Kubota M5040 To JD 5055E

/ Kubota M5040 To JD 5055E #1  

muckdp

Tractor
2010 Kubota M5040HD
Over the last few months of tractor research, I have continued to lust after a Kubota M5040. Mostly because of the LA1153's impressive lift capacity numbers. The other day I discovered that the JD 50XX series will take a 553 loader, which is at least comparable to a Kubota LA1153, and possibly has a little more lift capacity. (Kubota Lift at Full height @ Pivot pins: 2928, JD @ full height/pivot pins: 3133 in some docs, 2917 in others).

My primary use will be for property maintenance, and minor construction work. I have brush to clear, fields to mow, fencing to put in, 1/4 mile of driveway, and loader work to do. I also keep a lot of things on pallets and like using the 3pt and loader forks for moving things around.

The Kubota dealers around here sell a lot of the L series, and the big M series, but I have yet to find a single M5040. There however are a lot of the JD 5055E's/D's coming in off of rental return. (I'm 90% sure going with 4wd, but if the deal is right would consider a 2wd - I am using a 30 year old 40HP, 2wd right now, and for the most part get by just fine).

Obviously the JD is easier for me to come across, which makes it a pretty likely choice. I'm curious though if anyone else has put these two tractors up against each other and what they've come up with, and why you went with the choice you did.

Thanks!

P.S. It looks like from reading here I can get the JD 553 loader with the skid steer quick release, but the dealer looked at me like I was crazy when I asked him about it. It was a combination of "The words you're saying don't make any sense" and "why in the sam **** would you want to put anything other than a JD implement on your tractor?".. Which I assume is a sales tactic, but none the less will probably present a challenge in that it will probably have to be special ordered (more $$$).

/ Kubota M5040 To JD 5055E #2  
I consider the M-series Kubota a premium level tractor and you are comparing it to an entry level or lower level tractor.

The last E-series tractor I listened to was a good reason to run a Kubota, it sure wa a lot quieter!

/ Kubota M5040 To JD 5055E #3  
You might reach out to TripleR I think he has an M kubota and loves it... It might be alittle bigger than the 50 but still an M Kubota....

AndyG

/ Kubota M5040 To JD 5055E #4  
M5040's are uncommon because the 60 and 70 are only marginly more expensive. People tend to buy HP (even if they don't need it).

/ Kubota M5040 To JD 5055E #5  
M5040's are uncommon because the 60 and 70 are only marginly more expensive. People tend to buy HP (even if they don't need it).

And IIRC, the M5040 does not come with rear remotes as a standard feature (M6040 has 1, M7040 has 2), and adding 1 or 2 can get pricey.

/ Kubota M5040 To JD 5055E
I consider the M-series Kubota a premium level tractor and you are comparing it to an entry level or lower level tractor.

The last E-series tractor I listened to was a good reason to run a Kubota, it sure wa a lot quieter!

That is a good point. The first thing I noticed about the E series was how much gosh darned racket it made. And thats coming from someone who is used to driving a 30 year old tractor.

I am curious though, what makes the John Deere E series an entry level, while the M is not?

I'm planning on adding on homebrew top 'n tilt, and at least 1 extra remote in the rear anyway.

Even the 6040's and 7040's seem hard to find around here (Paso Robles, CA area). I'm not sure what the deal is. Most of the ag in the area is wineries, but I'm not sure exactly how that impacts inventory. And ALL of the inventory around here is rental return. I haven't run across a single new tractor of any kind.

/ Kubota M5040 To JD 5055E #8  
That is a good point. The first thing I noticed about the E series was how much gosh darned racket it made. And thats coming from someone who is used to driving a 30 year old tractor.

I am curious though, what makes the John Deere E series an entry level, while the M is not?

I'm planning on adding on homebrew top 'n tilt, and at least 1 extra remote in the rear anyway.

The Kubota MX Series is more of an entry or economy level tractor than the M Series, kind of like the difference between the L and Grand L. You might even look at the new M5640 or M7040 SU Series if you don't need a cab.

/ Kubota M5040 To JD 5055E #9  
i agree, the M5640SU will be an apples to apples comparison with the 5055E. i have a 5203 which is pretty much the same tractor as a 5055E and i've enjoyed mine for the past 2 years. it's gotten a ton of hard work done around my farm, hasn't given me any problems, and is almost paid for:thumbsup: i'll eventually trade it in to get a fancier tractor since i had to buy this one unexpectidly.

Thats interesting. I'm surprised that the 5055E is thought of as less of a tractor is it the Transmission?

Some stats:

Loader Max lift @ pivot (lbs):
JD 5055E (553 loader) - 3133
Kubota M5040 (LA1153 Loader): 2928
Kubota M5640SU (LA1002 loader): 2580

3PT Lift @ 24":
JD 5055E - 3192
Kubota M5640SU - 3310
Kubota M5040 - 3307

Hydraulics:
JD 5055E - 11.4 GPM
Both Kubotas are 11 GPM

Weight (lbs):
JD 5055E - 5070
M5040 - 4675
M5640SU - 4608

Transmissions:
All are Syncro'd F/R (which is all I need - I'm not concerned with clutchless F/R shifting):
JD 5055E: 9F/3R
M5040: 8F/8R
M5640SU - 8F/4R

IMHO the MX5100 Doesn't compare to any of these, so I'm not bothering to look at it.

All three have Draft control, and come with 1 standard Remote Valve (at least as far as I can tell on their spec sheets). All three are also roughly the same physical dimensions in terms of height, length, turning radius, etc... I do really like that the M5040 has the external 3pt cylinders, that seems like such a brilliant idea... but I'm not sure how much practical benefit that gives.

So is there anything other than the transmission that makes the JD a lower end/entry level/etc tractor? Is it a build quality/reliability thing? (ie: Kia compared to Honda)

Thanks!:D