Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27
  1. #1
    Veteran Member Kernopelli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,733
    Location
    Carterville, Illinois
    Tractor
    Mitsubishi MTE2000D, Dig It 258 Backhoe

    Default Buying at auction

    Anyone buy at auction? I can't resist the Internet auctions. Government, eBay, Iron Planet, etc. Uship makes it pretty painless to to get things where they need to go. Today is Iron Planets last sale of 2010 and I just happen to have all day to watch for a deal....I've been jumping back and forth between TBN and the auction. A perfect day. The BOSS hates this stuff but she never complains when I convert it to cash so she tolerates my bad habits to a small degree. Watching these auctions, especially the live ones are fun and a great way to get a feel for what's going on...and a good way to see how to not get caught up in emotional bidding or bidding wars. Hard lessons! I watched one JCB mini hoe go for $15,750 while an identical one w/ less hrs. at the same location sold for $12,000 at the same time. Had to be two guys fixated on the same machine and neither was going to give while the other one went with less than half the number of bids....very entertaining! You can always see the war unfolding too...wait for last second of the last call ....then wham! Bid it up. A few new tractors today, mostly NOS Montanas. A Montana R2844 w FEL, 8 hrs just sold for $9500US up in Alberta so someone got a deal. A 2 WD 3792 w/11 hr in MO sold for $5500....cheap work horse. New Montana 3820i w/fel for $11,500....9hr Montana L4794 4WD FEL-$9500 in MO and a 56Hr C6862 2WD in IA for $5500... I'm dying here. The BOSS caught me signing in to my bid page and did her Linda Blair head spin/intervention and said there will be no more purchase/sales in 2010!

    Fine. There's an auction Jan 6.
    Darryl

  2. #2
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,634
    Location
    Northern, IL
    Tractor
    Branson 2400H

    Default Re: Buying at auction

    Nope, only auctions are one I physically attend and can do a touchy feely on what I am considering buying.

    Roy
    Artificial Intelligence will never overcome natural stupidity.

    Branson 2400H MMM & FEL

    JD 112

    BX1850 gone but not forgotten

  3. #3
    Advertiser sweettractors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    7,205
    Location
    Central Kentucky
    Tractor
    JD 6403 CHA-JD 3130 CHA

    Default Re: Buying at auction

    Quote Originally Posted by Kernopelli View Post
    Anyone buy at auction? I can't resist the Internet auctions. Government, eBay, Iron Planet, etc. Uship makes it pretty painless to to get things where they need to go. Today is Iron Planets last sale of 2010 and I just happen to have all day to watch for a deal....I've been jumping back and forth between TBN and the auction. A perfect day. The BOSS hates this stuff but she never complains when I convert it to cash so she tolerates my bad habits to a small degree. Watching these auctions, especially the live ones are fun and a great way to get a feel for what's going on...and a good way to see how to not get caught up in emotional bidding or bidding wars. Hard lessons! I watched one JCB mini hoe go for $15,750 while an identical one w/ less hrs. at the same location sold for $12,000 at the same time. Had to be two guys fixated on the same machine and neither was going to give while the other one went with less than half the number of bids....very entertaining! You can always see the war unfolding too...wait for last second of the last call ....then wham! Bid it up. A few new tractors today, mostly NOS Montanas. A Montana R2844 w FEL, 8 hrs just sold for $9500US up in Alberta so someone got a deal. A 2 WD 3792 w/11 hr in MO sold for $5500....cheap work horse. New Montana 3820i w/fel for $11,500....9hr Montana L4794 4WD FEL-$9500 in MO and a 56Hr C6862 2WD in IA for $5500... I'm dying here. The BOSS caught me signing in to my bid page and did her Linda Blair head spin/intervention and said there will be no more purchase/sales in 2010!

    Fine. There's an auction Jan 6.

    If you like online auctions, checkout our Ebay Store here Sweetfarmequipment items - Get great deals on New Disc Mower Parts, Machinery items on eBay Stores! Ken Sweet
    http://www.sweetfarms.com/

    Sweet Farm Equipment LLC (Internet Sales, Shipping All States)
    Shipping Facility
    1815 Defries Rd., Canmer, Ky 42722 Toll Free 1-866-528-3323
    Ken Sweet sweet@scrtc.com

    Shipping Example: Can ship 800 lbs from Ky. to Dallas for $165
    The Northeast shipping corridor is a little more expensive.

  4. #4
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,297

    Default Re: Buying at auction

    Auctions can be really great or-. Grandmother got me started around 10 years old. There is nothing like a good deal on something. Sometimes it is such agood deal that it sits around for several years before you resell it. I would not consider myself a gambler at all ;but always finding myself taking chances on equipment at auctions. Cold weather will be slowing things down Jan-March. This will actually help the sellers according to an auctioneer friend. He claims things often bring 20% more due to the increased bidding wars and lack of auctions to attend. The only thing I miss on line is the people watching.

  5. #5
    Gold Member LittleBlueTractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    435
    Location
    Houston
    Tractor
    LS S3010

    Default Re: Buying at auction

    Quote Originally Posted by Kernopelli View Post
    Anyone buy at auction? I can't resist the Internet auctions.
    I did last month and posted about it here:

    http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/a...haul-pics.html

    I thought I did pretty good and even posted some pics of the stuff I got. Not a lot interest on the forum about it -- only one comment. I assumed everybody thought I was selling "Ritchie Bros" because I described the whole process. Then again, maybe it just happened to be much more interesting to me because I had just doubled my number of implements in one day.
    Lil' Blue
    ------------------
    LS Tractor S3010 w/FEL
    Ag-Meier Mohawk Brave 5' cutter
    Armstrong Ag BB05-Std 5' Box Blade
    TSC CountyLine Middle Buster
    WildKat 48" Single Cyl Grapple
    Versatech 42" Pallet Forks
    A "no name" Stump Bucket that works really well

  6. #6
    Elite Member teg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    4,035
    Location
    Raleigh, NC Hillsville, VA
    Tractor
    L2800.

    Default Re: Buying at auction

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBlueTractor View Post
    ...Not a lot interest on the forum...
    Sometimes it hit or miss... I missed your post the first time around .

    I went to a few auctions but even the scrape metal dealers were paying more than I wanted to. First few times, I could not believe how many people show up to auctions....

  7. #7
    Advertiser sweettractors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    7,205
    Location
    Central Kentucky
    Tractor
    JD 6403 CHA-JD 3130 CHA

    Default Re: Buying at auction

    Quote Originally Posted by teg View Post
    Sometimes it hit or miss... I missed your post the first time around .

    I went to a few auctions but even the scrape metal dealers were paying more than I wanted to. First few times, I could not believe how many people show up to auctions....
    Same way here, With auction attendance so high, it is really hard to find a bargain these days. I see a lot of equipment sell at auction for more than I get for it after I bring it in and rebuild it. Go Figure Ken Sweet
    http://www.sweetfarms.com/

    Sweet Farm Equipment LLC (Internet Sales, Shipping All States)
    Shipping Facility
    1815 Defries Rd., Canmer, Ky 42722 Toll Free 1-866-528-3323
    Ken Sweet sweet@scrtc.com

    Shipping Example: Can ship 800 lbs from Ky. to Dallas for $165
    The Northeast shipping corridor is a little more expensive.

  8. #8
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,202
    Location
    adirondacks

    Default Re: Buying at auction

    I've noticed the bid wars too and have to laugh when things go for waaaayyyy more then they should, I quess some folks just don't get it.

  9. #9
    Veteran Member Kernopelli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,733
    Location
    Carterville, Illinois
    Tractor
    Mitsubishi MTE2000D, Dig It 258 Backhoe

    Default Re: Buying at auction

    Quote Originally Posted by sweettractors View Post
    Same way here, With auction attendance so high, it is really hard to find a bargain these days. I see a lot of equipment sell at auction for more than I get for it after I bring it in and rebuild it. Go Figure Ken Sweet
    True, I quit going to local auctions for years for the same reasons mentioned. I did start going again last year and have made some great purchases. It is certainly hit and miss though. Some times I feel sorry for the seller and others I think they must be putting meth in the concession food to induce such manic bidding.

    BTW: I do frequent look through your ebay store....love that ebay!
    Darryl

  10. #10
    Gold Member davygp38's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    478
    Location
    where NY,NJ, and PA all meet
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

    Default Re: Buying at auction

    Quote Originally Posted by 20 20 View Post
    I've noticed the bid wars too and have to laugh when things go for waaaayyyy more then they should, I quess some folks just don't get it.
    I'm glad someone mentioned this. I have been reading the Lancaster Farming news, and watching some on-line auctions, and just looking for deals. I figured the economy is supposed to be way down in the proverbial hole. and yet the only real deal I got in the last two years, was a like new 22,magnum stainless, with a case, and ammo for $80. I see people all the time buying used skid steers at the auctions for way more than you can get them at a dealer. I would add, that I am not one of those guys, who won't buy it, unless it is two for a nickel. I wonder if things are as bad as the "Gubment" says.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. :) New TBN Jacket now up for auction for charity
    By tallyho8 in forum Rural Living
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 08-05-2010, 11:20 AM
  2. Buying a Massey 1531 TLB
    By 3dayfunk in forum Massey Ferguson Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-13-2009, 12:42 PM
  3. Buying a 1531 TLB
    By 3dayfunk in forum Buying/Pricing/Comparisons
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-30-2009, 11:09 PM
  4. BUYING USED EQUIPMENT AT AUCTION
    By NATTYBUMPO in forum Attachments
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-28-2003, 12:15 AM
  5. Buying Vehicles Below Invoice
    By dmccarty in forum Rural Living
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-06-2001, 06:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.