Buying at auction

/ Buying at auction #11  
I like to attend..do look over etc.,hard to find goodies I'll take chance..knock on wood yet to be burnt.

Bidding,I tell the Mrs. also get the look,but when time to fetch the prize means road trip,and frown turn upside down..whew. ;)

/ Buying at auction #12  
I went to a few auctions but even the scrape metal dealers were paying more than I wanted to. First few times, I could not believe how many people show up to auctions....

EXCATLY ... the best marketing tool for anyone selling is the services of a licensed, experienced professional Auctioneer ... The internet auctions are great.... sight and unseen ... an onsite live auction is for price maximization... your right there to lay hands on.

/ Buying at auction #13  
I also had missed the "Richie Bros" post. I had always thought of large Dozers,Backhoes,Etc. I did not realize that smaller items were sold. They have built a new sales yard in Ohio that I will look into. Thanks.

/ Buying at auction #14  
Also love the auctions. Been to several onsite auctions and always visiting online auctions.....love em. Prefer the online auctions, got carried away only a few times, and ended up with a trailer load of "stuff".....been very fortunate thus far with all the equipment purchased.
And you're right....it is funny to watch the "bidding wars" and see stuff sell for way more than it's worth!

/ Buying at auction #16  
For Star Trek fans: These really should be several of the Ferengi Rules of Acquisition. :)

First Rule of an Auction: Know what the retail or wholesale price for the item is.

Second Rule: Know what your maximum spending limit is. (And what your balance is if buying several things during the course of the auction.)

Third Rule: Don't buy more than you know how to transport home.

Fourth Rule: When buying at a government auction, remember that they are worse than Repro guys at taking back stuff they've sold to you.

Fifth Rule: If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

/ Buying at auction #17  
Ken, doesn't Ebay charge outrageous listing fees?

Yes they do, We compensate for listing fees and commissions by listing a item higher that you would normally buy from us direct. A buyer will always buy for less dealing directly with us. However, there are many buyers that don't trust sellers and want the warm/fuzzy feeling of assurance of a good Ebay seller feedback and also the Ebay buyer protection plan to help in Fraud and misrepresented sales. Ken Sweet

/ Buying at auction #18  
LOL---I have to tell on myself here...Some years ago a neighbor of mine and I went to our first tractor & equipment auction together ..It was a cold and blustery day..and there were many folks there and a lot of tractors and attachments..anyway...we both knew the autioneer and had done business with him in the past since he also owned a used equipment company...we were each bidding on some piece of equipment and were right up front of the crowd just in front of him as he was in his chant calling the auction..when he nodded to me to bend over toward him and he whispered - quickly in my ear..you and your buddy are bidding against each other..LOL...We shut up after that ..we did not even realize we were doing that..I have not bid at an auction since..

Be careful with your emotions at an auction...glad he was a friend of ours..Lot of lessons learned that day.

/ Buying at auction #19  
I bought my MF205-4 at a farm auction back in 1997. The tractor was over 10 yrs old at the time, with 300 hrs on it. I probably paid a little more than I should have, as I had not done any research before the auction. I should have bought some of the attachments then, as they went for very little. The tractor has served me well, I used it all the time before I bought my first Kubota, then it sat for yrs with little usage. Now with my new kubota with the backhoe, I'm using the MF more for 3 pt jobs.

/ Buying at auction #20  
I saw those JCB backhoe loaders. They were great! Would have bought one but someone wanted me to work that day. :licking: Darn clients! Always getting in the way of my toy feddish.