Opinions on Cub Cadet?

/ Opinions on Cub Cadet? #1  

mathey

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC33D
I'm looking to get opinions good or bad on Cub Cadet 72XX and 73XX series compact tractors. There seem to be quite a few in this area used with low hours, well equipped and well priced. My "green" friend/tractor advisor says that alone says it all. It scares me that they are/were made by MTD, which has a not so good reputation. Any input is appreciated!

/ Opinions on Cub Cadet? #2  
I own a 1999 Cub 7360 and I think it is a great tractor. The tractor has a Mitsubishi 4-cyl. diesel. I bought mine over the internet, used (90 hrs.), from a JD dealer in Alabama. I got a much better price than I could do locally even with the shipping.

I have heard nothing but good things about the 73xx Cub's. They are as tough and reliable as any of the big three and in some cases even better specs (mine has 50% better 3pt lift capacity than a comparable from the the big 3). The biggest problem is that Cub Cadet has never marketed their CUTs to any great extent. Instead, they focus on the lawn tractors. But many landscapers in the northeast use Cub's.

I have not heard as good press on the 72xx series. These are new models to compete with the BX for the large lot/small estate market. I have heard that they are not nearly as rugged and many have a gas motor instead of the diesel.

But, I would not hesitate to recommend a 7300 Cub. Mine has done everything I have asked.

/ Opinions on Cub Cadet? #3  
The Mitsubishi Cub Cadets have a excellent reputation but not all 7000 series
Cub Cadets are Mitsubishi...

MTD has added three new models this year. I don't know by whom or where
they are made. Except for color they don't appear to have much in common
with the Mitsubishi Cub Cadets.

/ Opinions on Cub Cadet? #4  
don't rally know that much about them, but when i was looking 2 years ago i checked them out. it may be a fine tractor but i thought the price was way high, that just could have been the dealer, so i never did any further checking.

/ Opinions on Cub Cadet? #5  
My neighbor has a 7260 cub with around 700 hrs. and has not had any major problems. Cubs may be lacking a little in ergonomics compared to the big three and the loader performance seemed to be a tad bit slower than the kubotas and deeres that I have run. Just my opinion! All in all, I think they are a well built tractor.

winchman

/ Opinions on Cub Cadet? #6  
MTD seems to have "streamlined" their manufacturing process on everything they have bought out. Not necessarily for the better. I probably need to find my TroyBilt tiller a new home even though it was made before MTD came in. Just my opinion of MTD. Ted

/ Opinions on Cub Cadet? #7  
I believe the new ones have Kawasaki engines. Don't know of their reputation though...

/ Opinions on Cub Cadet? #8  
I'm with Rozette. Great tractor, but stick to the 7360's. I have a 2000. Got it used earlier this summer with about 28 hours on it and have about 52 now. I love it. I got the 66" bucket and 72" finish mower (both made by Woods from what I understand) and Ag tires. I got a great price too. The whole package was a little over $17k. Still had the entire factory warranty left too.

No hydro tranny on the 7360, but the shuttle is nice. I always liked shifting, so it doesn't bother me.

I haven't done a lot of really heavy work with it: mowing, digging out multifloral rose, rototilling and moving dirt around. Can't complain. It's been a dream so far. The 4wd and rear diff lock laughs at the mud on the hill behind my house. Filters are a bit pricey, but who's aren't?

I saw one on eBay a few weeks ago, but it didn't sell. Really low hours with loader in FL. I guess $13k+ wasn't hitting the reserve... I really wonder what he wanted.

Don't knock the yellow.

- G

/ Opinions on Cub Cadet? #9  
I have a 1998 7260 with about 450 hours. This is a Mitsubishi tractor. My implements include a CC 408 backhoe, a 4 inch Bolens PTO powered chipper, and a 7 foot grader blade. It has a Koyker 150 loader with a 5 foot bucket. All 4 R4 tires are loaded.

My tractor has been trouble free. I use it pretty hard, and I have no complaints. I read this forum regularly, and read about the problems owners of other brands have. Read the CC forum. Very few reported problems. I will allow that there are not as many CC owners on this forum as ones of the other brands, so take that into consideration...

I looked at all the brands before I bought. I liked the CC better than the rest, the specs were as good as any and better than most. In my area, the re-sale value is comparable to any of the others. I suggest you take a look at the ones in your area, and compare them to some of the other brands. Let us know what you decide to do. Enjoy the search, and good luck! Oh, one more thing.... be sure to check out the dealers for whatever brand you decide to buy. This is as important as the tractor purchase itself. A good dealer is worth a lot!

Corm

/ Opinions on Cub Cadet? #10  
Just found my Cub Cadet 7000 series literature. The three new models are as follows...

7252, 20 hp, 2 cyl Kawasaki gas engines, 2WD, HST

7254, 20 hp, 2 cyl Kawasaki gas engines, 4WD, HST

7264, 21 hp, 3 cyl Dahatsu Diesel engines, 4WD, HST.

The entire body appears to be plastic or fiber glass, not
sure which. Definately nothing like the Mitsubish Cub Cadets.

It's a nice looking tractor, see picture attachment...

Attachments

• 46-211157-CubCadet.jpg
    46-211157-CubCadet.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 858