Terex PT100G or Bobcat 870

/ Terex PT100G or Bobcat 870 #1  
Tractor
RC100
I have a ASV RC100 with a FAE SSL125 mulching head. Machine has almost 2400 hrs on it; not all mulching, but about 80%. My dilema is that I want to upgrade, but I'm not sure which way to go. I've looked, not demo, at the TL250, Bobcat 870, PT100G, Cat 299. Also, trying to decide which mulching head to go with; the Fecon 7460 or the magnum MM60. Bobcat 870 and Fecon head is around $103,000. PT100G and Fecon head is around $98,000. I am kinda tired of dropping belly pans, so I am leaning toward the Bobcat package. Trade in on my machine and FAE head is around $32,000 with Terex dealer and around $21,000 with Bobcat. Terex seems to be leaning more forward than Bobcat. NEED Help on which way to go. Being mulching about 5 years. Just mulched 20 acres last week with my machine with no problems, but you never know when something BIG might break. So far though, still running good.

/ Terex PT100G or Bobcat 870 #2  
Hello Alabama Land Clearing, welcome to TBN! Glad to see you posting. Hope you enjoy being a member of our community. :)

/ Terex PT100G or Bobcat 870 #4  
I would definitely go with the Bobcat machine. I use the 320 and a forestry package and it works well, however, an even better option in my mind would be a dedicated mulching machine, such as a Kodiac Cutter. On the cutting head for a skid steer, I would probably go fecon, but I don't remember if that has teeth you can rotate the points on.

/ Terex PT100G or Bobcat 870 #5  
Both are good skid steers. The PT100G is going to have a little more mulching power. Unless the bobcat has some other type of head on it than a standard, it will have a Fecon made head also.

/ Terex PT100G or Bobcat 870 #6  
Alabama Land Clearing, I'm in a roughly similar situation - I've currently got an RC100 with 1100hours on it and shot tracks and boogie wheels and am considering replacing it with either a PT-100G or with either the Bobcat T770 or the T870. I am leaning towards the Bobcat machines since I've had great experiences with the Bobcat dealer (I own a Bobcat excavator) and my experiences with the Terex dealer has been ok but not great. Also, I've experienced many problems with my RC100 over the years.

I was pretty set on going with a Bobcat machine, but I looked at a PT-80 today and really liked the way the track system has been redesigned so that you can really see all of the boogie wheels and their condition and clean it out much better than on my RC100. In looking on the internet just now I realized that the flyer for the PT100 that the dealer gave meis dated December 2008 and is for the older PT-100 that still used the track system like on the RC100. In internet pictures I see that PT-100G actually has the same nice open track system that I saw on the PT-80 today.

I have yet to actually sit in either of the Bobcat machines - my dealer should be getting a couple soon, but I hear that the cabs are really nice on those machines.

What are you finding out in your machine comparison? I've got price quotes on the Bobcat machines for $77k for the T770 and $81.5K for the T870 (both with the nice option package and selectable joystick controls). I haven't gotten a price quote on the PT-100G yet.

Anybody care to comment here on the pros and cons of the machines? My experience with the RC100 was frustrating, but a lot of it was due to a different terrible dealer than the one I deal with now. Looking at the specs, the Bobcat machines appear to have much greater lifting capacity and only very slightly reduced hydraulic flow. The Bobcat machines are significantly wider than the PT-100. Does anybody out there have a newer PT-100 and can comment on the pros and cons of the newer undercarriage? How 'bout anyone whose driven the new M series Bobcats?

My uses for the machine are a lot of dirt work, mowing with the Davco cutting deck to maintain horse riding trails through forest, moving heavy loads with pallet forks across uneven ground, and just a lot of general farm maintenance tasks. I have and use the following implements - Davco cutting deck designed for the RC100, 4-in-1 bucket, vertical sickle mower, rock picker, pallet forks, grapple.

Thanks for any advice.

/ Terex PT100G or Bobcat 870 #7  
I have a ASV RC100 with a FAE SSL125 mulching head. Machine has almost 2400 hrs on it; not all mulching, but about 80%. My dilema is that I want to upgrade, but I'm not sure which way to go. I've looked, not demo, at the TL250, Bobcat 870, PT100G, Cat 299. Also, trying to decide which mulching head to go with; the Fecon 7460 or the magnum MM60. Bobcat 870 and Fecon head is around $103,000. PT100G and Fecon head is around $98,000. I am kinda tired of dropping belly pans, so I am leaning toward the Bobcat package. Trade in on my machine and FAE head is around $32,000 with Terex dealer and around $21,000 with Bobcat. Terex seems to be leaning more forward than Bobcat. NEED Help on which way to go. Being mulching about 5 years. Just mulched 20 acres last week with my machine with no problems, but you never know when something BIG might break. So far though, still running good.

If you are not working in a swamp, have you considered a rubber tire machine with "Grouser" tracks? I have not done any mulching but have done a lot of clearing and can testify to the capabilities of the over the tire tracks, they provide much more traction in the woods and "greasy" conditions. Much cheaper upkeep! As for the ASV undercarrage, even Cat walked away from that complicated mess, although it is supposed to ride very nice, just too many vunerable parts for my logic. If you can do without the rubber tracks check out the Gehl 7810 (yes I am parital to it) I think it's close to 40 gpm on the std. (2coulper) side of the hydraulics. It's another choice in that size machine, that up until the release of Bobcats new big unit was the leader in this class size skid steer. I think Bobcat has 2" higher lift, and a few (25-50) lbs. higher load rating. Good luck.

/ Terex PT100G or Bobcat 870 #8  
I am looking at purchasing my first CTL (Bobcat 870 with the A91 option package vs Terex PT100G Forestry). I have done extensive online research of the two as well as ran both of them side by side in several homemade tests over the past few days. They both have their pros and cons.

Suspension/undercarriage: Both handle bumps equally well. Undercarriage on Terex is more vulnerable to damage than Bobcat. In just one day driving through gravel the bogies and track lugs show noticeable wear and tear. The Bobcat track rubber is worn off of the sides of the metal lugs in just a few hours of use. Bobcat's undercarriage requires very little maintenance. The track tension is maintained by a grease filled piston like on a bulldozer. My friend who has a bulldozer said one disadvantage to this system is that if the piston is compressed too hard it can blow a seal and cause the track to come off. Terex uses a screw/rod that requires tightening with a wrench. The dealer says that this only needs to be done once after the first several hours of break in and rarely thereafter. ?? Terex has 14.75" ground clearance, Bobcat 8.6"

Traction: same in wet grass, light mud, steep slopes. Both have similar ground pressure and leave the same depth mark. The tread pattern marks on the Terex are a little finer and less noticeable when walking or riding over. They also don't seem to tear up the ground as much when making sharp turns. I haven't tested in deep mud, but I would expect the Terex to handle better based on my findings on the power test and reviewing the youtube videos comparing the older ASV 80 to the T300/320 where the Bobcat's back end would sink and get stuck.

Power test: had each machine on flat ground skid plate to skidplate. On the count to three both tried to push the other back. Neither budged, both eventually broke traction and began to spin. The bobcat's back end however, sank about 6 inches in the ground. (winter wet clay/sandy soil) while the Terex left an even foot print about 1 inch deep along the entire track.

Cabins: Both come nicely loaded and the heaters work great. Haven't tried the AC. The Bobcat has a nicer screen, buttons, AC/heater vents, and space (luxury car vs. economy car). I like the location of the off/on switch better on the Terex though. Both have joysticks that can run ISO or H pattern. The Terex has a rearview mirror that provides good visibility in back and reduces blind spots. I like not having to turn my head to see behind me. You can see the entire track on the Bobcat which is nice but this is because the CTL width is 10" wider. Bobcat has more leg room, adjustable armrest/joystick to accommodate different arms lengths. Both fit my arms just fine. I'm 5'11, 170lbs, 35 length sleeve. Front lights are brighter on Bobcat.

Performance: Lift - Bobcat raises 12 ft, Terex 10 ft. Terex has faster cycle time, even if traveling same distance. Operating capacity at 50% tip - Bobcat 5036 lb, Terex 4000 lbs. Top speed (on paper) - Bobcat 11.4 mph, Terex 10 mph, but for some reason the Terex I demoed would outrun the Bobcat running them side by side down the pasture. Horsepower is the same (99HP) with the Bobcat having 203 cubic in, 3.8L, displacement and 239 ft-lb torque compared to 268 cubic in, 4.4L and 310 ft-lb torque on the Terex. I didn't notice any appreciable difference between the two in moving dirt or pulling out 6" thorny locusts and cedars with a grapple.

Hydraulics: both have low and high flow. Bobcat's max is 37.4 gpm, Terex's is 45 gpm. Can't comment on this. Don't know if the extra 8 gpm would be noticeable on a Fecon or other heavy use attachement.

Dimensions: See spec sheets. But would like to point out that Bobcat uses a 17.7" track with 68.9" on the ground, giving a ground pressure of 4.5 - 4.7 psi. The Terex has a 20" track with 71" on the ground giving a ground pressure of 4.0 - 4.5 psi. Overall width and height - Bobcat 83" w x 83.4" h, Terex 74"w x 87" h.

Protection: Terex has a roll bar like cage over the entire back and top of the CTL. The hydraulics, lights, and windows are all well protected. The Bobcat's lift arm rises up in the back where it could snag on tree limbs and the radiator on top is susceptible to damage from falling limbs/objects. The Bobcat's undercarriage, however, seems to be better protected.

Overall impression: Tough call. Both are very capable machines. The Bobcat seems more heavy duty and refined. The Terex seems more nimble, quicker, and easier to get around in. It is like comparing a BMW 740 to a 330. (Luxury car vs sports car). I wish I could get a Bobcat with the dimensions and protection of the Terex.

Which one will I buy? Pricing is very close. Both dealers are great. Bobcat dealer is only 20 miles away, Terex 110 miles away. Which will cost me more over the years? Damage from trees and objects to the Bobcat or wear/tear on Terex's undercarriage. Other repairs?

Anybody have their 2 cents worth??

/ Terex PT100G or Bobcat 870 #9  
I am a 35 year contractor in Maryland, I have used bobcat, John Deere, Cat, Geil, I have tried almost every brand. I brought an ASV PT 100 with Forestry to run a fecon. All machines seems to have their pros and cons, the biggest is manufacture support through your local dealer. My local bobcat dealer has supported me over the years and I have never had a machine down for more than 4 days with my bobcat dealer. The Asv is a very nice machine but my dealer support is not so good. I purchased this PT100 online because I do not have a local dealer. I like the forestry package, I like the quick connects are large enough they do not restrict oil as other brands. These machines were made to produce high volume of oil flow and to keep the oil cool. This machine seems to travel on wet ground and slopes as good if not any. Power is not a problem with the ASV, there is alot of good things with the ASV and I could go on and on. The down side to the ASV #1 seems to be Terex... I brought my machine new in 2010, I found out it was a 2007 after I had already purchased the machine which it only had 1 hour on it. When I found this out what the warrenty was supposed to be 2 years I have an email from Terex stating that my 1 hour machine has 0 warrenty. I paid full price with 0 warrenty becfore you buy a Terex product be very sure that you check the small print on when the machine is auctually put into service. All other manufactures put the machine in service when it is sold. Regardless of year, month or date. Terex determines this when it is birthed. So many hours after the machine has left the assembly line. I paid for the machine in good faith and in full and I felt like I was let down by Terex. This machine was mis represented. The way I understand Terex was I am over 18 take it like you took your wife for better or worse. ASV makes a good product. I would and will never by anything else with a Terex brand on it. The downside to this machine is in turning from a dead stand very sluggish in tight spots, be prepared to have a dust mask as cab is not sealed. Air conditioner consistly needs maintance, clean out of machine is horrible, and is an all day job. The cab in this machine is very tight but the dirt. We can only use this machine after it rains and there is moisture in dry weather this cab in unbearable. We have tried sealing with adding new weather stripping, duct tape and it just leaks everywhere. My bocat dealer would have never sold me a machine that we were not happy with. I was so unhappy with Terex, and the email that they sent me, the machine has its problems but is a very strong machine. Mt experience with Terex verses any manufacture stay away from Terex. Bobcat has great service, superior parts, for a small track loader we have absolutly very few problems. I have several Bobcat machines. I would like to see Bobcat make improvements on a larger quik couplers so oil is not restricted, and a different hydraulic cooler system. I run the Bobcat for 4 hours the oile seems to get hot. You need to take a long lunch..... I run the ASV for 4 hours, I am out of fuel and I need to take a shower.......I am truely unhappy with Terex.......

/ Terex PT100G or Bobcat 870 #10  
That is really sad about their warranty policy. They have really improved the cab on the new PT100gs. Have you tried the new Bobcat 870? I really liked cab, ride, and performance. The things I didn't like was the wide track (7ft) and heavy back end that seemed to not float as well as the Terex. Have you noticed a difference in traction with these units? repairs on bobcat vs terex?
Thanks