Tractor tires

/ Tractor tires #21  
No question about it R-1 tires are far superior in traction....especially mud and snow..I had a set of R-4 tires and they were virtually useless for my farm,I had to switch over to the R-1 tires and my tractor profile was raised somewhat and the traction increase was outstanding,it was like day and night.

/ Tractor tires #22  
The R4 tires will probably be your best bet. Their intended use is Industrial applications. They are very STIFF, have the most puncture resistant construction and provide a very poor ride. They were probably never intended for the purpose most of us use them for. It seems to me there is room for another type of tire with the more aggressive tread similar to an R4 but with softer side walls like a turf type. Punture resistance?--well--in the 21st century we live in there are materials other than nylon that are flexible and can provide puncture resistance without a harsh ride, of course the stiff side walls also help with holding up weight such as loader work so every thing is a compromise.
Byrd, I notice you are regular here again. I guess it is getting cold down in Texas so you are forced to stay in side and play on the computer OR are you considereing returning to the ownership clan and getting another tractor unit? Hope you are well and happy for this Christmas season. J

/ Tractor tires #23  
Lots of good advice here. Some of it is conflicting, which indicates to me that different tractors and ground conditions can yield different results, or at least different impressions of the results.

I am one who uses R-1s (just happened to come with the tractor). No tread is perfect for all conditions, but my advice is don't sell R-1s short. I use them for everything including mowing. They do imprint the grass at times, but the grass springs back in a short time. The extra traction, when needed, more than makes up for any drawbacks, in my opinion.

I agree with Walrus' post above. He and Rat are the only two I know of that have used both R-1s and R-4s and have felt inclined to post a strong opinion. In the Re: 4210 or 4310? thread in JD buying/pricing, Rat expresses his preference for R-1s over R-4s. I was hoping he would expound a bit more, as I too am trying to learn..., but, in any case, I have not been disappointed in my R-1s.

OkieG

/ Tractor tires #24  
I love my ag tires... for what it's worth.. I'll take the traction any day of the week.... besides.. my pasture doesn't care about imprints... the livestock does more damage to the ground than my tractor tires ever could.

Soundguy

/ Tractor tires #25  
I had the R-4 tires my 1st winter with the tractor...talk about frustration.......Don't think I mad my mind up I was not going to live with that aggrivation again!!!My JD 4400 looked like a size larger tractor after installing the R-1 tires,no to mention the go anywhere....capabilities.

/ Tractor tires #26  
Depends! On my sloped blacktop drive, when I had my 1720 with R1's and if it got at all slippery, the R1's couldn't have been any worse. The limited amount of contact made pushing snow extremely difficult to control. Anything short off constantly operating in 4wd and pushing completely downhill was impossible. At least with my R4's I have more traction when it gets slick. I agree otherwise, in deep snow and loose earth, R1's can't be beat. But, beware, if the ground isn't froze, or when mowing in the summer, the ribs will do damage. I see none of this with the R4's. I think the only reason some folks say they're a harsher ride is because many inflate them higher to take advantage of their additional capacity. If I was using a FEL, I wouldn't consider anything else. Many R1's are not rated to handle the load of a full bucket, even at maximum pressure. If in doubt, just search for all the references to R1's breaking the bead or leaking due to deflection with a full FEL bucket.

/ Tractor tires #27  
Most of the guys who have turf tires love 'em. Likewise, most guys with R-4s love their R-4s.

I hate to "push" R-1s on poor ol' Walt, just because that's what I have. Even though that may be the way my post comes across. However, I will say this, traction means a lot in a tractor. I've never had a chance to try R-4s, but I'll take Rat and Walrus' word on them. I have had Turf tires on my old (now defunct) lawn tractor, and nothing was more frustrating than to get stuck on wet, soft, FLAT yard and have to drive my truck over to pull the tractor off the slick stuff.

R-1s are no gaurantee that you won't get stuck or spin your tires. And don't get me wrong, I want my yard to look nice. But for me, tire impressions in the yard mean nothing when the adreniline of a "real" tractor project is flowing and you use all the traction you have to get it done.

OkieG

/ Tractor tires #28  
OkieG

<font color=orange>I will say this, traction means a lot in a tractor</font color=orange>

I agree with you as it seems as if the word tractor came from traction.

Seth

/ Tractor tires #29  
The front R-1s on my tractor came with inner tubes. There hasn't been a problem with losing air or breaking the bead so far, even with a maxed out loader bucket. Does an inner tube decrease the liklihood of breaking the bead?

My backhoe attachment is pretty heavy for my tractor. Once, traveling across a mild side slope with backhoe installed, my downhill rear tire dropped into a soft spot and broke the bead. It reinflated easily, and I was on my way. I never thought about it being related to the type of tire I was using. Do turf tires and R-4s not break the bead as easily? I really don't consider the one episode I had to be a problem, but I wonder if a tube for the rear tires would help?

OkieG

/ Tractor tires #30  
I am talking about mud and dirt...I do not have a lawn to worry about...I have a JD 4 in 1 loader on my JD 4400 and I have hauled rocks and stuff out of these West Virginia hollows that would pucker your rear end if you seen what I have hauled and where I hauled it from on my R-1 tires and no breaking of the bead on the rims....believe me I use a tractor and abuse it. I did not by my tractor to mow grass,I never was one to nit pick and prune a yard. I have definately overloaded my 4 in 1 loader and NEVER have broken a bead.The main thing is to make sure you plenty of air in the tires before you tackle the task. I have pushed mud with the front axles.If I was only going to shove a little snow on the asphalt and play around in the yard,R-4 tires would be fine..But since I put my tractor in the roughest of places...The R-1 tires have taken me there and back where the R-4 tires have failed me miserably(for my general farming application).If R-1 tires are a problem with a loader,how come my dealer was not concerned about my R-1 tires when they installed the loader?If I was going to operate on a hard surface and use the loader a lot IE: landscape supply or business,The R-4 tires would be the tire, no question about it.