Comparison JD 2520 vs Kubota B2920

/ JD 2520 vs Kubota B2920 #1  

Dano97471

Tractor
Kubota B2920
Hello to the group, this is my first post. I will be pulling the trigger next week on a new tractor. I have done a lot of reading and comparing stats. It痴 down to two tractors?D 2520 and Kubota B2920. Both with FEL and BH.

I have ten acres, about 6 in gentle sloping pasture and 4 wooded. I will use the tractor for mowing (brush hog), tree removal, addition to the house, property landscaping.

Here are my concerns, I would appreciate any comments from the group?hanks

PTO - JD has 1 speed Independent , K has 2 a speed Live
HST - JD 2 range, K 3 range
Alternator - JD 40 amp, K add $186 for the 40 amp.
Tire size - JD has bigger tires
Weight - JD is 300 lbs heaver

BH - Both are similar. With the Kubota you can add a thumb, not an option with the JD.

JD is $24,00 more then the Kubota $22,700.

I can稚 say any one of the above is a deal killer except maybe the 2 vs. 3 range HST

/ JD 2520 vs Kubota B2920 #2  
You just couldn't go wrong with either one. In the end, it is likely going to come down to your preferences for:

Dealer
Operator ergonomics
Price difference

Best wishes,

/ JD 2520 vs Kubota B2920 #3  
Out of curiousity, wouldn't a more direct comparison be between the JD 2520 and the Kubota 2620? I suspect you would end up with a greater price difference that way.

The three range hydro on the kubota would be a big plus to me, as would the more integrated desighn of the Kubota backhoe. It tucked much tighter to the tractor and uses a single operator's seat that swivels.

I'd probably look at the substantial price difference between the 2520 and the (more comparable) 2620 as a couple free implements....... but that being said they are both (or all three) excellent tractors. Quality and comfort with the dealer you are working with should weigh in heavily on the purchase.

/ JD 2520 vs Kubota B2920
Thanks Ductape,

Up until yesterday I was comparing the JD 2520 to the B2620. From what I can tell the 2620 and the 2920 are the same with the exception of a few more HP (motor and PTO) on the 2920. The price difference between the two is $800 .

/ JD 2520 vs Kubota B2920 #5  
Up until yesterday I was comparing the JD 2520 to the B2620. From what I can tell the 2620 and the 2920 are the same with the exception of a few more HP (motor and PTO) on the 2920. The price difference between the two is $800 .

Yes, the 2620 and 2920 are identical except for the extra few HP.

/ JD 2520 vs Kubota B2920 #6  
Couple years after you buy the Kubota are the parts going to be available ? One of the best arguements for deere is one can get parts for tractors and equipment that is 20-30 years old. How about resale ? You never know when you have to sell or want a larger machine. I noticed with the foreign made components they tend to make specialized brearings / parts so you have to go to the dealer and buy them at a higher price. No one would aftermarket them due to the limited usage. These are several reasons I didn't consider a Kubota. Have fun with the pros / cons of each and may the best suitable machine give you years of service.

/ JD 2520 vs Kubota B2920 #7  
I don't think you will be kicking yourself either way you go. My preference is for the Kubota due to the 3-speed and brake location, but a lot of people prefer the brakes on the John Deere.

As to parts availability, that is trotted out all of the time. I have a friend who owns a construction company and he has had no troubles getting parts for really old Kubotas. He often buys a machine for one job and then resells it. Both machines are foreign made and Kubota is not exactly a new arrival who is going to go out of business and leave you high and dry.

My advice is to spend some time on both and you will know instinctively which one is the right one for you. Hopefully you have also looked at other brands as all of the top brands make really good tractors.

/ JD 2520 vs Kubota B2920 #8  
Couple years after you buy the Kubota are the parts going to be available ? One of the best arguements for deere is one can get parts for tractors and equipment that is 20-30 years old. How about resale ? You never know when you have to sell or want a larger machine. I noticed with the foreign made components they tend to make specialized brearings / parts so you have to go to the dealer and buy them at a higher price. No one would aftermarket them due to the limited usage. These are several reasons I didn't consider a Kubota. Have fun with the pros / cons of each and may the best suitable machine give you years of service.

Kubota was founded in 1890. John Deere in 1837. I think both of these brands will be around for a while and the parts still available for both.

/ JD 2520 vs Kubota B2920 #9  
Doing a recent comparison myself, these are some other things that come to mind:

The 2520 has position control, whereas the Kubota does not.

The 2520 also has independent control of the Mid-PTO and rear PTO, with the Kubota as I understand it you either get rear PTO or both mid and rear at the same time - hence the higher speed available for the rear PTO.

I liked the brakes being on the opposite side from the hydro pedals on the Deere.

I thought I would *hate* the Kubota treadle, but actually found it to be slightly easier than the side by side, but might have bothered someone with bad knees for extended periods.

/ JD 2520 vs Kubota B2920 #10  
Dano97471

I have been looking at both JD 2520 and Kubota B2620/2920. Both seem like good machines. The JD hst has forward/reverse pedals side by side, the Kubota has them at your toes and heal. The brakes are rarely used, but pedal location is different. Loader operation is similar - single joystick. In fairness, the JD 2520 is more similar to the Kubota B2620 from a horspower standpoint. I do not know were in the country you are located, but my comment is the price you were quoted for a B2920/loader/bushhog of $22K. I was quoted a cash price on 12/11/2010 of $18,484 for a B2920/loader/60"mmm/turf tires. Add $700 if you take the Kubota financing. The dealer is in north Knoxville, TN.