Dealer quote experience

/ Dealer quote experience #1  

nhman

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2910
Had a funny experience today when getting a quote. Maybe someone can explain it to me.

I have a good quote on a b2910. I live in va. area and there are dealers in Md, west virginia, the district of columbia etc. All within 60 miles. The best qoute I have is from a dealer across the state line. I went to th closest dealer and asked them if they could match the quote. The salesman asked to see the quote. I showed him. He said he'd get back to me. He called me about 4 hours later and said he could not beat the quote and in fact his price was 1500 more. He said they called the other dealer as well. I'm confused as to why the local dealer called the other dealer?

This local dealer was also about 1500 higher when I bought my first tractor. I really want to so business with the closest dealer, but his price is to high. I am also now kind of wondering why he called the other dealer or if he even did so? He said he confirmed the price I showed him on the quote.
So why did he say he called?

/ Dealer quote experience #2  
Why not ask him? /w3tcompact/icons/clever.gif I have a tough enough time trying to figure out why I do some of the things I do without trying to figure out why someone else does what they did.

/ Dealer quote experience #3  
My guess is that he did not call the other dealer--unless both dealerships are owned by the same company. If they are competitive dealers, a dealer would not share sales information to risk losing the sale to a competitive dealer. Ask to speak to the owner/GM not the salesman and again explain how you would like to do business with them--ask him to sharpen the pencil or throw in some extra attachments to secure your business. If this does not work, 60 miles is only an hour away-$1,500 is a sizeable sum.

/ Dealer quote experience #4  
nhman,
From a dealer standpoint, it is possible he called the other dealer for this reason; often we get potential customers who will call or come in claiming the nearest dealer gave them such and such quote to try to get us to lower our price. We, in turn, have called the dealer in question and gotten the REAL qoute only to find it was much higher than the customer claimed. This does not happen to often out here as the nearest dealer is 120 miles away, but sadly it does happen. I would think with a written quote there would be no reason to call, but if this has been a problem for them they may just be gunshy. We work pretty closely with our dealers out here in the boonies because we often share truckloads to save on freight and transfer inventory in and out. We sell very low volume compared to more populous areas and therefore cannot stock large volumes and multiples of any particular model. Just because dealers are competitive doesn't mean they do not have a good business relationship or even friendship outside of business. Its a good idea to get along with your neighbors just in case they have something you really NEED someday:)

/ Dealer quote experience #5  
if he did call the other dealer it was probably to confirm that u were not giving him a line of bull about the price. only thing i can think of.

/ Dealer quote experience #6  
A line of bull from the buyer and not the salesman ?? I guss there is even competition in bull :)

Ben in KY

/ Dealer quote experience #7  
The vast majority of attempts to purpetrate a fraud in vehicle transactions are those involving attempts by the consumer to defraud the dealer. It usually involves a vehicle being traded in being misrepresented. You'd be amazed at some of the things I've seen in my 25 years in business. A lot of time it's relatively minor things like car audio systems or tires being swapped after the appraisal, but I've seen an entire engine swap done on a Jeep, removing a V-8 and replacing it with a four cylinder.

/ Dealer quote experience #8  
Yes I know it works both ways. Remember " let the buyer beware " . Those of us who deal/trade honestly sometimes are the most likely to get burned if we do not watch out. I really enjoy when 2 dishonest people involved in a deal burn each other. I have also worked several technical support jobs where I had to ask the buyer " The saleseman told you it would do That, well you will have to talk to the salesman because it will not do that and never would. "

Ben in KY

/ Dealer quote experience #9  
I've seen an entire engine swap done on a Jeep, removing a V-8 and replacing it with a four cylinder.

That happened to a friend of mine. He bought a year old Ford diesel and got it home. They started looking at it and he didn't think it was the right engine. He got the #'s and sure enough it was an engine that Ford had on record as having 155,000 miles and this truck was only supposed to have 18,000 on it!

/ Dealer quote experience #10  
Just one other thought from me on this subject. It only takes one dishonest salesperson or technician to give the dealer a bad reputation. But one dishonest customer is just one dishonest customer. Not really fair but that seems to be the way it is.

Ben in KY