Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    2008 Mahindra 5525, 1964 MF-135 diesel, 1951 Farmall Super A, 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF, 1945 Oliver 60 Row Crop, 1949 JD B widefront

Default Re: Need advice on 60-75 hp Tractors

Quote Originally Posted by HarleyBob View Post
    I currently have a kubota Grand L 30 and we now have 40 acres that we need to
    do heavier soil work and hay bailing. I don't need a cab, and I am looking for advice on what to buy in that hp range and if it is enough hp to plow, disc, till and hay 20-30 acre
    areas. We hire work out now to a 200hp Deere and are looking to take over most of that work. I like Kubota, but will consider others. I would also like something somewhat used
    but ready to go.
    Check out pre-owned Mahindra tractors. Mine is a 2008 5525 (54 hp engine, 45 hp pto, 2WD, gear tranny) with the ML250 FEL (6-ft wide bucket, 2950 lb lift). I use it for haying on my 10 acres (oat hay, small square bales). Mahindras are heavy tractors, built like tanks, hardly any plastic parts to get busted.

I've owned small Kubotas (B7510HST) and they are fine tractors. My neighbor has a Kubota L4400 (44 hp engine) that's a really nice machine.

Tractor
    New Holland TD95D, Ford 4610 & Ferguson TO-30

Default Re: Need advice on 60-75 hp Tractors

Quote Originally Posted by HarleyBob View Post
    I currently have a kubota Grand L 30 and we now have 40 acres that we need to
    do heavier soil work and hay bailing. I don't need a cab, and I am looking for advice on what to buy in that hp range and if it is enough hp to plow, disc, till and hay 20-30 acre
    areas. We hire work out now to a 200hp Deere and are looking to take over most of that work. I like Kubota, but will consider others. I would also like something somewhat used
    but ready to go.
    Based on your stated requirements, and depending on the type of soil you have and the size of the round baled you put up, I would advise looking at a machine with about 75 PTO HP. make sure the 3 point lift capacity and the loader lift capacity will meet you requirements. The name brands with good dealer support in your area and the right price would dictate the choice.

We have a small ranch and investing in hay equipment (moco, rake, and baler)just does not pencil out for us and we contract our haying to a custom farmer and buy whatever we need over and above what our hay ground produces. It's hard to justify the cost of even good used equipment in our area to hay 20-30 acres.

The round bales we get are 1250-1350 lbs and I handled them with a Ford 46102WD drive open station with a FEL. (When we started here in Montana, I never planned on using round bales because if your tractor doesn't start, the cow don't eat. Square bales are expensive realtive to round bales so sowe made the switch using the 4610 with a FEL spear and a spinner on it.) Clearing the field after haying was not comfortable, stability-wise, with that tractor nor was feeding in the winter. (Ever get stuck with a roundbale on the FEL and next to the feeder but not close enough to drop the bale in and unable to back up!) I'm getting a little long in the tooth to be feeding in a Montana winter with an open station machine. While it's hard to pencil out a tractor that can meet these requirements there's something to be said about safety. So I sprung for a NH 4WD TD95D (80 PTO HP) with a cab and a 820TL loader and 93 hrs on it. On the face of it it' overkill for our operation but it will handle these big bales more safely in the field and with 4wd drive it will deal with our muddy ground during feeding season as well as with deep snow. And with the cab, it's comfortable in any weather. It also gives us some flexibility if the future says we can justify haying equipment.

My point is don't just consider just your needs today. Look for options that give you more flexibility in the future. Don't over size but 10-15 pto HP and heavier weight over what you think you need today will alow you some future growth without having to invest in a new tractor.
    Look for used tractor with low hours to save some money. I found mine on ebay, made an offer to the seller contingent on my personal inspection and then I went down to inspect it, and then went down and picked it up (it was in New Mexico) and brought it home. I think my net savings was about $5-8K.

Look at all the brands that are suported by dealers in your area, get in the seat and test them, and then integrate your requirements and the price that fits your circumstances and make your choice.

Good luck in whatever you choose.
    Last edited by Jerry/MT; 01-01-2011 at 01:03 PM. Reason: typo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12