Help to determine HP needed

/ Help to determine HP needed #1  

rmaa

We are looking to purchase a new tractor and are getting conflicting advise from dealers on what the best size tractor is for the job we need it for.

We have 30+ acres, though only about 15-20 of it is cleared. So far we have only been able to bush hog it once a year by borrowing my parent's tractor, so saplings do rapidly appear. Once we get our own tractor we will be able to keep it down to pasture quality and no saplings growing. So the main function of the tractor will be for bush hogging the 15 acres until our horse population slowly expands, after which the uses will turn to some bush hogging and dragging fields. Other uses, though not as frequent as bush hogging, will be drilling holes for fence, moving dirt with box blade and minor use of the FEL.

The land is kind of hilly, (rolling :eek:) and the soil is mixed, with some parts clay, some gravel, some rocky, and regular topsoil, depending on what part of the land you are on. Not really any significant snow around here, so not worried about that.

The bush hog we will get after we get the tractor since its size will be determined by the HP, though we were thinking a 5 foot bush hog will be fine. Same for the box blade.

Hmm, any other details needed for giving advise? From the dealers, we got advise as low as 25 HP and as high as minimum 40 HP :confused2: Obviously we don't want to get too little and wish we had more, but would hate to have a bigger tractor than we really need. Ideally we would like to spend under $25K for the tractor and FEL. The tractors we are looking at and have dealers in our area for are Kubota, Massey Ferguson, New Holland, and maybe JD.

Thanks in advance :)

/ Help to determine HP needed #2  
Welcome to TBN.

I run a 5' brush hog on 25 hp with no problem. Lots of people say to not get less than 35 hp, but I think 25 is good for that.

/ Help to determine HP needed #3  
As has been said on here many times, a smaller tractor will often do it, it will just take longer. I am sure it can be done with a 25 HP machine, but that sure would not be my choice. I wouldn't want to go under a 35 HP myself and really like something in the 50 HP range as they are not really all that much bigger physically and have more capability. I like a good strong FEL and a little bit of weight which is hard to come by on a smaller tractor.

Now I am talking about ideal conditions and have done what you contemplate with an old Ford NAA, so you should be able to get something capable in your price range from any of the dealers in your area; all make good equipment. While my preference is Kubota, Kioti/Bobcat seem to be offering some good tractors for a really reasonable price; check them ALL out to see which fits you and your budget best and good luck.

/ Help to determine HP needed #4  
with 5 foot implements we always sale either a 30 or 35 hp tractor. if you are gonna have a FEL, 4x4 works a lot better than a 2wd tractor that is small. that is just what we see and sale aroudn here (texas)

/ Help to determine HP needed #5  
We are looking to purchase a new tractor and are getting conflicting advise from dealers on what the best size tractor is for the job we need it for.

We have 30+ acres, though only about 15-20 of it is cleared. So far we have only been able to bush hog it once a year by borrowing my parent's tractor, so saplings do rapidly appear. Once we get our own tractor we will be able to keep it down to pasture quality and no saplings growing. So the main function of the tractor will be for bush hogging the 15 acres until our horse population slowly expands, after which the uses will turn to some bush hogging and dragging fields. Other uses, though not as frequent as bush hogging, will be drilling holes for fence, moving dirt with box blade and minor use of the FEL.

The land is kind of hilly, (rolling :eek:) and the soil is mixed, with some parts clay, some gravel, some rocky, and regular topsoil, depending on what part of the land you are on. Not really any significant snow around here, so not worried about that.

The bush hog we will get after we get the tractor since its size will be determined by the HP, though we were thinking a 5 foot bush hog will be fine. Same for the box blade.

Hmm, any other details needed for giving advise? From the dealers, we got advise as low as 25 HP and as high as minimum 40 HP :confused2: Obviously we don't want to get too little and wish we had more, but would hate to have a bigger tractor than we really need. Ideally we would like to spend under $25K for the tractor and FEL. The tractors we are looking at and have dealers in our area for are Kubota, Massey Ferguson, New Holland, and maybe JD.

Thanks in advance :)

The problem is the amount of ground you have and potential needs in the future. Also size is not a horsepower and horsepower is not a size. Tractor weight and footprint is the actual size and is something you should be looking at also. A 100 pound difference in models is not a big deal but you can see as much as a 1500 pound difference in the same horsepower. If a 5 foot field mower is big enough for you than a 25 horsepower compact (not sub compact) would be fine. But that is a lot of ground to mow with a 5' mower. If you wanted to go up to a 6' then 35 to 40 horse utility size (not compact) would work better. For 25K out the door you should easily be able to buy a 40 horsepower tractor with loader and 6' mower. This is a tool and the more capable the tool the easier the job.

Nice part about a utility sized tractor in a farm environment is you have a tractor that is small enough to fit in the tight spots and isn稚 intimidating to drive but is really big enough to farm with. Plus with the extra lead in your pencil you can pick things up that a compact or sub compact might lift but is on the edge of calamity at every bump in the field.

In Deere the 4000 series, New Holland 3000 series Boomers, Massey I really like the 2600 series for farm/horse operations, nice and heavy and simple.

Buck

/ Help to determine HP needed #6  
Horse power is not the total answer,you also need weight for ground engagement work.
example:have used a Kubota B7800 30 hp ,four cylinder maybe 2800lb
owned a L3130 31hp, three cylinder about 3800lb
owned now L4240 44hp four cylinder about 6500lbs
The L3130 would do most of the work of the L4240(FEL capacity much greater)
I quote Kubotas because that is what I am familar with.
The L3130 was replaced by the L3240.I believe the L3240 would do all the work you require with five fooot implements.
All of the major manufactorers have tractors in this class.

/ Help to determine HP needed #7  
Without being to specific could you supply the general location ,state or province. Snow fall and length of drive. Possible condition of the unusable parts, trees, ponds. New and now for the hard part, how much are you willing to spend. If you purchase wisely you will have the tractor for many many years.
Craig Clayton

/ Help to determine HP needed
Also size is not a horsepower and horsepower is not a size. Tractor weight and footprint is the actual size and is something you should be looking at also.

You are right, I should have been more specific with my question, though many of you gave me what I was looking for. We did notice when we looked at the kubota the difference in size between a 32 HP and the 34HP when you changed the series, and we are thinking along the lines of the large "footprint".

For 25K out the door you should easily be able to buy a 40 horsepower tractor with loader and 6' mower. This is a tool and the more capable the tool the easier the job.

Really? :confused: When we stopped by the Kubota/MF dealer this past spring, we were quoted in the low $20's for the MF1533 and the L3400 with loader (no mower). You think we could find 40 HP plus the mower for $25 brand new? We are looking to go new because we have some of the money to put down for down payment, and then many dealers have the 0% financing for a certain amount of time, which I like the idea of not having to pay interest. We have issues buying used in the past for other items and would like to know what we are getting when we buy and not guessing if the previous owner abused it... Personal preference I guess.....

In Deere the 4000 series, New Holland 3000 series Boomers, Massey I really like the 2600 series for farm/horse operations, nice and heavy and simple.

Thanks for that list, I will ask about those (next week we go scouting).

Without being to specific could you supply the general location ,state or province. Snow fall and length of drive. Possible condition of the unusable parts, trees, ponds. New and now for the hard part, how much are you willing to spend.

Well, my original post had many of the answers, but the area is central NC, like in the Raleigh area. So the snow fall is almost nothing, maybe 6 inches for the whole year, nothing a bucket couldn't handle easily or a cheap scrape blade. If we get more than that, we will just wait it out because county streets will not likely be cleared either. I am not sure why you want to know the "unusable" parts, but they are trees, no ponds. They will stay that way for hunting. I already mentioned we would like to stay under $25K. If we really need something more expensive, we will wait to save more money.

If you purchase wisely you will have the tractor for many many years.

This is the idea :cool:

/ Help to determine HP needed #9  
You mentioned trees...I bush hog 22 Acres and I have trees so I use my 29 HP NH TC -29 with a 5' bush hog and it handles it just fine as long as I don't let the pastures get to high..then it is slow going. I don't use my JD 3020 with 6' bush hog since it sits too high to get under the trees....As long as you cut when the growth is only a foot or two high and it isn't real thick fescue or bermuda grass you will be fine with 25 to 30 HP .and if it is just little saplings and weeds you can let it get higher and still be fine but you will always have weeds. The idea is to cut the weeds down before they go to seed and then you won't have to use chemicals..Hope this helps.

/ Help to determine HP needed
if you are gonna have a FEL, 4x4 works a lot better than a 2wd tractor that is small.

Knew I was going to forget something :eek: Definitely 4x4 because when we get a lot of rain, the 4x4 will come in handy!