Tractor tires

/ Tractor tires #1  

Anonymous Poster

I'll be buying a tractor this spring and already got alot of feedback from the forum on model, size etc., but I never thought about tires (I am really new at this). I'll be doing alot of landscaping initially, then mowing, snow plowing, yard maintence, etc. I was planning on turf tires but maybe R4's are better. I don't really kown what R4's are for. Any help out there?

/ Tractor tires #2  
Walt, R1 or ag tires for maximum traction, but may be hard on the turf, turf tires for going easy on the grass, but may lack traction at times, R4 or industrial tires are the compromise in between the other two./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif A few years ago, we hardly ever saw R4 tires on anything except commercial loader/backhoes and such, and now I don't actually have any statistics, but suspect there are more compact tractors sold with R4 tires than any other tire. The R4s are also more puncture resistant than the others.

/ Tractor tires #3  
I have turfs. I chose them because I thought 95% of my tractor usage would be mowing(turned out to be about 60% FEL time) They are very easy on the grass and do fine in snow on flat land. They also work well off road when its dry. I get enough traction that I can stall the tractor before the tires start spinning on hard dirt. I did have a few thorn punctures that I treated with slime. On side slopes in snow, the tractor wants to slide downhill. On very wet grass it will slide too. I've had them in light mud and they did OK, but my tractor is light weight and 4wd. In deep mud or wet clay I would be spinning. Most people that have the same tractor as me chose R4s and seem to be very happy. They report no problems on the lawn. After listening to them and experiencing turfs first hand, I don't know what I should do. If I need traction this winter or in mud, I'll probably get chains. Hope this helps, but it is pretty wishy washy /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Tractor tires
I have R4's. I really like mine, no ruts while finish mowing.
Lots of traction in the grass, dry and wet. If its soggy and pure mud, they'll clog quick, but thats like anything.
I just hit the 4wd, and avoid the area.

I do alot of FEL work also, I've never had an issue.
Never had a flat either, brushhogged over 50 hours this summer.... twice in a thorn infested minitree area ick!
I thought for sure I'd get a flat! nope

I just love my R4's for my small acreage... /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

ps. I have no idea what there like in snow, I've heard no problems, some mixed though, others can enlight :)

/ Tractor tires #5  
WALT: bird pretty much explains it. i choose R4'S they were best for me MOST of the time. there are times i wish i had ag's but then times i want turfs. nothing is going to be perfect all the time.pick the tire aggresiveness by wht u think u will need most of the time. best i can offer.

/ Tractor tires #6  
As Bird said..couple years ago or so R4's were new to the market.

If your planing on fel work & mowing slopes etc R4's are the cats meow.

Removing heavy snowstorm w/icy base etc..a set of chains might come in hand.

Less ruts equal less work w/ turf tires,but the traction not as good mowing steep slopes or a wintery heavy storm.

My 2cent worth.

/ Tractor tires #7  
Now my tractor is smaller then what you are going to be shopping for [I got a big garden tractor,w/2wd] But I have the best luck with ag[r1] tires. I use my tractor hard, some woods work, hills, lots of mowing, draging stuff, etc, and I had a lot of problems spinning the turfs. When it was a little damp, the woods got muddy, and parts of the yard got slick, and the turfs would just pack up. Well, after a year of using chains, I broke down and got a set of ag tires. I love them./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif No problem digging up the lawn,[granted it does not waigh as much as a bigger tractor, but with my fat a@@ on it, it is about 1500lbs]I have actulaty found it does less damage to my yard then spinning the turfs.

/ Tractor tires #8  
Draw back to the industrial tires are, they ride rougher. they have load capacities well above what a compact tractor will ever weigh. Even with letting the air pressure down to the point that they loose bead contact the sidewalls are stiff. Get tubes put in them from the start to eliminate that problem.

/ Tractor tires #9  
walt53
I have to agree with Bird, the R4 or industrial tires are more of a "dual use" tire than either the Ag or the turfs. On some surfaces, the R4s may offer more traction than the Ags. We get more customers wanting R4s every year. By the way, I think the tractors look better with R4 tires.
Lewis

/ Tractor tires
R4 tires seem to be more puncture resistant than ag tires. Especially the "baloons" that come on the front of many tractors equipped with ag tires. I know they resist thorn punctures a lot better.

Ben in KY