12999$ for a ZTR--insane

/ 12999$ for a ZTR--insane #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
I was at the honda shop grabbing some parts for a pull start gas motor and saw a few ZTR's.. the most expensive one was 12999$... they must be on crack!

You could buy a decent new small tractor ( i.e. tc 18, etc )from one of the 'big 3' and the best finish mower or MMM out there, and walk away with cash in hand....

yikes...

darn expensive dedicated grass cutters...

Soundguy

/ 12999$ for a ZTR--insane #2  
I've never used a ZTR myself.

My neighbor has one and he flies around the yard with it.

My guess is that, if you're in the lawnmowing business, the ZTR may be more profitable than a tractor simply because it appears to accomplish the job much faster.

/ 12999$ for a ZTR--insane #3  
You are right. Unless you want to do other things with your lawnmower what good is a tractor if all you do is mow? A ZTR will out mow any tractor on the market and give you a better cut. I have been considering a Grasshopper and they have different models ranging from $6k to $11k. I also looked at a TC 18 and 21 and they are more clumsy for mowing. And since I really have no use for a tractor that small around the farm what good would it be? The Grasshopper is great because it is fast and built to do a couple things great where as the TC and all tractors in General are built to do a lot of things good but really none of them great. Tractors have their purpose as the ZTRs and it comes down to what you will use the machine for. I know there are guys on this board who only use their tractors for mowing. A ZTR would take a lot less room in their garage and cut their yard a lot faster but they would loose the option of being able to use a loader if they eventually wanted to so I know where they are coming from. In a perfect world everyone would own a tractor and a ZTR. They are a lot of fun though.

/ 12999$ for a ZTR--insane #4  
A ZTR and CUT is a great combination. I have a Bobcat brand and I really like it. I have heard the Dixie Chopper are now big sellers because they can mow faster than anything else on the market. Don't know if that is true, it could be a marketing ploy. I suggest buying whatever your favorite dealer has on the lot. I think a reliable dealer is half the deal. And yes they are lots of fun to drive.

/ 12999$ for a ZTR--insane #5  
Checking on a lawn forum the other day the most preferred ZTR seemed to be skag, then exmark. Kubota was praised as the best but way too expensive. The commercial ZTR's cut at 7-10 mph. If I had a lot of grass to cut with a lot of things to go around I'd get one in a heartbeat. Seems like you can get one for residential use for about 6-7K

/ 12999$ for a ZTR--insane #6  
I guess it all depends on what you are going to use your equipment for. I know the neighboring farmer got quite a kick out of the fact i have $13,000 tied up in my BX. He pointed out that he had just bought a used JD 4230 for less. I don't think the 4230 would work at mowing my yard, though!!

/ 12999$ for a ZTR--insane #7  
Still....

When I was shopping for a tractor this summer, a BX22 would have been sold to me for $16,000 with a MMM.

That is a tractor...loader...backhoe...AND grass cutter!

But like other's have said, it won't cut as fast or maybe as good as a ZTR.

But still...be hard for me to take a ZTR for $3,000 less than a BX22.

Just could not do it...nope...no way...

Bill in Pgh, PA

/ 12999$ for a ZTR--insane #8  
How does a Walker, which appears to be a very fine piece of Equipment, stack up?

/ 12999$ for a ZTR--insane #9  
It wouldn't be where I'd spend $13K on equipment for my property, but if my business were strictly cutting grass I think I'd prefer one. I just had dinner tonight with some young farmers who live around here and one of them just bought a used 100-150HP eight wheeled tractor for $5,000. I'm sure the idea of spending what I spent on a 27 HP CUT would seem just as foreign to them. To any of them, if you mow you use at least a 15' batwing mower. They tease me about my tractor being something they could use to trim. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ 12999$ for a ZTR--insane #10  
an exmark diesel is around $14,000.00 and Mrs. xyz customer still expect you to cut the lawn, like their paper boy did, for $25.00 an acre. but we better have an insurance certificate drooped off, before we get that cushy, highly paid lawn job.

the service has to be performed on Friday afternoon, while she is at the beauty parlor, paying the little guy in the tight pants a tip of $20.00 to $30.00, for a service of around $30.00. he swishes so nicely around the salon and is so agreeable.