Importing/Purchasing from Canada back to USA

/ Importing/Purchasing from Canada back to USA #1  

mobiledynamics

OT....but has anyone purchased any *agricutural equipment* from our neigbors up north in Canada ? Love to hear the process, what shipper, etc.

Based on my limited research, as long as the equipment is considered *used agricutural equipment*, there is no customs fee when importing it back into the USA. Looking to import something in but don't want to get killed on customs. Would make it not worthwhile to do the import with the extra fees ontop.

/ Importing/Purchasing from Canada back to USA #2  
I am looking to export new and used implements to Canada. Let me know if you get the solution to this. Lots of knowledge here on TBN. I am sure someone will chime in. Ken Sweet

/ Importing/Purchasing from Canada back to USA #3  
I've done this lots Ken. Vehicles, Sea-doo's, tools, tires, etc.

Gotta run now, but remind me later and I'll post what I know.

-Jer.

/ Importing/Purchasing from Canada back to USA #4  
I have driven across into New Brunswick Canada and bought snowblowers and other implements. No duty. No problem, generally. I am not a farmer. Also(25yrs ago) bought a kubota 20hp tractor. No problem that time. Call and talk to a few dealers close to the border.

Import into Canada? Not sure. I have taken tractors in for repair, stop at the american side. they will take the VIN#'s and give you the proper paperwork to bring back into the US. They just want to have vefifcation that you had repairs done, when you re-enter.

Thats been my experience. probably not much help.

/ Importing/Purchasing from Canada back to USA #5  
There are several aspects to consider when importing to Canada.

1. Goods and and Services Tax. 5%. No way around it.

2. Duty on things not made in North America (ie covered under NAFTA) - usually 6.1%. - ie European Cars

3. To import an non-motorized implement only GST +/- duty will apply.

4. To import a road-going motorized vehicle (ie. a truck or tractor, or ski-doo, or quad) you have to send documentation to the US Border officials AT LEAST 48 hours in advance of you bringing it across the border. If I remember correctly this is the bill of sale, CLEAR title or Manufacturers documentation if brand new, and a release of any recalls by the manufacturer (often stupid things like running lights on a car, or the anti-theft key systems). The US side then stamps the vehicle as 'exportable' and you can then take your docs to the Canadian side (CBSA) and 'import' it. You can fax all of the info to the US Border, but you MUST present originals upon arrival. I know this after spending an unexpected night in a Shelby, MT Best Western...... uuugghhh.

5. A trailer is much the same, but you don't need to 'export' it through the US border patrol. You do need to import it on the CDN side, and do the RIV.

6. If it's a road going vehicle, or a trailer, you need to do what's called the RIV (registry of imported vehicles). You start the process at the border with CBSA, pay 210$, and then you have a month or so to get an inspection done at Canadian Tire. BEWARE - bias ply tires are not allowed on the inspection - must be radials. Remember that you need to have the vehicle insured for the journey, and some kind of temporary registration in place...... or a stray license plate.....that may be lying around the garage......

7. Someone mentioned a broker. If you're importing something small - ie. in a box, and the US shipping side is willing, if you write "gift under 60$", it'll sail through. If it's something more substantial and you are not physically present at the border when your goods are crossing, someone has to 'broker' it across for you. Carriers (UPS, FedEx, USPS, Purolator, DHL, etc) all have importation services, and can do it for you. THIS IS WHERE UPS COMPLETELY RAPES YOUR WALLET - BEWARE!!! I don't allow anything to be shipped up to me via UPS. The alternative is to enroll the services of a Broker - I use a brokerage called Percy Davis (call Barry O'Handley - great guy). You can set up an account with them pretty easily. They'll work with the shipping company to get things cleared at the border lickity-split. This would likely be the easiest if you are shipping implements up. The cost is nominal, and it make life much easier. Cost is usually less than 1% of the value of the shipment.

8. Shipping. I made a connection with a company called Horizon Logistics that can find great shipping rates throughout NA. They arrange for a hand-off to a Canadian carrier to get it to it's final destination. BEWARE OF MANITOULIN TRANSPORT - not friendly. Horizon is very solid. Call and ask for Janet Tussey.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have Q's.

-Jer.

/ Importing/Purchasing from Canada back to USA #6  
Now if only America would make it as difficult for illegal aliens to enter our country as Canada and the USA make it to conduct trade between our two countries.

/ Importing/Purchasing from Canada back to USA #8  
It's 12% in British Columbia

That's combined with the PST - together making the "Harmonized" ST.

Scotch, do you have to pay 12% at the border?? Or is it GST at the border, and then the 7% is the honor system??

Now if only America would make it as difficult for illegal aliens to enter our country as Canada and the USA make it to conduct trade between our two countries.

Couldn't agree more.

Another interesting, and aggravating thing, is that it's roughly 20x easier for me, as a passport carrying Canadian Citizen, born in Canada, to get into the USA than it is to get back home!!! I've seen a 10:90 jerk : pleasant ratio with the US Border Patrol, and 90:10 with the CBSA.

-Jer.

/ Importing/Purchasing from Canada back to USA #9  
I have imported several antique farm tractors from Ontario. One I picked up north of Soo, Ontario,the agent at the border re- entering the USA was more interested in chatting about my plans for the pile of flat-tired , rusty iron on my trailer .
The next crossing at Port Huron ,Mi. was much the same , but my load was scrutinized a little more and the reason was that any farm equipment imported better be clean. Not sorta clean, but clean. Any soil, manure, dripping fluids and you will be turned back. When I go tractor pulling in Ontario , I must wash any mud off the tractor to get back in the USA, and the deck of my trailer must be clean.

/ Importing/Purchasing from Canada back to USA #10  
Oh my...illegal alien dirt and horse crap gets more attention from the border guards than invaders on our southern border do. What's wrong with this picture folks?