Dealer quote experience

/ Dealer quote experience #11  
That's a good point, Ben. One other point I'd like to mention is that while there are a myriad of laws and agencies to protect the consumer, there's not a single one to protect a business from the consumer.

/ Dealer quote experience #12  
I will have to disagree on the laws. What about the defrauding an inkeeper laws. The mechanics lein laws. the theft of service from cable company law. The banking laws that hold banks not responsible for their mistakes if your check bounces because they made a mistake. I once had a bank credit my deposit to another account. There is no law to protect a consumer against that, you have to sue. There are more laws to protect business than consumers, or at least as many. In the homeland security act there is a provision to prevent suits against drug compaines. If the airline is flying a plane over 20 years old and it falls apart and crashes, they are not liable. These are just a few I can think of.

Ben in ky

/ Dealer quote experience #13  
Mechanic's leins protect individual workers, too. The bank situation you describe is an error and not an attempt to defraud and therefor is civil in nature. You seem to be confusing civil and criminal actions.

I've never seen any laws which impute knowledge of unknowable things on an individual, but I can cite example of that which apply to businesses.

It seems as though this is something on which we may have to agree to disagree. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Have a nice Thanksgiving.

/ Dealer quote experience #14  
When I bought my 4300 Deere I was also looking at Orange. The Kubota dealers were smaller and all about the same size. The prices varied about $1000 on a tractor. The highest price came from a salesman who told me as I left to give him a chance at beating a better price. That real burns me. All I want is their best price. I tell them I will shop around and have confidence in Carver so shipping is not a problem. If I can come close to the same price, I would always buy local.

When I zeroed in on the 4300 I called and talked with several dealers and found the farther I got away the higher the price with only one exception. The lowest priced dealer had a real small shop and really did not impress me. The dealer I wanted to buy from was only ten miles away and had a great reputation with the local farmers. Their price was $1000 or so more for the package. I talked with them and showed them the lowest quote. I was impressed the way they handled it. No bad mouthing of the other dealer, no excuses. After talking to the boss the salesman came back with a deal only two hundred dollars more. A no brainer, I took the deal. The service I have gotten from them has been very good.

I have had some problems because I am just new at this tractor thing but they always are responsive. They will have a service man stop on the way to another job to answer my questions. After dealing with them, I know I got the best deal. They still answer my stupid questions and are always willing to help me out. My 4300 needed some recall work and the truck arrived at 8:00 AM and returned the tractor at 1:00 PM the same day. Now I know why the farmers all recommended them.

I know where I will buy my next tractor, no question about it.

/ Dealer quote experience #15  
I was at a car dealership the other day where I mentioned protection laws. They told me that there was a bunch of things they had to disclose and do because of state laws and protection for the purchaser. I said "and none for the dealership, right?" He said "we have just as many to protect us." Hard to know what he meant by that or what kinds of protection he was referring to. I suppose it all depends on your perspective.

/ Dealer quote experience #16  
He probably did call just to be sure the quote was genuine, I'm sure all dealers know what other dealers pay for their tractors as they come from the same place, but there may be price breaks for a quantity buy I dont know, but I dont believe it would $1500 cheaper per tractor, the local dealer is probably thinking you will pay the $1500 more to keep your business close to home.

/ Dealer quote experience #17  
Re: caution, topic drift!!

<font color=blue>If the airline is flying a plane over 20 years old and it falls apart and crashes, they are not liable.</font color=blue>

As a pilot, I can say this is NOT true. The liability reform (?) passed by congress a few years back relieves the MANUFACTURER of an aircraft made more than 20 years ago from liability in SOME cases. It does not relieve them of negligence or willfull misconduct. It also doe snot releive them of responsibility for replacement parts put into this airplane which are less than 20 years old.

The OWNER/OPERATOR of an aircraft is ultimately responsible for determining its airworthiness and for its safe operation, regardless of its age. (This would be the airline, in your example, or an individual in the case of many of the smaller, privately owned general aviation aircraft.)

/ Dealer quote experience #18  
Re: caution, topic drift!!

I could very well be mistaken on the Airline responsibility on the 20 Year old Aircraft liability issue. However I Thought that Florida passeed a law that went beyond the federal law a few years ago. Of course I could be mistaken or have heard a "NEWS" story that was slanted.

Ben in KY

/ Dealer quote experience #19  
nhman,We have about 4 Kubota Dealers within about a 100 miles radius in our part of the country (Rural U.S.A.) They all know one another very well.Our Dealer says he can price a unit within 50-100 bucks of any other Dealership,simply because they all work off of the same numbers.

He will tell potential buyers to shop around to get the best price they can,cause he knows that he is right in the same price range as the next guy.

$1500. is a bit too much of a difference for sure.The biggest margin between Dealers is what they will allow for a trade in...