Common Heritage-or how many manufacturers?

/ Common Heritage-or how many manufacturers? #1  

Red Horse

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 655ZTrak, Deere 4720 Cab, 400 X LT 155
Well guys I'm new to this site which I think by the way is great. But help me out here.

I never heard of LS Tractor until I started following this site. I gather LS is a Korean outfit? And they produce tractors that are sold under what labels?

I am also of the belief that AGCO produces, Challenger, MF, McCormick and ?? Also am I correct in my assumption that AGCO is a marketing company with no manufacturing assets? They simply contract out to some outfit in korea or China or India to build a yellow tractor, or a red tractor etc.?

finally, in reading some threads-which led to this post, I gather CNH makes NO compact tractors in their own facilites-be they blue New Hollands or red CaseIH? Is this true.

Set me straight guys.

By the way, I'm an old guy, learned how to drive on an 8N, worked my way through college running among other things an 840 Ford LB with an Eimco driving front axle-in the early/ mid 60's, 4 x 4 TLB's were non existent and for the last twenty years my blood turned from blue to green!

/ Common Heritage-or how many manufacturers? #2  
That is a loaded question.:Not sure where to start and I will leaving a lot out for sure.:D AGCO is a manufacture of many brands of AG equipment and in the world. They are the third largest manufacture of Ag equipment. They own a lot of manufacturing assets. AGCO stands for Allis and Gleaner Company. They own manufacturing plants all over the world. They manufacture Massey, Challenger and Gleaner combines, Challenger, Massey, Hesston hay equipment, White corn planters, Sunflower Tillage equipment all in Kansas. They build Challenger tracked tractors and articulated tractors in Minnesota as well as self propelled sprayers. They have one of the most advanced tractors built in Germany called a Fendt. They have a large manufacturing presence in Brazil as well. The large AG Massey Fergusons, AGCO (orange tractors discontinued) and Challenger large wheeled tractors are built in France. They have also purchased a combine plant in Italy called Lavardo.

The McCormick name is owned by Landini. An Italian company who bought the rights to the McCormick name. They also purchased CaseIH manufacturing plants in the UK after the merger of New Holland and Case IH due to anti trust laws. They did have LS manufacture their CUT for a while. LS now have an agreement with Case New Holland (CNH). CNH is a Fiat company.

I have left a lot of history out I know.

I can see why John Deere is so successful. They have a much simpler heritage to follow. :)

/ Common Heritage-or how many manufacturers?
Thx HH Man. I actuall went on AGCO's website-they have a very good chronological history of the company. As for CaseIH and New Holland, I guess its safe to say that they DON"T manufacture their own compact tractors? I guess that means Deere is the only "US Flag" tractor producer that still builds "their own"-evan though their imported component content is high.