Worth a look, MF 135 Gas

/ Worth a look, MF 135 Gas #11  
sure might have original rubber.. though I'd expenct them to be dry and rotted a bit.

soundguy

/ Worth a look, MF 135 Gas #12  
i would believe the hours could be orignal and correct i just bought a 20 year old johndeere with only 700 hours on it and they or correct on it

/ Worth a look, MF 135 Gas #13  
That is a reasonable price but no big deal even with the bush hog thrown in. The hours could be real but it is still forty year old iron. I had a 135 with the Continental and while I really liked the tractor given my needs of snow blowing a long driveway and tractor work on a very hilly and rocky property it was a mistake. Mine had a fully hydraulic FEL (you will find the trip a PITA) with a front pump for the hydraulics. If the one you are looking at has a valve under the seat to use the loader, you can't use the three point while using the loader. Leak down of the three point is fairly common as is a leaking fuel valve or bowl. Look for clean spots if the rest of the machine is dusty -- it will identify leaks. The 165 engine is definitely not the same so I am not sure the seller knows what he is talking about on that front.
I know this might draw the ire of others on here but if this is going to be your only tractor and you don't know a lot about fixing them, I would be tempted to save my pennies and look for a more modern four wheel drive rather than succumb to the nostalgia of "the most popular tractor ever made". - JMHO

/ Worth a look, MF 135 Gas
Thanks or the comment and do agree with and have some concern buying an older tractor for the reasons that you mention. I have had a couple of older tractors in the past when I lived on the west coast but never had any really serious issues with them. I am fine for doing engine maintenance, replacing gaskets, valve adjustments etc, would be a little less confident to do a complete engine re-build however. Its a matter of money for picking something up that would make me look at an older machine. After spending over 4 hours yesterday clearing off a 5 cm (3 inch) dump of snow from 85% of my driveway, think that I need a machine. That and for property maintenance, garden ploughing as well, the needs are relatively light to medium duty for me. There is someone selling a JD 4100 with a FEL (JD 410) asking 10,500 I emailed asking how firm he was on the price thinking in my mind to come back with an offer of 9,000 (these are CAD dollars but pretty much the same as USD these days but things are cheaper in the US than here. Its a 2005 4x4 with 1006 hours. At 9000 this would be the very maximum that I would be willing to spend on something however in the end perhaps I might be better off with a newer machine. From what I read the 4100's have some favourable reviews from owners and report very few problems. Going to look at the MF today but have decided just to look for today and not commit directly. Some friends have recommended talking to a tractor mechanic that they use when they found out that I was looking, at least I would have a better idea from seeing it today. One thing I thought was that the JD front end loader would probably be better at ploughing snow than the tip bucket of the MF

/ Worth a look, MF 135 Gas #15  
Thanks or the comment and do agree with and have some concern buying an older tractor for the reasons that you mention. I have had a couple of older tractors in the past when I lived on the west coast but never had any really serious issues with them. I am fine for doing engine maintenance, replacing gaskets, valve adjustments etc, would be a little less confident to do a complete engine re-build however. Its a matter of money for picking something up that would make me look at an older machine. After spending over 4 hours yesterday clearing off a 5 cm (3 inch) dump of snow from 85% of my driveway, think that I need a machine. That and for property maintenance, garden ploughing as well, the needs are relatively light to medium duty for me. There is someone selling a JD 4100 with a FEL (JD 410) asking 10,500 I emailed asking how firm he was on the price thinking in my mind to come back with an offer of 9,000 (these are CAD dollars but pretty much the same as USD these days but things are cheaper in the US than here. Its a 2005 4x4 with 1006 hours. At 9000 this would be the very maximum that I would be willing to spend on something however in the end perhaps I might be better off with a newer machine. From what I read the 4100's have some favourable reviews from owners and report very few problems. Going to look at the MF today but have decided just to look for today and not commit directly. Some friends have recommended talking to a tractor mechanic that they use when they found out that I was looking, at least I would have a better idea from seeing it today. One thing I thought was that the JD front end loader would probably be better at ploughing snow than the tip bucket of the MF

One other thing to keep in mind--the MF135 is not a particularly good choice for FEL work since the front axle is not as strong as some of the other MF tractors of that era, such as the MF150.

Here's the front axle on my 1964 MF135 diesel (45 hp engine, 37 hp pto)

DSCF0251 (Small).JPG

Compare to the front axle on my 2008 Mahindra 5525 (54 hp engine, 45 hp pto) which is considerably beefier than the 135 axle.

DSCF0175 (Small).JPG

DSCF0176 (Small).JPG

Also note the hydraulic cylinder on the 5525 front axle. It's the power steering cylinder--the 5525 has true power steering. The MF135 has "power assisted" steering, which means that there's a small hydraulically driven power steering gizmo built into the steering column. If you intend to move heavy loads in your FEL bucket, decent power steering is a must and the MF135 is lacking in this regard.

/ Worth a look, MF 135 Gas
Did go see it, it was all original without a doubt except for the solenoid and battery. For its age and the fact that no attempt was made by the looks of it to either paint it, clean off the engine, it wasn't in that bad condition really. Very little to no rust even the rims were not all that bad. There was a gas leak from the shut off valve that was not original it was leaking. No smoke from the motor, exhaust was clear so it did not appear to be burning oil or coolant. There was some pink coloured fluid on the snow which I took to be transmission fluid maybe about a half an ounce or at most an ounce. Then its harder to say with the snow, it would probably tend to bleed into it a little. Exhaust was ok no leaks, all of the gages worked along with the lights. There was not a lot of room to move it so trying out all the gears really wasn't an option due to the space. Clutch seemed to be ok, brakes ok. The hydraulics were on the slower side to get started but worked, the seller thought that it was due to water in the fluid and that it was passed due changing the hydraulic fluid. The front tires were cracked all through the sidewalls and in the tread so they were original, and there were cracks in the rear tires but not as much as in the front again original tires. The tip bucket certainly worked but I don't see it as an option for either snow or moving the fill I have dumped on a part of my property so that was pretty much a nothing for me, to use it straight off I would have to get a snowblower and not even sure that it would be of value having the tip bucket at all, it again is original. One of the hydraulic lines looked like it needed to be replaced so at the end of it I wasn't really sure what to take from it. One of the pros being the loader really wasn't something that I think that I would use in the end just not being a true FEL. I don't think that it was in bad shape and also the seller is selling his farm getting something smaller so there is no need for the number of tractors that he has so I don't think its just a bad device he is trying to unload, just doesn't need it or can't keep it. In its state now though its not something that I can use for the winter unless I come across a snow blower as well. Oh yeah, no rear remotes so it would have to be a manual chute snow blower I would think. Not that that is the end of the world but there isn't the option. So left to consider is $4000ish worth it or not with the possibility of tire replacement, at least one hydraulic line, a snowblower, since the bucket really isn't an option, look to a rebuilt and painted diesel 135 with snow blower for $6800, (snowblowers run about 1000-1500 here used), or tip in another $5000 and get a newer smaller 4x4 tractor that at least has a real FEL that for this season at least move snow and level fill on my property. Will have to take a while on this one. The advice everyone gave has been great, thanks again to all that have responded

/ Worth a look, MF 135 Gas #17  
good luck on your decision!

soundguy