proicing a used 4020

/ proicing a used 4020 #1  

cuttinjudy

Hello all!
I am new to the list and joined after a friend told me about this forum. My husband and I have a small farm, where we mostly raise horses and cats...haha! My question is really very simple. We currently own a small ford tractor, but it is way too small for what we need to do on our 68 acres. I don't want to get a large tractor. My neighbor has a 69 model JD 4020 that looks new. It has been completely refurbished and it is just a super nice tractor. We are very tempted to buy this tractor. My question here would be what is the going price for a tractor like this one? It doesn't have a front end loader or anything like that. It does have hay forks on the rear. Everything on the tractor works and it runs as smooth as a singer sewing machine. Hopefully all of you tractor afficianados on this list can give me a good ball park figure on the value of this tractor. Seems I will be the one doing the negotiating..:)

/ proicing a used 4020 #2  
How many hours and when was the last overhaul? Those are probably the most popular older tractor that there is and as such they bring a good price. If it doesn't have too many hours and has a fairly recent overhaul it would be worth $10k or more. Ones at auctions with 7-10k hours and not in real good shape will bring anywhere from 7-10k. Really good looking ones with low hours or recent overhaul and good paint bring 10-15k.

/ proicing a used 4020 #3  
<font color=green>a good ball park figure on the value of this tractor</font color=green>

machinery link values it at:

1969 JD4020 (gas)
Premium condition: $8297
Good condition: $6857
Fair condition: $4535

1969 JD4020 (diesel)
Premium condition: $9789
Good condition: $7842
Fair condition: $5186

<font color=green>I don't want to get a large tractor. </font color=green>

The 4020 is a 95 HP tractor and is widely used in my area as a primary field tractor. My brother in law has a 1966 3020 and it is too large to do a lot of things with. What are your plans for this tractor?

/ proicing a used 4020 #4  
Let us know what area of the U.S. you're in... and I'll try to narrow down some recent auction prices for your locale...

That 4020 may be perhaps John Deere's most popular workhorse... it certainly has a proven track record since day one... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ proicing a used 4020
Thanks, cowboydoc99, the prices you quoted are a bit steep, aren't they? I sure hope my neighbor hasn't gotten wind of those. The tractor is in mint condition. I am taking a friend with me this afternoon to check it out. It is a diesel. I hope to get all the particulars on this one. My neighbor actually has two 4020's. One is a 66 and then the 69. Both are in superior shape as far as I can tell. I was hoping to get this one for around $8000. :(

/ proicing a used 4020
Diesel Owner says it is the best tractor ever made. He must like them, since he has two.

/ proicing a used 4020
Our little farm is located in the delta of SE Arkansas. Just a small place for us to tinker around on and keep a few horses. We are still in the building stage, but so far things have been great. I was raised on a farm, but my husband, well lets just say he wasn't...:) There a lot of tractors in my area. I will let you all know all about the tractor after I get a chance to really give it a good going over. Thanks

/ proicing a used 4020 #8  
I think anyone who's ever owned or used the 4020 would agree. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ proicing a used 4020 #9  
At $8000 and if it's in the shape you say that would be an absolute steal. The prices I quoted are what I see them go for all the time. I was just at a sale last weekend and there was one there with 7500 hours on it, paint was rough, had recent rebuild at 6000 hours on the top end, ran good, hydraulics were good, and it brought $9400. A couple months ago I was at a sale with one that looked just like new. It had new paint, 4500 hours, and was in excellent shape. It brought $17,500 with a loader.

/ proicing a used 4020 #10  
<font color=blue>I don't want to get a large tractor.</font color=blue>
Hi, Judy, welcome to TBN! What do you mean by 'large'? The 4020 is a full size, i.e., not a compact, tractor. I'd think it'd work great on your 68 acres.

There's a great web site for the 4020. Just click <A target="_blank" HREF=http://forty-twenty.com/>here</A>