What's a fair price for Ford Tractor, JD Baler

/ What's a fair price for Ford Tractor, JD Baler #1  

Kip Gardner

Tractor
Ford 4000 Diesel
Greetings,

I'm new here, just getting a new farm up & running after a career in Environmental & Ag research and corporate crop trial farming. I live in NE Ohio.

There is a good estate auction coming up, with several Ford diesels up for sale (3000, 4000 and 5000) and a JD 336 baler (with kicker) among other implements. Can anyone give me an idea of what would be a reasonable price to pay at auction for any of these? I read the earlier threads on the 336, and it seems like a pretty reliable machine - comments? It's been more than 30 years since I had anything to do with growing forages, so I'm essentially starting over.

Thanks!

Kip Gardner

/ What's a fair price for Ford Tractor, JD Baler #2  
the prices on a GOOD 3000, 4000, 5000 could be anywher ein the 3-4500 range for the 3000 3500-5500 for the 4000 and 5000-6500 for the 5000.

can't comment on the hay machine..

local market and the economy will influence those prices too. so will overall condition of the machine.. and what optins it has. for instance a narrow front gasser 5000 is NOT going to bring the money of a ag model diesel...

soundguy

/ What's a fair price for Ford Tractor, JD Baler #3  
Do yourself a favour and buy a relatively new (or new), modern open station diesel tractor in the 40 -65 hp range, 4wd, and a loader. Brand should be defined by your nearest dealer(s). Otherwise, on hay day, you will be running to somewhere far away for parts (starter, batteries, water pump, tires, hoses, cables, generator, etc. Then in 20 or 30 years, the machine will be a little worn but still serviceable and not junk.

As for the 336, its probably one of the best JD balers but once again, where is the nearest JD dealer? Are you going to kick bales (need 2 or 3 kicker wagons), or drop them on the ground (don't need the kicker). And where is the help coming from (you and Mom, kids, neighbors, friends, hay customers) ?

Buy it now. Stuff isn't getting more expensive, our money is rapidly becoming worth-less. You don't print 1.5 trillion unearned dollars without paying a price for it.

/ What's a fair price for Ford Tractor, JD Baler #4  
i thionk those tractors would sell for $3000 to $5000 or less.if they go higher id be shocked.JD 335 baler if in great baling shape an field ready is worth $2000 to $4000.

/ What's a fair price for Ford Tractor, JD Baler #5  
Good luck but in my neck of the woods people get stupid at auctions and spend 125% or more what things are worth. I stopped going.

Case in point I wanted a 3 point BH. A friend told me of one at at local auction. I went and previewed it. Well used but not worn out. Did some research and found out they were $4500 brand new 3 hours from my house. Went to the auction and it sold for $4730. I would have not give a penny over $2500 for it.

Chris

/ What's a fair price for Ford Tractor, JD Baler #6  
Good luck but in my neck of the woods people get stupid at auctions and spend 125% or more what things are worth. I stopped going.

Case in point I wanted a 3 point BH. A friend told me of one at at local auction. I went and previewed it. Well used but not worn out. Did some research and found out they were $4500 brand new 3 hours from my house. Went to the auction and it sold for $4730. I would have not give a penny over $2500 for it.

Chris

Many folks are finding that used equipment in a dealer's yard is often (certainly not always) priced favorably to an auction environment. This is a fairly recent phenomonon driven, I suppose, by the perception that bargains abound at auctions.

Look for comparables here:
Used Tractors For Sale at TractorHouse.com: John Deere Tractors, used farm tractors and farm equipment, tractors for sale, Case IH, New Holland, Agco, Kubota
and here:
Used Tractors and Farm Machinery for sale by Fastline

/ What's a fair price for Ford Tractor, JD Baler #7  
Greetings,

I'm new here, just getting a new farm up & running after a career in Environmental & Ag research and corporate crop trial farming. I live in NE Ohio.

There is a good estate auction coming up, with several Ford diesels up for sale (3000, 4000 and 5000) and a JD 336 baler (with kicker) among other implements. Can anyone give me an idea of what would be a reasonable price to pay at auction for any of these? I read the earlier threads on the 336, and it seems like a pretty reliable machine - comments? It's been more than 30 years since I had anything to do with growing forages, so I'm essentially starting over.

Thanks!

Kip Gardner

JD 336 baler: $3000-5000 on eBay (depending on condition). You need to check the baler over carefully (don't be fooled by a rattle-can paint job). Pay close attention to the knotters. If parts looks worn or damaged, you'll have to replace them and retime the baler. The good news is that parts are available from many sources and setting up a baler isn't that difficult (mine is a Massey Ferguson 124 small square baler, similar to the 336).

Can't help you on the Fords.

Good luck.

/ What's a fair price for Ford Tractor, JD Baler #8  
I can't comment on the tractors but around here (SE SD) the 336's are going for between 3000 and 3500, really nice ones are over 4000. My Grandpa had a 336 that went over 3000 bales between misses, still considers it the best baler ever. I found a very gently used 24t for $1,000. just needed a good washing and grease job and runs like a champ. The deals are out there you just have to look harder for them.

/ What's a fair price for Ford Tractor, JD Baler #9  
I can't comment on the tractors but around here (SE SD) the 336's are going for between 3000 and 3500, really nice ones are over 4000. My Grandpa had a 336 that went over 3000 bales between misses, still considers it the best baler ever. I found a very gently used 24t for $1,000. just needed a good washing and grease job and runs like a champ. The deals are out there you just have to look harder for them.

Bought a good 336 at auction in Platte this past Spring. Great shape - shedded and new knotters. Paid $3,000. Did not miss a single bale this summer.

Can't speak to the Ford tractor prices - except you should look for a tractor in the 45hp range at least.

AKfish

/ What's a fair price for Ford Tractor, JD Baler
Thanks for everyone who commented. It's been nearly 40 years since I had anything to do with forage crops, and that was limited, so the advice is very appreciated.