Comparison JD 920 vs MF 135

/ JD 920 vs MF 135 #1  

Jeep Guy

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 135; John Deere Lawn Tractor LA 145
Hi

I am looking around to getting an older tractor for property maintenance there are 2 identically priced options that I am considering. Have only had Fords previously, a 9N and an 8N but really would like to have a snow blower option so opting away from the Fords.

The first is a 1973 JD 920 with a loader approx, 3800 hrs from a JD dealer and the second is a Massey Fergusen 135 diesel with a snow blower, seller said it's rebuilt, replaced both clutches no idea on hrs. It is probably 1968-70's in terms of a manufacturing date.

Both are priced exactly the same...any thoughts on if you were to seriously look at these two, which you would prefer?

/ JD 920 vs MF 135 #2  
I myself like the MF135. Those are great tractors and easy to work on.

/ JD 920 vs MF 135 #3  
Hi

I am looking around to getting an older tractor for property maintenance there are 2 identically priced options that I am considering. Have only had Fords previously, a 9N and an 8N but really would like to have a snow blower option so opting away from the Fords.

The first is a 1973 JD 920 with a loader approx, 3800 hrs from a JD dealer and the second is a Massey Fergusen 135 diesel with a snow blower, seller said it's rebuilt, replaced both clutches no idea on hrs. It is probably 1968-70's in terms of a manufacturing date.

Both are priced exactly the same...any thoughts on if you were to seriously look at these two, which you would prefer?

I like either one at $4800 for tractor and attachment. Ken Sweet

/ JD 920 vs MF 135 #4  
The 135 for me

/ JD 920 vs MF 135 #5  
i think i'd go with the 135.. great support.

funny that you said you were ditching the fords due to needing a snow blower. there's nothing about the ford name that makes a snow blower magically not function. you just have to match up an ideal model with the blower to get the most bang for your buck.

soundguy

/ JD 920 vs MF 135
i think i'd go with the 135.. great support.

funny that you said you were ditching the fords due to needing a snow blower. there's nothing about the ford name that makes a snow blower magically not function. you just have to match up an ideal model with the blower to get the most bang for your buck.

soundguy

Thanks for your help, was moving away from the idea of getting a Ford again based on what I read for the pto hp and a snow blower not that I didn't think that one would work but more that if you have wet snow or in the case of where I am we tend to get a fair bit of freezing rain, most of the research I read seemed to have people say that a snow blade would be better than a snow blower for heavier, wetter snow on a 2,8 or 9N. I always liked my 8 and 9N's though I did find them a little hard to start at -20 degrees or below. Everything is hard to start at those temperatures but found with 6 volts you didn't get too many chances to crank it over.

I know that I could pick up a Ford and a snow blower less than the JD 920 or MF 135 but not dramatically less...I am kind of favouring the idea of a diesel motor as well, though never had a diesel before. The MF by what I have read are really fuel efficient

/ JD 920 vs MF 135 #7  
like I said.. correct model. and I wouldn't be looking at a N series.. i'd look at say.. an 861d.. lotsa hp.. diesel, good chance to have power steering, and has a live pto.

a 3000 with an 8spd would be up there in my mind too.

soundguy

/ JD 920 vs MF 135 #9  
Hi

I have a 1964 MF135 diesel deluxe with multipower. If the snowblower is important to you, looks like a no-brainer--go with the 135.

Just be sure to check it out thoroughly. There's a weep hole on the bottom of the clutch housing. Get a piece of wire or a small twist drill, ream out the crud in that hole and watch for any fluid flow. A few drops is normal; more that that could mean that the rear seal on the crankshaft is leaking. If so, be prepared to drop the oil pan, which on the 135 is a heavy casting that's part of the tractor's main support structure.

Also, check out the pto clutch to be sure it's operating OK.

If it has multipower, check both ranges thoroughly for proper operation in all gears.

/ JD 920 vs MF 135
I have a 1964 MF135 diesel deluxe with multipower. If the snowblower is important to you, looks like a no-brainer--go with the 135.

Just be sure to check it out thoroughly. There's a weep hole on the bottom of the clutch housing. Get a piece of wire or a small twist drill, ream out the crud in that hole and watch for any fluid flow. A few drops is normal; more that that could mean that the rear seal on the crankshaft is leaking. If so, be prepared to drop the oil pan, which on the 135 is a heavy casting that's part of the tractor's main support structure.

Also, check out the pto clutch to be sure it's operating OK.

If it has multipower, check both ranges thoroughly for proper operation in all gears.

That is all very useful information, thanks for that had read something on a MF site for the old 35/135's about the clutch housing, and great pointers for the pto as well. Would like a snowblower have about a 5-600 foot driveway and we can get winters with a lot of snow, from Canada. I am hoping that this is going to be a light year as I have decided to shovel by hand this first year at our new rural property, just get a local farmer here to throw the snow on or if we get some bad storms this season and get something in the spring. Generally we get all day medium storms more than really quick heavy down falls, keeping my fingers crossed.

JD's have a reputation but as I read more about the older European built tractors parts can be a bit of a nightmare to find.

Do like what I have read about the MF 135's enough power for my property maintenance, snow removal and very reliable almost bullet proof motors. Wonder what they are like for starting at temperatures like -20 degrees celcius/ 0 to -10 degrees farenheit?