New at buying

/ New at buying #1  

Anonymous Poster

I'm building on 14 acres and plan on planting 7 acres in grass. I'll need to do a lot of landscaping plus mowing and snow plowing. I've been looking at compacts between 25 -30hp with 60" deck, front end loader, front blade, tiller and box scraper. I'm new at this - so does this sound about right? Also anyone have a recommendation on tractor model, etc? Thanks

/ New at buying #2  
Walt, sounds like you've got it about right. As for brands . . ., personal preference, what "feels" good to YOU is probably the right one. Kubota, John Deere, and New Holland are the big three; all good tractors, but if you read much on this forum, you'll find lots of folks who also like the Massey, Cub Cadets, Kioti, others.

/ New at buying #3  
I would say that your on the right track for the size of property you have. Actually something in the 29 to 33 HP, midsize frame might be an appropriate size. This will give you enough weight versus HP for decent traction. And yet allow you to obtain a front loader with good lifting capacities (min. 1000#) and a decent size Hd bucket, to be able to accomplish projects within a reasonable amount of time. This frame size also handles a good 7.5 ft backhoe should you want/need one in the future. Most of these models will also have enough power to handle a 72" mower deck (3pt RFM or MMM) and a 5' tiller, 6.5' or 7' front blade and a 5' or 6' box blade.

My recomendations would have to start with New Hollands TC29's or TC33's or their economy model the TC30. These are a great combination of power and weight for traction in a pkg. that is a great size for maneauverability. Of course Kubota offers some good models in the B2910 and the L3010. As well as thier new L3030 and the new B7800, that are just now being released. The Kubotas tend to weigh a little less than thier competitors, and that can relate to traction issues. But overall they build a great tractor. John Deere has some great offerings in the 4310 and 4410 however both of these models were released earlier this year, and there have been some issues with thier new electronic gizmos. Also included in the JD lineup are thier economy models the 790 and the 990. The 790 might be a little small but the 990 should do just fine. Their are also good offerings from such companies as Kioti, Mahindra, Branson and Long that are getting good reveiws. If you will just scroll down to the appropriate threads relating to these manufacturers, you wil be abe to read up on the varius pros and cons for each models. Personnally I think your just going to have to get to some of these dealers and try them on for size. And as you will read here many times over the dealers attitude, proximity and ability to service the products he sells in a timely and thorough method.

/ New at buying
Hi,

I have four acres and bought a Kubota B2910. It was a last minute decision...I though I needed less...

Now I wish I would have went with the L3010. I think at the time I could have got it at the same price, or close to it, and had a higher capacity loader with more lift and more weight and not that much bigger of a tractor.

I don't expect to change tractors...the B2910 is still a great work horse...but...

My advice would be to go bigger than you think you need...if the bucks are there to make that happen...probably you won't regret it.

Do your best to do it right the first time!

Too bad it takes money...

Bill in Pgh, PA

/ New at buying #5  
The most important thing to do is spend as much time as is humanly possible on all of the ones you like. Hopefully you are in an area that the dealers send out tractors to you to tryout. The more time spent before purchasing the better off you are later. I'm sure,you'll find things you do not like about every brand,so you have to decide what you can and can not live with.

/ New at buying
I'd like to add an amen to macher's post. I bought the Kioti 3054 (30hp, 4wd) and while I really like the tractor, I wish I had bought a larger 35hp.

/ New at buying #7  
i would stay at the high end in size, not so much for the hp but for the traction and the additional lift on the loader. u will find that you will run out of lift and traction before u run out of power. remember tho that if doing a lot of grass mowing sometimes heavier is not better, has more of a tendency to leave marks, try them out and get the one u like the best.

/ New at buying
Thanks for the info. I have a JD, Kubota & Cub dealer in my area. A good friend of mine told me to stay away from the cub - he personally has had a lot of problems. JD & Kubota are both good tractors. JD's seem to have less standard equipment - a lot of options and add ons compared to Kubota. For a new buyer like me, this really makes things more complicated than I need. From what I've read, buying from a local dealer makes sense, if so I'm limited to the three I've mentioned. Unfair question, but which one is the best buy?

/ New at buying #9  
Sounds good. I'm partial to the ford/nh.. but if you are looking for more tractor for less money.. want a lower price, and aren't as concerned with all the bells and whistles.. Massey ferg makes a decent unit.. a nit basic in comparison tot he 'big three'.. but a good unit none the less.

go with what makes you comfterable.. especially in dealer service.

Soundguy

/ New at buying #10  
Walt,
Having gone through the same process with the same questions I know how ya feel. I got some good advise during my search, and for once I took it. 2 things, 1) Spend some time getting on and off the tractors you are considering. Ease of getting on and off can make a big difference onver the course of a long day working and trust your rear-end a little on how the tractor sits. After all, a 30 HP tractor, whether it's green, blue or orange will pretty much all do the same work. 2) Give some weight to the dealer. Having a dealer that you trust to back you if there is a problem and who you feel is being fair with you is worth a couple hundred bucks over who gave you the cheapest price. Good Luck and let us know how you come out