Buying at auction

/ Buying at auction #1  

Kernopelli

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mitsubishi MTE2000D, Dig It 258 Mini Ex, Deere Z930A ZTR
Anyone buy at auction? I can't resist the Internet auctions. Government, eBay, Iron Planet, etc. Uship makes it pretty painless to to get things where they need to go. Today is Iron Planets last sale of 2010 and I just happen to have all day to watch for a deal....I've been jumping back and forth between TBN and the auction. A perfect day. The BOSS hates this stuff but she never complains when I convert it to cash so she tolerates my bad habits to a small degree. Watching these auctions, especially the live ones are fun and a great way to get a feel for what's going on...and a good way to see how to not get caught up in emotional bidding or bidding wars. Hard lessons! I watched one JCB mini hoe go for $15,750 while an identical one w/ less hrs. at the same location sold for $12,000 at the same time. Had to be two guys fixated on the same machine and neither was going to give while the other one went with less than half the number of bids....very entertaining! You can always see the war unfolding too...wait for last second of the last call ....then wham! Bid it up. A few new tractors today, mostly NOS Montanas. A Montana R2844 w FEL, 8 hrs just sold for $9500US up in Alberta so someone got a deal. A 2 WD 3792 w/11 hr in MO sold for $5500....cheap work horse. New Montana 3820i w/fel for $11,500....9hr Montana L4794 4WD FEL-$9500 in MO and a 56Hr C6862 2WD in IA for $5500... I'm dying here. The BOSS caught me signing in to my bid page and did her Linda Blair head spin/intervention and said there will be no more purchase/sales in 2010!

Fine. There's an auction Jan 6. :dance1:

/ Buying at auction #2  
Nope, only auctions are one I physically attend and can do a touchy feely on what I am considering buying.

Roy

/ Buying at auction #3  
Anyone buy at auction? I can't resist the Internet auctions. Government, eBay, Iron Planet, etc. Uship makes it pretty painless to to get things where they need to go. Today is Iron Planets last sale of 2010 and I just happen to have all day to watch for a deal....I've been jumping back and forth between TBN and the auction. A perfect day. The BOSS hates this stuff but she never complains when I convert it to cash so she tolerates my bad habits to a small degree. Watching these auctions, especially the live ones are fun and a great way to get a feel for what's going on...and a good way to see how to not get caught up in emotional bidding or bidding wars. Hard lessons! I watched one JCB mini hoe go for $15,750 while an identical one w/ less hrs. at the same location sold for $12,000 at the same time. Had to be two guys fixated on the same machine and neither was going to give while the other one went with less than half the number of bids....very entertaining! You can always see the war unfolding too...wait for last second of the last call ....then wham! Bid it up. A few new tractors today, mostly NOS Montanas. A Montana R2844 w FEL, 8 hrs just sold for $9500US up in Alberta so someone got a deal. A 2 WD 3792 w/11 hr in MO sold for $5500....cheap work horse. New Montana 3820i w/fel for $11,500....9hr Montana L4794 4WD FEL-$9500 in MO and a 56Hr C6862 2WD in IA for $5500... I'm dying here. The BOSS caught me signing in to my bid page and did her Linda Blair head spin/intervention and said there will be no more purchase/sales in 2010!

Fine. There's an auction Jan 6. :dance1:

If you like online auctions, checkout our Ebay Store here Sweetfarmequipment items - Get great deals on New Disc Mower Parts, Machinery items on eBay Stores! Ken Sweet

/ Buying at auction #4  
Auctions can be really great or-. Grandmother got me started around 10 years old. There is nothing like a good deal on something. Sometimes it is such agood deal that it sits around for several years before you resell it. I would not consider myself a gambler at all ;but always finding myself taking chances on equipment at auctions. Cold weather will be slowing things down Jan-March. This will actually help the sellers according to an auctioneer friend. He claims things often bring 20% more due to the increased bidding wars and lack of auctions to attend. The only thing I miss on line is the people watching.

/ Buying at auction #5  
Anyone buy at auction? I can't resist the Internet auctions.

I did last month and posted about it here:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/188063-my-ritchie-bros-haul-pics.html

I thought I did pretty good and even posted some pics of the stuff I got. Not a lot interest on the forum about it -- only one comment. I assumed everybody thought I was selling "Ritchie Bros" because I described the whole process. Then again, maybe it just happened to be much more interesting to me because I had just doubled my number of implements in one day.:)

/ Buying at auction #6  
...Not a lot interest on the forum...
Sometimes it hit or miss... I missed your post the first time around :D.

I went to a few auctions but even the scrape metal dealers were paying more than I wanted to. First few times, I could not believe how many people show up to auctions....

/ Buying at auction #7  
Sometimes it hit or miss... I missed your post the first time around :D.

I went to a few auctions but even the scrape metal dealers were paying more than I wanted to. First few times, I could not believe how many people show up to auctions....

Same way here, With auction attendance so high, it is really hard to find a bargain these days. I see a lot of equipment sell at auction for more than I get for it after I bring it in and rebuild it. Go Figure :) Ken Sweet

/ Buying at auction #8  
I've noticed the bid wars too and have to laugh when things go for waaaayyyy more then they should, I quess some folks just don't get it.

/ Buying at auction
Same way here, With auction attendance so high, it is really hard to find a bargain these days. I see a lot of equipment sell at auction for more than I get for it after I bring it in and rebuild it. Go Figure :) Ken Sweet

True, I quit going to local auctions for years for the same reasons mentioned. I did start going again last year and have made some great purchases. It is certainly hit and miss though. Some times I feel sorry for the seller and others I think they must be putting meth in the concession food to induce such manic bidding.

BTW: I do frequent look through your ebay store....love that ebay!

/ Buying at auction #10  
I've noticed the bid wars too and have to laugh when things go for waaaayyyy more then they should, I quess some folks just don't get it.

I'm glad someone mentioned this. I have been reading the Lancaster Farming news, and watching some on-line auctions, and just looking for deals. I figured the economy is supposed to be way down in the proverbial hole. and yet the only real deal I got in the last two years, was a like new 22,magnum stainless, with a case, and ammo for $80. I see people all the time buying used skid steers at the auctions for way more than you can get them at a dealer. I would add, that I am not one of those guys, who won't buy it, unless it is two for a nickel. I wonder if things are as bad as the "Gubment" says.:mad: