost 4 acres of lawn) before I got my Kubota B6100 and I still use the riding mower for all the mowing. I use the B6100 for all the other odd jobs. When the riding mower dies I'll have to seriously consider getting a RFM for the B6100.

I have two neighbors who have old Farmall's with belly mowers, one with a Cub w/ belly mower and one with a Ford and a RFM. All mow roughly 3 - 4 acres. None of them have a FEL or any other implements so I get seat time throughout the neighborhood for FEL work, rototilling, and maintaining the common gravel road.