Buying a Tractor..Need advice?

/ Buying a Tractor..Need advice? #1  

sirrobinhood

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti DK55
Hello all,
Been a lurker for awhile...Nice site!
I am looking at buying a tractor for use around the farm.
Using it for foodplots, moving some stone, lifting deer up, cutting wood Ect...
Anyway I am looking for something below 7000K..
What is considered "high usage" on a tractor?
What would be your max hours you would consider in a tractor?
I see some 1950-60 models that have 3000+ hours on them..Would you consider this a high risk in a tractor even if it runs good?
One more question..Gas tractors...Besides them not being as powerful as a diesel..What would you consider them as a high usage tractor?
Thanks for the advice!

/ Buying a Tractor..Need advice? #2  
There have been some threads on hours fairly recently. We have three gas Ford 600 Series, one we bought new and used it to farm. I don't even know the hours, but they are well over 3000.

We only buy diesels now, but there are a lot of good used gas models out there. On our hill farms we use 4WD and in the flat-lands 2WD. I have any used tractor checked by a mechanic before buying and my last one had all the service and repair paperwork.

/ Buying a Tractor..Need advice? #3  
Hello all,
I see some 1950-60 models that have 3000+ hours on them..Would you consider this a high risk in a tractor even if it runs good?
One more question..Gas tractors...Besides them not being as powerful as a diesel..What would you consider them as a high usage tractor?
Thanks for the advice!

Engine, tranny, clutch, hydraulics--all of these need to be considered when buying 50-60 year old tractors. You may get lucky and find one in good running order that only needs normal maintenance (fluids, filters). Or you may get a lemon (low compression, engine leaks, clutch problems, transmission shifting problems, hydraulics problems). A 50 year old diesel probably will need the injection pump rebuilt or replaced if it hasn't been so already. These pumps are pricey ($500-1000 rebuilt).

Max hours: 3000. That said, the 1964 Massey Ferguson diesel that I bought in Jul06 for $3600 had 4600 hours--but the engine had been rebuilt at 3000 hours. It ran OK for several years, but now has an engine leak and the 2-stage clutch needs to be rebuilt. The tractor needs to be split to get to the clutch--not too difficult if you have a few simple tools.

Price: I assume you mean $7K, not $7000K. You can find Fords, Farmalls, MFs in this price range.

/ Buying a Tractor..Need advice?
OK thanks for the input!
I was thinking of maybe spending a little more money up front and get a newer one.
I was looking at a 1999 MF. It has 500 hours on it. It will be about 8K.
This was my gut feeling, getting a tract that old.
I dont want to get into always having to repair it before I use it thing!

/ Buying a Tractor..Need advice? #5  
gas vs diesel.. a hp is a hp.. in general though.. diesels are a lil more torque-y.. and once you get over about 50hp on a gasser.. it's gonna get expensive.

if you find a nice running antique or classic that has been well maintained you should be good to go.

models I'd look for are fords in the 55-75 range...

if in the 55-62 range.. look for a 660/661 or 860 / 861 and preferably with power steering and a good 2 post hyd loader.

the 65+ 3 cyl models are very good too.. 2000/3000 almost the same. 4000 would handle a loader better due to it's front axle setup.

soundguy

Hello all,
Thanks for the advice!

/ Buying a Tractor..Need advice? #6  
When buying used always keep in mind the availability of parts.

For Loader Work four wheel drive may be of benefit.

Also start to look into what size you want, whats available locally and how it fits your budget.:)