Buying Advice Need advice on 60-75 hp Tractors

/ Need advice on 60-75 hp Tractors #1  

HarleyBob

Silver Member
I currently have a Kubota Grand L 30 and we now have 40 acres that we need to
do heavier soil work and hay bailing. I don't need a cab, and I am looking for advice on what to buy in that hp range and if it is enough hp to plow, disc, till and hay 20-30 acre
areas. We hire work out now to a 200hp Deere and are looking to take over most of that work. I like Kubota, but will consider others. I would also like something somewhat used
but ready to go.

/ Need advice on 60-75 hp Tractors #2  
a kubota 8540 4x4 would do everything you need done on your place.

/ Need advice on 60-75 hp Tractors #3  
Obviously my preference is for Kubota, but when buying used would certainly look at any of the top four or five brands. I think you are right in the ballpark on horsepower dependent of course on your haying equipment.

I am sure some people with more haying experience will weigh in, but I wouldn't even consider a hay operation on that acreage.

/ Need advice on 60-75 hp Tractors
We are in a farm area so we have dealers for NH, Case, Kubota and Deere all close.
I am not a Deere fan although all the large units around us are Deere.
I had never considered Case before but I am open to them.
For haying, I am leaning towards one of the small to medium round balers from
Europe that require about 50 hp. These are balers that make round bales in the 90-300 pound range.

/ Need advice on 60-75 hp Tractors #5  
not putting CASE down mind you.but the dealer that i bought my kubota from handles CASE as well.i talked to the machanic as to wich is the best,an he said he sees mostly all cases in the shop tobe worked on.i was considering A CASE DX55 clutchless shuttle 4x4 w/fel before i looked at kubotas.an i looked at the CASES while i was looking at the kubotas,an i didnt like the way the CASE was made or the way it looked.an it would not lift the big 5 by 6 bales.

So the new IH are not as well made as my 1958 Farmall Cub?
I am going to mostly look at Kubota. One thing I don't like is too much
swoopy design. I like a square traditional look tractor. Looks are not
the important thing, I know.
I cannot believe how well my Kubota has held up for the past 6 years.
I have just changed fluids. I am still on my original Battery!
Nothing has needed any repair except for having the seat recovered because
my tractor is outside 365 days.

/ Need advice on 60-75 hp Tractors #7  
So the new IH are not as well made as my 1958 Farmall Cub?
I am going to mostly look at Kubota. One thing I don't like is too much
swoopy design. I like a square traditional look tractor. Looks are not
the important thing, I know.
I cannot believe how well my Kubota has held up for the past 6 years.
I have just changed fluids. I am still on my original Battery!
Nothing has needed any repair except for having the seat recovered because
my tractor is outside 365 days.

Not even close, I like the old IH, but after 12 years with a Case CX80, we gave up and traded it in for only a little more than the price of the new tires we had just put on.

The M Series Kubota looks like our best option. There are some around here
used with low (Under 600) hours, mostly rental returns.
Which is the best transmission to look for?
I love the HST on the Grand L for loader work, but this will be more for field work.

/ Need advice on 60-75 hp Tractors #9  
The closest you can get to a HST in the M Series is the Hydraulic Shuttle Shift which we have in ours with 12F/12R. We like it really well for field work and while not as easy for FEL work is pretty darned good. There is also and option for 24F/24R, but we haven't seen any need for it in our tractor; also look at the "creep" option.

/ Need advice on 60-75 hp Tractors #10  
I know there isn't a dealer close but have you looked at the MF line. The MF2670 or MF2660 would be a great choice. As a comercial baler I personally do not like the bota. Im not putting down bota cuz the make a great compact tractor just not impressed with there ag tractors. They are light in the rear and have a problem overheating here in the south. They may be fine up north where u are and doesn't get as hot. And yes I've experienced this first hand, im not brand bashing just my opinion, like I said they make one of the best scut and cut out there.